Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
They still have not named the victim? What's with that?

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Originally Posted by Hubert
This is why I always carry a 9mm G-19 when in Bear Country...

That would really pizz a grizzely bear off..

Yes...I understand that no respectable professional with a good reputation would ever carry such an inadequate piece of crap...but hey, it's all I can afford...

so you are a professional what? bear guide? or you just trying to be a smart azz?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is why I always carry a 9mm G-19 when in Bear Country...

That would really pizz a grizzely bear off..

Yes...I understand that no respectable professional with a good reputation would ever carry such an inadequate piece of crap...but hey, it's all I can afford...

so you are a professional what? bear guide? or you just trying to be a smart azz?

Sure...in reference to 458Win's incident a while back...I figger everyone here is up on that...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by easttex
Have they released a name?

According to a poster on another AK site the persons name is Dan Schilling.

Last edited by dedity; 08/02/20.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
That was my fear, but I hate to pass it on without confirmation.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is what I have heard, also, but without confirmation. Would be very sad if true.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Now that sucks.......

My weapon of choice would be a well tuned short barrel Marlin........

45 Colt...45-70 or the 450.......full nuts loads

Remember 'well tuned'

Or a high cap 10mm semi pistol.....

Every encounter I'm sure is different....how much time would you have ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am waiting to hear a factual report.
And while many on these forums like all the gun pontificating , the fact is that only a gun you have readily available on you is of any use. And a little SIG 9mm on your belt trumps the handcannon you left in the vehicle or set aside while you worked.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

As we all know.......

ya need to control that hand cannon to be effective

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
And while many on these forums like all the gun pontificating , the fact is that only a gun you have readily available on you is of any use. And a little SIG 9mm on your belt trumps the handcannon you left in the vehicle or set aside while you worked.

Yup, and if it was Dan, he was not a novice...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It seems even more tragic to get mauled and killed in a place called Hope.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We all have bear rifles and pistols here but also have bears in the yard on occasion, Our Karelians are a huge help but sometimes one just wanders in from down wind,,my wife got charged cutting fish and was paranoid of hitting the dogs she probably shot to high but the report drove him off. I rarely carry while working around here,, a possible statisic in the making??

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterrat

We all have bear rifles and pistols here but also have bears in the yard on occasion, Our Karelians are a huge help but sometimes one just wanders in from down wind,,my wife got charged cutting fish and was paranoid of hitting the dogs she probably shot to high but the report drove him off. I rarely carry while working around here,, a possible statisic in the making??

Anything can happen rat, big difference is your smart. That mass between your ears is better than a gun at times

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here in New Jersey we have a bear problem. Leftist governors stopped the bear hunt for 30+ years, and we now have more bears per square mile than anywhere else. A few years ago there was a bear sighting in a park. Hikers came out of the woods and warned another hiker not to go in. He did, and the bear killed him. I just got an email from a buddy living in that same town saying that a man went for a walk leaving his garage door open. A bear went into the garage, probably smelling garbage. The homeowner returned and got mauled by the bear.

A friend of mine shot and killed a black bear during the archery season three years ago. It dressed out at 679.5 lbs. That was less than five miles from where I sit. I live about 20 miles from NYC.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Here in New Jersey we have a bear problem. Leftist governors stopped the bear hunt for 30+ years, and we now have more bears per square mile than anywhere else. A few years ago there was a bear sighting in a park. Hikers came out of the woods and warned another hiker not to go in. He did, and the bear killed him. I just got an email from a buddy living in that same town saying that a man went for a walk leaving his garage door open. A bear went into the garage, probably smelling garbage. The homeowner returned and got mauled by the bear.

A friend of mine shot and killed a black bear during the archery season three years ago. It dressed out at 679.5 lbs. That was less than five miles from where I sit. I live about 20 miles from NYC.

Start sending them over the bridge....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Believe that was the incident in West Milford, NJ. An 82 year old man walked in his garage and was attacked by a black bear that was trying to open his refrigerator. 30 stitches. The bear was believed to have been the one that invaded a few other houses in previous weeks and was found and euthanized. Prime bear territory.
An 813 lb. male black bear taken in Monroe County (just across the Delaware River from NJ) was the largest taken during the 2019 PA season.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 38 Special right up under his or her chin is better than poking them in them in the eye while their chewing on you.

Sorry to hear about this.

Always had a revolver next to my pillow while hunting in Alaska. Figured a rifle would be of no use if they were standing on it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we all forget to bring that handgun sometimes when we are in the woods and swamps and that`s when this can happen ,i hope for all of us its not a dejavu because i have had that nightmare dream already .

Last edited by pete53; 08/02/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Like coyotes, a truly opportunistic forager.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by pete53
we all forget to bring that handgun sometimes when we are in the woods and swamps and that`s when this can happen ,i hope for all of us its not a dejavu because i have had that nightmare dream already .

I disagree, woods, store, home wear it always, practice often. Anything less is fooling yourself.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
331 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.