Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Got my truck gun out yesterday for my grandson to bang away at some rocks and just happened to notice both rings are cracked clear through the clamping screws. I’ve never seen or heard about these coming apart. Scope is a leupold 6x36 so not exactly a heavyweight. Browning stainless stalker in 22-250 so not much of a kicker either.

Thanks, Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you use a torque driver or tighten them by feel?

Probably the same question Talley will ask.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by azrancher
Got my truck gun out yesterday for my grandson to bang away at some rocks and just happened to notice both rings are cracked clear through the clamping screws. I’ve never seen or heard about these coming apart. Scope is a leupold 6x36 so not exactly a heavyweight. Browning stainless stalker in 22-250 so not much of a kicker either.

Thanks, Fred

That happens with them or so Big Stick says.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I used a wheeler fat baby torque wrench but can’t remember the inch pounds off hand. That scope’s been on there at least 10 years. I haven’t shot it in a while.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You must be talking about the lightweights. In my experience and that of a couple friends, even properly torqued they seem prone to failure as you've experienced. Talley will replace them for you. They seem to be the leupold of rings, working fine until suddenly they don't, with free replacement once you get home. All of which isn't really any help at all if you're out on a hunt at the time. Their QD rings are outstanding however.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, Talley's are guaranteed. I use a Wheeler FAT wrench on my rings and mounts and torque to specs, and I had a pair of lightweights break a little over a year ago. I wrote Talley, and they asked for a picture. I sent them one and a week later I had two new top halves of the rings in the mail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You must be talking about the lightweights. In my experience and that of a couple friends, even properly torqued they seem prone to failure as you've experienced. Talley will replace them for you. They seem to be the leupold of rings, working fine until suddenly they don't, with free replacement once you get home. All of which isn't really any help at all if you're out on a hunt at the time. Their QD rings are outstanding however.

I just put a set of the screw-detachable Talleys on a Mauser. Very nice stuff, and priced to match.

No trouble with the lightweights yet. I torque them to no more than 20 inch pounds, and that's held on rifles up to .30/06 with scopes up to about a pound, not for many rounds though.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They will replace them. They stand behind their products

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I suggest you switch to DNZ Game Reaper mount. I've had excellent service from DNZ mounts!

I've heard and seen too many instances just like you had with Talley rings.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 08/02/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had it happen twice. After exploring many options, I've gone straight utilitarian with picatinny on everything.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been using the lightweight Talleys on two NULAS, a .308 (ten years and many rounds) and a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart (eight years and well over two thousand rounds) without problems. Tighten to specs. The Talley staff is great to deal with.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've had it happen twice. After exploring many options, I've gone straight utilitarian with picatinny on everything.

I really wish a company would focus on making LOW pic bases. I could care less if the spacing where the screws are located isn't straight mil-spec if they have to make one wider to accommodate the attachment screws.

Burris XT two piece is the closest thing but I'd like to see the same as a one piece....even if it had only a partial width over the action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I really wish a company would focus on making LOW pic bases. I could care less if the spacing where the screws are located isn't straight mil-spec if they have to make one wider to accommodate the attachment screws.

Burris XT two piece is the closest thing but I'd like to see the same as a one piece....even if it had only a partial width over the action.

+1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been saying this for over a decade.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane

+1.

add me to that list as well

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use the Talley bases and rings. Don’t like the lightweights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Color me ignorant. What are LOW pic bases?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not so HIGH pic bases.....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If there were a demand for low picatinny rings and bases they would make them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.