Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Serious question,

Should the slides have front and rear sights machined in, as permanent fixtures, set at the center of the slide with the ability to swap out different colored or tritium embedded dots?

Or maybe have the rear sight set in with a pin and slot, so that it's immovable for windage?

Or should they be as they are, rear sight driftable for windage?

Should backstraps be interchangeable, or set as a one size fits all "take it as it is" approach?

Thanks

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock sights are easily replaced as is. And the latest generations of Glock have interchangeable backstraps. All that is a good thing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what's wrong, must be me, I often gave the rear sight adjusted way off the side.

I despise a gun with totally fixed sights.

Even if you don't need adjustment, easy replacement is a nice option.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nobody looks at sights exactly the same. Add in small manufacturing variances, ammunition changes, etc and having the ability to adjust your sights accordingly is appropriate.

Bearing that in mind, the vast majority of the time that a pistol has the rear sight adjust grossly to one side or another, that is often an indicator of the user having performance issues that need to be worked on. Often you will get lots of "helpful"/well meaning advice from folks who will parrot what they have heard others say, or read in an article. 95% of the times it won't help. Find an accomplished USPSA shooter, someone who actually wins as well who knows how to coach and diagnose issues.

In your case I would go out with coach and have them shoot your gun, and you theirs.

In your case look into sympathetic reflex as a possible issue.

Sympathetic reflex is where as the shooter squeezes the trigger they squeeze the rest of their fingers simultaneously, tightening the grip on the gun. This, for a right handed shooter almost always causes them to pull the shots to the left. This is a multi part issue of learning of to properly grip a handgun, trigger control, and anticipation of recoil. There is a good bit to it. However there are some great videos out there on how to properly grip a pistol.

World champ Bob Vogel is one guy to really pay attention to when it comes to properly gripping and shooting a pistol.

Lots of great info on how to properly grip in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU2BuId3Kho

Here he is with more advice and some shooting fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3V9w_tl4k

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Everything Mackay said and I'll add that while the interchangeable backstraps are cute and trendy, they're not going to correct a fugked up grip or trigger placement.

The main benefit on a Glock is the option of a beavertail because the different grip angle does cause bite on some shooters. So that can be a great benefit but it shouldn't be changing POI when you're shooting the gun.

Another unique factor involving Glocks is that the pin and mechanism sits right of center. If a shooter tends to shoot left, they will do more so with a Glock. It's not 100% but it is common.

When people start pushing sights on duty-style guns you have to ask yourself a very simple and pragmatic question:

"Am I going to do this for every shooter?"

The answer is a resounding no. You fix the shooter, not the guns.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not sure what's wrong, must be me, I often gave the rear sight adjusted way off the side.

You never learned how to shoot a handgun.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't worry deprave will instruct you by showing a video of himself putting them into the same hole at 50 yards with his Glock Gen5 9MM Miraculous Farce.
Hold onto your seat because it will be awesome. The ORACLE is in the building. Greatness will be upon us.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 08/03/20.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Don't worry deprave will instruct you by showing a video of himself putting them into the same hole at 50 yards with his Glock Gen5 9MM Miraculous Farce.
Hold onto your seat because it will be awesome. The ORACLE is in the building. Greatness will be upon us.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

You never learned how to shoot a handgun.

I can hit [bleep].
But that doesn't mean I'm not wrong, maybe just consistent.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I can hit [bleep].

There are many varieties of handguns on this earth.

But Glocks are duty-guns.

If a person needs a factory Glock adjusted, they are doing something wrong as a shooter.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I can hit [bleep].

There are many varieties of handguns on this earth.

But Glocks are duty-guns.

If a person needs a factory Glock adjusted, they are doing something wrong as a shooter.

Many companies make duty guns: Heckler & Koch, Fabrique Nationale, Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Walther,......
I don't mind plastic sights. Long time ago I had "duty-type" metal-framed S&W with plastic sights. They were ok.
My Glock still has original sights installed, the bullets hit where they supposed to.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Nobody looks at sights exactly the same. Add in small manufacturing variances, ammunition changes, etc and having the ability to adjust your sights accordingly is appropriate.

Bearing that in mind, the vast majority of the time that a pistol has the rear sight adjust grossly to one side or another, that is often an indicator of the user having performance issues that need to be worked on. Often you will get lots of "helpful"/well meaning advice from folks who will parrot what they have heard others say, or read in an article. 95% of the times it won't help. Find an accomplished USPSA shooter, someone who actually wins as well who knows how to coach and diagnose issues.

In your case I would go out with coach and have them shoot your gun, and you theirs.

Sympathetic reflex is where as the shooter squeezes the trigger they squeeze the rest of their fingers simultaneously, tightening the grip on the gun. This, for a right handed shooter almost always causes them to pull the shots to the left. This is a multi part issue of learning of to properly grip a handgun, trigger control, and anticipation of recoil. There is a good bit to it. However there are some great videos out there on how to properly grip a pistol.

World champ Bob Vogel is one guy to really pay attention to when it comes to properly gripping and shooting a pistol.

Cheers!

Thanks for the well thought out response Mackay.

I am all for a drift adjustable rear, and removable fronts. As you say, it allows for all the variances you noted.

I was curious how many on here honestly believe a Glock's sights should be left as set from the factory. And if the sights are perfect as is, why isn't the frame. If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.

MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.

MONEY

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.

MONEY

And shidty shooters that won't fix themselves and would rather fugg around with sights, grips, etc. Yeah I know. But still the question remains.

If the sights are perfect as is, then they ought to be pinned, welded, or integrally machined into place. They could drop the price point and sell even more of them.

Or maybe, just maybe...... They aren't always perfect. Or maybe there are shooters who could benefit from a slight adjustment, whose grip, etc etc isn't all fugged up.

nah, couldn't be. laugh

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock plastic sights are really just slot fillers. I detest the damned things. Actual sights are steel, I like a tritium for up front and either plain black on the back or a single tritium dot for a figure eight dot over dot sight picture.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slavek

Many companies make duty guns: Heckler & Koch, Fabrique Nationale, Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Walther,......
I don't mind plastic sights. Long time ago I had "duty-type" metal-framed S&W with plastic sights. They were ok.
My Glock still has original sights installed, the bullets hit where they supposed to.

You can't afford any of them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MOGC
Glock plastic sights are really just slot fillers. I detest the damned things. Actual sights are steel, I like a tritium for up front and either plain black on the back or a single tritium dot for a figure eight dot over dot sight picture.

To be clear, Gruff is not complaining about the factory sights on a Glock.

He has a theory that each individual weapon should be adjusted to a respective shooter.

He rejects the notion that sights should be centered on the handgun and the shooter just be adjusted from that point forward.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Cheers!

Spot on! When I first transitioned to a striker fured pistol I was consistently shooting left. After careful assessment I realized that I was pushing my shots left with an improper trigger pull. I corrected this flaw and the pistol started shooting to point of aim

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To be clear, Gruff is not complaining about the factory sights on a Glock.

He has a theory that each individual weapon should be adjusted to a respective shooter.

He rejects the notion that sights should be centered on the handgun and the shooter just be adjusted from that point forward.

Ahhh... I see, said the blind man. Those typical striker fired gun groups that are low left groups 10" away from center are shooter error. Pretty common for new shooters. Nice tight round groups that are consistently a couple inches off one way or another probably need a slight tweak of the sights.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ahhh... I see, said the blind man. Those typical striker fired gun groups that are low left groups 10" away from center are shooter error.

Yep. Once upon a time that described my pistol shooting. After listening to the real pistolero's this forum I realized i was doing it wrong, and fixed it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.