Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My main worry is always a fly strike on these wounds.

My bunch is rooting under and bulling through old fencing on this place. This was a hog, cattle and tobacco farm. Lots of cuts and scrapes on the backs.

Raccoon fights a couple times a year. Lol had an armadillo on the steps 2 weeks ago. Crunch!!

They are outside dogs but I have her kenneled on my back hot tub deck with only access to a 16x24 grassy run.

Got a child’s wading pool, mini trampoline she likes to lay on, has all her pillows and I can monitor her food without the other gluttons nosing through her food.

So far appetite is fully intact.

I wipe her coat down with deet or permanone to try to repel the bugs. The heat has been rough lately, she started digging a dirt hole next to the deck foundation. Another challenge to keep diet and filth away from those sores.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://www.farnam.com/all-products/wound-care/wound-kote

Should help some w flies.

We have used this stuff on dogs, mules/horses, even sprayed it on some ringworm I had once.

Don't know if it helped my ringworm or not but it didn't last long.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I thought the country way was to pack wheel bearing grease in open wounds.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We use Vetericyn plus spray on the cows and dogs, works excellent. You need some of that. Combi-pen or any penicillin squirted directly into the wound channel with a syringe minus the needle works good after you clean the infection out. Blu-Kote is another good spray to combat infection and flies.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
https://www.ruralking.com/duke-dog-proof-coon-trap-0510

These will fix your coon problem, use them judiciously, AND you can get them from your favorite retailer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I thought the country way was to pack wheel bearing grease in open wounds.

Pine rosen.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Could be resistant, will get a culture.

Wish they let me do the swab instead of hauling her in. Id pay extra or whatever.

Be switching vets, if these flushes dont start producing results.

Next nearest vet is a 20 mile ride. Theyre not good riders. I wish they were.

I have some cephalexin but I dont want to keep subjecting to her flavor of the month antibiotics

Your vet might let you get a culture. Mine lets me give my dog injections.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got to keep the 9mm brass too

Just like my dad letting me keep the change when he took me to the fair once

..............once

What about the Oreo cookies after renegade licked the cream out of the middle?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My main worry is always a fly strike on these wounds.

My bunch is rooting under and bulling through old fencing on this place. This was a hog, cattle and tobacco farm. Lots of cuts and scrapes on the backs.

Raccoon fights a couple times a year. Lol had an armadillo on the steps 2 weeks ago. Crunch!!

They are outside dogs but I have her kenneled on my back hot tub deck with only access to a 16x24 grassy run.

Got a child’s wading pool, mini trampoline she likes to lay on, has all her pillows and I can monitor her food without the other gluttons nosing through her food.

So far appetite is fully intact.

I wipe her coat down with deet or permanone to try to repel the bugs. The heat has been rough lately, she started digging a dirt hole next to the deck foundation. Another challenge to keep diet and filth away from those sores.

Damn, slum. You're fighting on 4 fronts.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Slum

Cephalexin or augmentin would cover her better for pasteurella canis( nasty bacteria in a dogs mouth). Not sure how hard that would be for your to get your hands on for a dog?? Augmentin would be the preferred. The peroxide is likely killing the healing granulation tissue as well as bacteria making it very hard for the wound to heal up. Start using just soap and water Instead and see if it starts getting better.

Hopefully your dog turns the corner soon!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My lab got bit in the face last summer. Not as bad as yours, but still nasty. I thought I was doing good using peroxide, but like kevinJ mentioned above, the vet informed me I was likely doing more harm than good. Dawn soap and water on open wounds from now on.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Peroxide is great to use on a fresh injury, but it oxidizes tissue killing the new granulation tissue trying to close the wound up. So after initial cleaning move to antibacterial soap and water. Same with betadine

I have had a few dogs get injured over the years. Wounds on dogs can be very troublesome to get healed up. Dogs are just gonna get dirt, slobber, and flies on the wound making it even harder. Sounds like slumlord is staying on top of it though so I’m sure she will come around soon.

Bactroban( mupirocin ointment) that he is using is great for wounds like this as well. I always keep it at home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.