-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot to be said for Weaver/PIC stuff, including easy switching of optics. On the ones I'm using, I put Burris Zee rings, usually the Signature ones with inserts, which hold well and don't mark the scope. Since I hunt close to home it's not really a necessity, but they also permit the carrying of a lightweight backup sight like a FastFire in case of whoopsies. Generally I don't use rails on bolt guns because they block access to the action somewhat, but they are no doubt somewhat stronger.

Still, the Talleys LWs are light and low, so I'll continue to use them where they work for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Color me ignorant. What are LOW pic bases?

Low Picatinny Rails.

See third section...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...catinny-rail-heights-listed#Post14214699

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Color me ignorant. What are LOW pic bases?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I'll kill to be that

steering wheel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There's a lot to be said for Weaver/PIC stuff, including easy switching of optics. On the ones I'm using, I put Burris Zee rings, usually the Signature ones with inserts, which hold well and don't mark the scope. Since I hunt close to home it's not really a necessity, but they also permit the carrying of a lightweight backup sight like a FastFire in case of whoopsies. Generally I don't use rails on bolt guns because they block access to the action somewhat, but they are no doubt somewhat stronger.

Still, the Talleys LWs are light and low, so I'll continue to use them where they work for me.

It's a shame Burris makes their mounts and rings in CHINA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Pappy348

It's a shame Burris makes their mounts and rings in CHINA.

I agree, and hope some changes are coming in that regard. However, we all have choices to make about such stuff, not just scope rings, but stuff like appliances and electronics, which are almost all made there now. Gonna take some time to wean off of cheap goods made in countries where the governments, if not necessarily the people, are our enemies. Burris is far from the only optics company that has some of their stuff made there. Let THEM know how you feel about it. Pretty sure most here already do. Just not buying stuff doesn't let a company know why.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Call and complain enough and say you are never using or recommending their lightweight crap again, and maybe they will give you a deal on some good bases and rings.

People want to shave every hair of an ounce, and then complain when it sacrifices strength. Can't have everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KenMi
Call and complain enough and say you are never using or recommending their lightweight crap again, and maybe they will give you a deal on some good bases and rings.

People want to shave every hair of an ounce, and then complain when it sacrifices strength. Can't have everything.

They sell the cheapest azz screws for their rings as well. I won't use them anymore.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've had it happen twice. After exploring many options, I've gone straight utilitarian with picatinny on everything.

I really wish a company would focus on making LOW pic bases. I could care less if the spacing where the screws are located isn't straight mil-spec if they have to make one wider to accommodate the attachment screws.

Burris XT two piece is the closest thing but I'd like to see the same as a one piece....even if it had only a partial width over the action.

Murphy will make a rail as low as possible. The catch is math. The lugs have to be a certain height and the rail has to be thick enough to accommodate a proper screw head. Yes as a general rule most rails could be shaved down, but not by much. Observe how deep the screw head is recessed below the rail, and thats how much height can be easily shaved. Then the question becomes where to take the material from, the screw head or drilling the screw head recess in the rail deeper, both of which reduces strength, which is why we want it in the first place. Maybe a rail with action specific lug pattern is an option, with a lug centered over each screw, and the screw recessed in the lug with no overlap into the rail.

The best solution is an action with an integral rail.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If there were a demand for low picatinny rings and bases they would make them.

Yes, apparently most hunters don't have enough sense to demand a robust mount.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Their QD rings are outstanding however.

Guaranteed to be off center, pos! and not answer enquiries to why their QD rings are not machined to be on the center line of the rifle. Will never deal with these arses again!!!!!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, I have several of the steel bases and rings, most QD, and they have all been superb. It’s a great company who prides itself on their products and service. The retired founder, Dave Talley, has been a personal friend for a long time, as has the current president and CEO, Gary Turner, his step son. There are no finer people.

No outfit is perfect, and I’m quite sure a polite call will get any issues fixed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had it happen twice. After exploring many options, I've gone straight utilitarian with picatinny on everything.

I really wish a company would focus on making LOW pic bases. I could care less if the spacing where the screws are located isn't straight mil-spec if they have to make one wider to accommodate the attachment screws.

Burris XT two piece is the closest thing but I'd like to see the same as a one piece....even if it had only a partial width over the action.

Murphy will make a rail as low as possible. The catch is math. The lugs have to be a certain height and the rail has to be thick enough to accommodate a proper screw head. Yes as a general rule most rails could be shaved down, but not by much. Observe how deep the screw head is recessed below the rail, and thats how much height can be easily shaved. Then the question becomes where to take the material from, the screw head or drilling the screw head recess in the rail deeper, both of which reduces strength, which is why we want it in the first place. Maybe a rail with action specific lug pattern is an option, with a lug centered over each screw, and the screw recessed in the lug with no overlap into the rail.

The best solution is an action with an integral rail.

Yes, and integral rail as part of the action would be great. Defiance does it with a few of their actions in different ways but I haven't handled one....just from pictures it looks as high as an added rail....but I don't know that for sure. Strength would certainly be a plus. At a low height, with a multi-slotted section over the front and rear, this would be the perfect answer.

Concerning rail height, the Burris XT two piece shows it can be done....but they used steel, not aluminum. They have holes in non-mil spaced lugs and in these have plenty of room to use bigger screw heads. Their screw heads seem small to me, but I've not had one give yet and I'm running them on a light weight .308 (19 oz scope/APA rings), and a .375 Ruger (22 oz scope/Seekins rings).

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If there were a demand for low picatinny rings and bases they would make them.

Yes, apparently most hunters don't have enough sense to demand a robust mount.

Integral rings like JM pointed out are crazy strong , near alpha hunters are crazy strong but expensive. Burris makes a low 2 piece pic mount and Farrell and APA make low rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that Talley switched the metallurgy in their LWs to a cheaper alloy several years ago (10 maybe)? The OP may have one of the oldest pairs of the "new" rings, which seem prone to breaking in the exact manner that he describes.
Like usual, a specialty company that produces a solid product eventually tries to save $ by using cheaper materials, and their end product quality goes down the drain. Leupold did the same. I wouldn't doubt that at some point, SWFA and burris does the same.

I've still got a few pairs of older lightweights that are going strong but their newer stuff just isn't worth buying. I don't care how good a warranty is if a guy has to use it often.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With over two dozen, my experience is quite different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The chicken-[bleep] screws are the weakest linking the base to the receiver but you can only go so big. I've had nothing but excellent luck with Talley for twenty plus years and dozens of ring/base combos.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still don't understand why Talley doesn't offer a set of rings called "Wackers".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I still don't understand why Talley doesn't offer a set of rings called "Wackers".

They figure most folks already have a pair of those.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad

They figure most folks already have a pair of those.

A pair?

I imagine most guys only have one.......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.