Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/08/bear-euthanized-after-attacking-nj-man-in-his-garage.html

A black bear that attacked a man in North Jersey was euthanized by the state earlier this week.

The state Division of Fish and Wildlife trapped and killed the suspected problem bear on Tuesday in West Milford, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection said in a statement.

The DEP believes the bear, which had entered multiple homes in the past week, was the same one that attacked a man in his garage on July 24.

The victim of that attack, 82-year-old Ronald Jelinek, was left with more than 30 stitches, according to a NorthJersey.com report. Jelinek, who lives in the High Crest Lake section of West Milford, was reportedly attacked when he walked in on the bear trying to get into a refrigerator.

Jelinek declined to comment when reached by NJ Advance Media.

This is the only bear attack recorded so far in 2020. It is extremely rare that black bears attack humans.

New Jersey didn’t have a recorded fatal bear attack on a person until 2014, when 22-year-old Darsh Patel, a Rutgers student and Edison native, was killed by a black bear while hiking with friends in the Apshawa Preserve, which is also in West Milford. The attack on Patel could be considered to be “one in a million,” experts said at the time.

This year, between January 1 and July 21, there have been 200 bear sightings around New Jersey, according to DEP data. That’s about a 90% increase from the same time period in 2019, when there were 105 sightings statewide.

The number of Category 1 bear incidents, in which state policy is to euthanize the responsible bear, has remained mostly steady. There have been 23 Category 1 incidents from January 1 to July 21 this year, compared to 22 during the same time last year.

But the number of reported home entries by bears has more than doubled in those comparisons, with nine this year compared to four in the same time during 2019.

Those numbers do not include Jelinek’s bear encounter, which occurred a few days after that date range.

The DEP said earlier this year that bear sightings may be up because more people are at home, thanks to the coronavirus.

“This is the time of year when bears are looking for habitat, particularly younger males that have left their mothers,” DEP spokesman Larry Hajna said at the start of July. “Reports may have increased due to more people being at home seeing bears as they disperse into habitats.”

The surging number of bear sightings and incidents has rekindled debate over New Jersey’s bear hunt, with hunting advocates like the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance using the statistics to call for an expansion of the annual season.

Gov. Phil Murphy campaigned on a promise to end the state’s bear hunt, a move called for by animal rights activists and some environmental groups. But the governor is unable to take such action on his own, as the state’s hunting regulations are approved by the New Jersey Fish and Game Council.

While he is unable to end the hunt outright, Murphy did ban bear hunting on state lands in 2018. That ban remains in effect.

In January 2018, just days before Murphy took office, a report from state wildlife officials warned that ending the bear hunt could cause New Jersey’s bear population to double by 2022.

The numbers of bears killed by hunters has dropped since Murphy’s restrictions went into effect. There were 225 bears harvested in New Jersey in 2018, and 315 harvested in 2019. Both are down from the 409 bears harvested in 2017, the last hunt under former Gov. Chris Christie.

New Jersey’s 2020 bear hunt is scheduled to begin Oct. 12.

To reduce the risk of dangerous encounters with bears, the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife recommends taking steps to keep sources of food, birdseed, trash and other things that may attract the animals out of reach. These steps range from using bear-resistant garbage containers and avoiding feeding birds when bears are active, to regularly cleaning outdoor grills and removing fruits and nuts that fall from trees into your yard.

People who do encounter a bear should remain calm, make the bear aware of their presence by speaking assertively and making noise, avoid direct eye contact with the bear and allow the allow to have an escape route, according to state safety tips.

Black bear sightings and suspected instances of bear nuisance in New Jersey should be reported to the DEP’s 24-hour, toll-free hotline at 1-877-WARN DEP (1-877-927-6337).

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black bear.
White guy.
Liberal state.
Wow.
Bet there will be a protest.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hope the old guy'll be ok. He can thank Governor Beaver Teeth for his anti-bear hunting policies. Last year he banned bear hunting on all Wildlife Management Areas - land purchased with funds from the purchase of hunting/fishing licenses and permits. Our land!
I hope Mr. Jelinek will remember that on election day. But this is New Jersey, so I doubt it.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is for real! Twenty years ago Tony Soprano had a black bear in his back yard. Tony was going to whack it with an AK.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that this will be more common in these areas where man and animals meet.

I hope the old man was given the hide, tanned and finished to his liking AND the meat for his trouble.
Those should be battle scars for his grand kids to see and steaks on the grill!
If it was done by our state, the gt would toss it over my hill while I'm not home...polute my ground water and make it unbreathable.

The animals became food for man and fear set in once they were re-established after the great worldwide flood.

This is the.command that God laid down after sparing mankind, made in His image.

Genesis 9:5
“And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.”

King James Version

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black Bears Matter!

New Jersey Sucks.

God Bless America
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope the bear was “euthanized “ humanely.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They didn't say how it was euthanized. But if it were the state environmental guys I'm sure they had some approved humane method. I had a young black bear move into the woods next to me some years ago. Didn't harm anyone but was raiding the usual stuff like bird feeders and trash. The state environmental conservation guys trapped it in a big cage and relocated it. But while the bear was my next door neighbor for a while I had some suitable armament handy at all times in case I was forced to do some emergency euthanizing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot trap with the guy who euthanizes the bears in New Jersey, it's usually a .22 in the right ear!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How is that the only bear attack recorded in 2020? Maybe they meant just New Jersey

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako76
I shoot trap with the guy who euthanizes the bears in New Jersey, it's usually a .22 in the right ear!

What does he do with the meat?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Why was the guy in the bears garage! I guess “Jersey” doesn’t recognize the “Castle Doctrine”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't it seem like this is way more of an issue where bears aren't hunted extensively? I have a camp in WI in an area where bears are hunted with dogs. I just don't hear of this stuff up there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Makintrax73

Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't it seem like this is way more of an issue where bears aren't hunted extensively? I have a camp in WI in an area where bears are hunted with dogs. I just don't hear of this stuff up there.

Correct.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
I hope the bear was “euthanized “ humanely.

This post was tongue in cheek.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
What does he do with the meat? It all goes in a dump on the State Game Lands (including the skulls).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Too many Libtards in NJ, OK with me if some get bit in the azz by the same bear they "protected"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

In the TV interview that follows, the person being interviewed claimed it was "cruel and inhuman" to put a Trump sticker on the bear's collar. Chortle.

Question: would a Biden sticker be "cruel and inhuman". How about a Pokemon sticker, or Dora the Explorer sticker?

Really?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.