Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bragged on here several months ago about grabbing a Superposed that had belonged to the father of a schoolmate, a good guy who is missed. He was long of everything, so it took me a while to get around to cutting the butt to fit an ordinary human.

Got that done, patterned it and it's perfect for what I wanted it for, trap. Don't need to bury the bird, the chokes are nice and tight.

Action looks great after a soak in the solvent tank, but the rear part of the lower barrel has some pitty gritty. Any objections to maybe having both tubes backbored the modern way? I like the chokes as they are.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What are you expecting out of Backboring? Personally I think it is just throwing money away. But your gun and your expectations. I doubt whatever your expectations are you will see it in reality. The only thing you might get out of it in my opinion is a little lighter barrel.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I tend to agree with MCH here in terms of back boring the entire barrel. From your comments, it seems to me you are trying to repair and stop pitting in the barrel. The latter should be done, removing as little steel as possible as otherwise the pitting will get worse over time.

Were it mine, I’d send it to Art’s Gunshop to have this done, and a thorough inspection for any other damage or corrosion.

https://artsgunshop.com/

Last edited by GF1; 08/02/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
backboring. the cost doesn't justify the gain.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by GF1
I tend to agree with MCH here in terms of back boring the entire barrel. From your comments, it seems to me you are trying to repair and stop pitting in the barrel. The latter should be done, removing as little steel as possible as otherwise the pitting will get worse over time.

Were it mine, I’d send it to Art’s Gunshop to have this done, and a thorough inspection for any other damage or corrosion.

https://artsgunshop.com/

What is "this"?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Backbored barrels have recently became popular again. However, Stan Baker was doing the same in the 70’s. If you decide to do so, go big.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
“This” is what I was talking about in the first paragraph - a repair to remove the pitting inside the barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t mess with the barrels on that gun! How much did you cut it? These guns were really well done and best to leave them as issues unless they are unsafe.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by passport
Don’t mess with the barrels on that gun! How much did you cut it? These guns were really well done and best to leave them as issues unless they are unsafe.

Exactly correct.

Superposeds had a unique barrel in that the taper to the choke started at the end of the chamber and was gradual to the muzzle. Don't screw with it.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, I guess I'll just keep it clean like I ordinarily try to do and leave it wet (not too wet, mind you).

I was under the impression that backboring as currently done slightly reduces felt recoil and improves patterning, by introducing a more-gradual taper to the bore in the back of the barrel than in "ordinary" shotgun barrels. But if it's already a long cone to the start of the choking, that's about as gradual as can be. The frosting and pitting isn't bad, I can see it but not feel it while brushing or patching. About what your punishment would be if you got your shottie rained on and went drinking before cleaning.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if youre worrying about recoil, you got the wrong gun.
just shoot low recoil loads. youll be aok.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is the only place I have heard a shotgun being called a Shotie...Of course it is also the only place I've heard a Winchester called a Wiinnie....Then there is Leupie.....Very odd....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Battue is my hommie!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As long as you don’t call your Parker a Parkie..👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
That mean we can't call our L C Smith's (elsie) ?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That mean we can't call our L C Smith's (elsie) ?

Elsie's a hottie.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Elsie is one of only three guns that I can recall off hand that I use a knickname for. The others are actually variations of the same basic gun - Emily and Smelly. Everything else uses the full (e.g. Remington) or partial (1100). The others send shivers down my spine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Try this: “He went to Deerie camp, but first shot some small game for the pot. Not sure which shotie he used, but the Grousie and Sauirrelie were appreciated.”

In places that would be good for some serious abuse. One would be better off to pass gas in church. Which is perfectly fine if doing heavy squats in a crowded gym.

Last edited by battue; 08/04/20.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Elsie may be a hottie, but wait ‘till you get a dose of Foxy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
All ready had a dose of Foxy and if she hadn't been shot hard ,used poorly, and put away wet too often she'd still be around. As was I made the best use of her selling her. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.