Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I read the book Fast Food Nation many years ago. I have not eaten certain meat products since. I do my utmost to butcher two deer every year. It gets me by.

I've got that book too.

That venison is gormet free range, organic dark meat.
Better than what's served at the steak houses too.

If you listen to Dr Joel Wallach, he's done autopsies on more animals and people than we'll ever meet. He says that one of the biggest cancer causes are processed meats with nitrates and nitrites.
That's good to know that ounce of prevention that can save someone's life isn't it?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/03/20.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lengua tacos are fantastic. I love braised beef tongue. Best beef flavor ever.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I kill it and bring it home, or raise it right here under my ever watchful eye, GTG! fugg the stores and the trash they push across the meat/deli counter.

Same here. We buy chicken but pork and beef is home raised. Couple three deer a year to round it out.

Canned, stored or froze peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, sweet corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Two freezers full.

Maybe paranoid, but I don't trust what's in the food we buy at the store. Don't trust what's in the medicine we take either.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
[quote=SuperCub} ...
Muscle is muscle no matter where it comes from and meat is muscle.

That is a difficult concept for many to grasp.[/quote]
But there is a hell of a difference between beef cheeks and rib steaks. I'll let my Mexican friends make tamales out of the beef cheeks. I am going to eat the rib steaks.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Deer meat aint organic.

Nothing that is truly "free range" is organic.

I have also seen enough gut shot, hot assed, tick covered field "dressings" at my time in the slaughterhouse to know that deer hunters are no cleaner than professional meat processors.

If you like venison....eat it. Spare us all the BS justifications.

I like to dip dill pickle chips in ketchup....and you can kiss my ass!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You do not keep the salt water in which you boiled the tongue. It's been over 60 years, so the details are a mite hazy. I do remember that after Mom boiled it and let it cool enough to handle, she removed the outer skin, leaving just the smooth inner muscle. Then sliced it maybe a quarter inch thick, on an angle to get the widest slices. We usually ate it as sandwich meat with a smear of mustard.

Mexicans do it similar.

Quarters onion and some garlic cloves in a pot of salted water. Boil it, then skin it. Sliced or chopped.

Makes killer tacos.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by gunner500
I kill it and bring it home, or raise it right here under my ever watchful eye, GTG! fugg the stores and the trash they push across the meat/deli counter.

Same here. We buy chicken but pork and beef is home raised. Couple three deer a year to round it out.

Canned, stored or froze peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, sweet corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Two freezers full.

Maybe paranoid, but I don't trust what's in the food we buy at the store. Don't trust what's in the medicine we take either.

I started raising my own beef a few years ago. Love it. If you’ve the room and a way to feed them, I can’t imagine not doing it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You do not keep the salt water in which you boiled the tongue. It's been over 60 years, so the details are a mite hazy. I do remember that after Mom boiled it and let it cool enough to handle, she removed the outer skin, leaving just the smooth inner muscle. Then sliced it maybe a quarter inch thick, on an angle to get the widest slices. We usually ate it as sandwich meat with a smear of mustard.

Mexicans do it similar.

Quarters onion and some garlic cloves in a pot of salted water. Boil it, then skin it. Sliced or chopped.

Makes killer tacos.

Thats how we do it.

Last one we did ended up a bit soft. Might try to cook it a little firmer next time.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Deer meat aint organic.

I have also seen enough gut shot, hot assed, tick covered field "dressings" at my time in the slaughterhouse to know that deer hunters are no cleaner than professional meat processors.

LOL! 😂. Oh yeah, it's the "Southern gentleman."

Blahaha! I stay away from those butcher shops you frequent with that filth.
You just described why I don't trust processors any more than the cattle farmers like you. If there's any ranches like yours around, then maybe THAT'S why a hunter has a hard time getting deer that haven't had contaminated feed.
My uncle was a head butcher for his whole life. I paid enough attention to his method to do it right by me.
None of your processors or jack ass attitude farmers for me, "southern gentleman."

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its fine. Your justifications make you happy.

You just dont know your ass from a hot rock.

contaminated feed............classic.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 08/03/20.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good thing a southern gentleman like myself has his own walk in cooler, skinning hoist and processing shop onsite

No need to even haul them to a check station either

Kill them 300 yards behind the house, hang them in the walk in an hour later

No tobacco juice, band aids or cigarette ashes flicked.

No flies and no hot carcasses hauled down the interstate from God’s know’s where pay ranch and bait piles.

That makes me a happy camper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Deer meat aint organic.

Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What was that old mountain man saying? Something like "meat's meat".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So are we now to address Jim as "Southern Gentleman".
South of Canada?

LMAO laugh

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

You're welcome to disagree. We all have different backgrounds. We choose what we want and do what we chose for all kinds of reasons.

I'm just encouraging my fellow hunter, and out of nowhere you tell me to kiss your ass?
You and your buds sound like you're used to getting away with saying things like that unprovoked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We get a fresh kook weekly now

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Speaking of pickles, I briefly worked for one of the major pickle makers and what went on there has had me sworn off their products for 38 years. I have no doubt the same went on in the other makers but I didn't work there so don't know for sure.

As for "parts is parts", growing up we used about every part of the cow or pig for something. I didn't care much for brains, organs, nor tripe but the rest of it wasn't bad. Tongue was the surprise for me, it reminded me of dry roast beef without the stringiness. Made into sandwiches with mayo and horseradish it was quite tasty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Jim,

You're welcome to disagree. We all have different backgrounds. We choose what we want and do what we chose for all kinds of reasons.

I'm just encouraging my fellow hunter, and out of nowhere you tell me to kiss your ass?
You and your buds sound like you're used to getting away with saying things like that unprovoked.

But do you know your ass from a hot rock?
You don't seem to know much geography.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This place needs moderation

people tellin each other to kiss thar ass n stuff

Theys a new sharrif in neez parts

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.