Print Thread
Hop To
J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have a Cooper m21 varminter .204 Ruger stock that is broken in a staircase pattern at the wrist. It is AA Clairo Walnut and was wondering if this would be cost effective to repair?

The previous barreled action has been sold, but I was also considering if I could put another action in this? Cooped will not sell me just a barreled action.

Last edited by j1r11; 07/27/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably not worth the cost to repair, especially if it has been beating around for a long time since it broke. People always want to stick the pieces together and in the process complicate the repair a great deal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If it's any consolation, save the pieces and have some nice knife scales made from the best sections.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
It was a new rifle that the stock was broken in shipment. UPS paid for it. I though about using the wood for another project, but its like a $400 stock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by j1r11
It was a new rifle that the stock was broken in shipment. UPS paid for it. I though about using the wood for another project, but its like a $400 stock.

You could likely make it into a two-piece stock on a number of different actions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You could likely make it into a two-piece stock on a number of different actions.

I never thought of that. Do you know a what actions might work?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not without seeing what is left...

J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

What's the best service to post pics here?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What's the best service to post pics here?

I use imgur from both my iPhone or my laptop.

You can post them in the image gallery down at the bottom of this forum and use that to host for posting here as well.

J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice replair.

I'd drill a deep hole thru the rear of the action inlet, beginning right behind the rear action screw, extending into the pistol grip, epoxy a threaded rod across the fracture line for added support. Some use brass, I'd go with steel...

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd do something similiar to above and use acraglass in the busted areas. its worth a try and won't hurt anything.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

First, stop putting it together and taking it apart... each time you do you are going to lose tiny pieces and push the edges around. It actually looks like a fairly easy repair as they go with some potential for making it really sound looking.

I would drill in both directions and insert a quality walnut dowel bedded in epoxy. Make it as large as possible.

To do it I start by cleaning out the fibers more than about 1/8" from the edges on both faces. They will prevent the pieces from coming together perfectly and it is impossible to line them all up, especially if the pieces have been bouncing around for a while.

Do not use any metal pins. They always fail and never look good. Also, the metal will move far more than wood during temperature changes and fail at the joint face (metal to epoxy.)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What about using a piece of fiberglass rod?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

First, stop putting it together and taking it apart... each time you do you are going to lose tiny pieces and push the edges around. It actually looks like a fairly easy repair as they go with some potential for making it really sound looking.

I would drill in both directions and insert a quality walnut dowel bedded in epoxy. Make it as large as possible.

To do it I start by cleaning out the fibers more than about 1/8" from the edges on both faces. They will prevent the pieces from coming together perfectly and it is impossible to line them all up, especially if the pieces have been bouncing around for a while.

Do not use any metal pins. They always fail and never look good. Also, the metal will move far more than wood during temperature changes and fail at the joint face (metal to epoxy.)

Sitka deer;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the beginning of August has been acceptable for you folks and this finds you and your fine family well.

Without looking at my records and going off of an increasingly foggy memory, I'd guess that there's at least a half dozen and perhaps as many as a dozen rifle stocks being used around the 3 western provinces that I've repaired in that exact way. Oh, I just thought of another one after I'd typed that!

Anyways I used to use a metal rod - usually a threaded rod - but after some research and I want to say discussions with yourself here, I've switched to hardwood dowels. Since I don't have a lathe I'm not able to make my own out of similar wood to the stock, but again there's a good handful of arms being used that have been repaired in exactly that way.

I've had grand success with a product called G2 which has the consistency of honey more or less and seems to have a robust bond as well as the ability to really get into the pores of the wood a tad better than a gel epoxy might.

All the best to you folks Sitka and good luck to the OP on the stock whichever way he decides.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
j1r11 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for all the replies. I don't think i could do a good job by myself. Is there anyone here that would be comfortable here doing this repair for a fee, or trade item?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Sitka deer;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the beginning of August has been acceptable for you folks and this finds you and your fine family well.

Without looking at my records and going off of an increasingly foggy memory, I'd guess that there's at least a half dozen and perhaps as many as a dozen rifle stocks being used around the 3 western provinces that I've repaired in that exact way. Oh, I just thought of another one after I'd typed that!

Anyways I used to use a metal rod - usually a threaded rod - but after some research and I want to say discussions with yourself here, I've switched to hardwood dowels. Since I don't have a lathe I'm not able to make my own out of similar wood to the stock, but again there's a good handful of arms being used that have been repaired in exactly that way.

I've had grand success with a product called G2 which has the consistency of honey more or less and seems to have a robust bond as well as the ability to really get into the pores of the wood a tad better than a gel epoxy might.

All the best to you folks Sitka and good luck to the OP on the stock whichever way he decides.

Dwayne

G2 and G3 were (are) my favorite epoxy formulations for general use. Unfortunately, on the US side of the Medicine Line they have not been available since IF was bought by West. And that was a lot of moons ago. I have been playing with various formulations since trying to get the respective viscosities and 24/48 hour cures.

If you ever need a specific dowel just holler and I will get one headed your way promptly. Steps and exact lengths are very easy.
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
What about using a piece of fiberglass rod?

Paul

While it should work, it would be quite heavy compared to wood and not as easy to come by. If you could get hollow rod and fill it with fluffed epoxy you would have plenty of strength and no weight disadvantage. Even a shock of arrow shafts or rod sections bedded in epoxy would work well but would be difficult to work with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka deer;
Good afternoon Art, thanks for the reply sir.

After I typed out my reply I wondered to myself if it was you who actually first recommended G2 to me, it strikes me that it might have been you know?

The G2 I have is the same stuff I bought way, way back then, as they say I suppose, a little has proven to go a long ways.

There's a place here called Lee Valley Tools which stocks G2 and they're absolutely a mail order place, but perhaps they won't cross the medicine line with chemicals?

Shipping would be insane, that much is for sure. Honestly I'm used to now paying half again as much for the shipping as I do for most mail order stuff up here and if I'm crossing the medicine line with it, then exchange, duty and brokerage fees often double the cost of the item.

That means of course I try to buy big containers! laugh

Thanks much for the dowel offer sir, that's very kind of you and I'll indeed keep it in the back of my head as one never knows what the next project coming down the driveway might be!

All the best to you and yours as we head into fall Art.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.