Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have been playing with the Evolution Outdoors Hyde mechanicals for a while now. It is the only mechanical I have 100% confidence in and willing to hunt with. I may even hunt with it this season. Solid design and function.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don’t even bother looking at mechanicals when I’ve never even had to question my faith in fixed blades. I just don’t see the appeal.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Slayer_mn1
I don’t even bother looking at mechanicals when I’ve never even had to question my faith in fixed blades. I just don’t see the appeal.

Same with me. Have not used a mech in 42 years of bowhunting.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have been playing with the Evolution Outdoors Hyde mechanicals for a while now. It is the only mechanical I have 100% confidence in and willing to hunt with. I may even hunt with it this season. Solid design and function.

Going to look at that broadhead for my crossbow this year. Its clocking a little over 400 fps so flight is important and that one has those bases covered and is a wicked design on the cutting end as well.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
MCH - why these?

You've been a hardcore fixed blader as long as I have known you - what's different on these that has your attention?

I am intrigued by the the ability to switch between fixed and mech blades - that has some good value for multi-state hunts.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AH64guy
MCH - why these?

You've been a hardcore fixed blader as long as I have known you - what's different on these that has your attention?

I am intrigued by the the ability to switch between fixed and mech blades - that has some good value for multi-state hunts.

First and most important to me is it is a cut on contact!

Second is the blades are the only moving part and are positively locked by a shear pin for lack of a better term. They can not open inflight.

Third the Farrell is a solid piece no moving parts except for the two blades.

"IF" there were to be some sort of failure to deploy the two blades you still have a small fixed COC head that will drive through the target. Not ideal but at least a 3/4" cut.

I tested them on plywood, phone books, and a cow shoulder with skin on. They have performed time and time again flawlessly for me. They have worked with my Release bow, Fingers bow, and my Recurve. They have performed perfectly across the board. From 310FPS down to 180FPS.

I DO NOT, I repeat I DO NOT ADVOCATE use with traditional bows.

I merely wanted to see if I could get it to fail.

I can say I am confident in recommending the Hyde's for hunting with compound bows. I will also say I have absolutely no affiliation with Evolution Outdoors. I bought all the heads I own, But I believe in celebrating companies that bring great products to the market. In my opinion Evolution Outdoors hit a Grand slam with the Hyde's.

Last incase anyone ask or is curious No I have not tested or used the Jekyll heads. I have fixed blade heads that work already.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/04/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I forgot one other thing they make them in 150gr which is another big hit in my book.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I forgot one other thing they make them in 150gr which is another big hit in my book.

I saw that too - very few to be had around here.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot 6 deer w mechs. Recovered all 6. A couple of them went a few jumps and fell over.

No probs w mechs here.

But I prefer fixed. Just less to go wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MCH - why these?

Second is the blades are the only moving part and are positively locked by a shear pin for lack of a better term. They can not open inflight.

"IF" there were to be some sort of failure to deploy the two blades you still have a small fixed COC head that will drive through the target. Not ideal but at least a 3/4" cut.

I tested them on plywood, phone books, and a cow shoulder with skin on. They have performed time and time again flawlessly for me. They have worked with my Release bow, Fingers bow, and my Recurve. They have performed perfectly across the board. From 310FPS down to 180FPS.

I can say I am confident in recommending the Hyde's for hunting with compound bows. I will also say I have absolutely no affiliation with Evolution Outdoors. I bought all the heads I own, But I believe in celebrating companies that bring great products to the market. In my opinion Evolution Outdoors hit a Grand slam with the Hyde's.

Last incase anyone ask or is curious No I have not tested or used the Jekyll heads. I have fixed blade heads that work already.

Have you killed several bulls and bucks with a bow?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Judman
MCH - why these?

Have you killed several bulls and bucks with a bow?

Two Bulls, three cows, I am guessing somewhere around 100 bucks and close to 250 or so Doe. I hunted many years in the southern Zone in CT with turn in tags and earn a buck tags. Zero so far in MT seeing I have been gone for work during the archery season until this year. Fingers crossed I don't have to leave for Australia until after bow season this year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

I saw that too - very few to be had around here.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yeah Man anytime buddy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy 5 elk and 350 deer. What fixed blades have you used with success? Just wondering, I made a ton of so of meat with xx75 and xx78's with old school Cabelas laser pro mags back in the day. Seems archery has come along ways.. Folks around here are pretty sweet on kudu points lately.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Depends on the bow setup and when we are talking. I have killed many deer, turkey, coyote, and bears with XX75's.

Fixed heads I like now

Slick Tricks, I loved the Razor Tricks
WASP Sharpshooter Traditional
Muzzy One
Iron Will Wide
Valkyrie Bloodeagles
Day Six EVO X
Thunderhead

My go to head back in the 80's early 90's was Thunderheads and Muzzy Matadors.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Folks around here are pretty sweet on kudu points lately.

Kudu's aren't a bad choice.

I am not a big fan of them for the same reason I am not a fan of Shuttle T's and why the Valkyrie Bloodeagles aren't one of my favorites. I don't care for a recurved blade, it lacks the penetration compared to a flat continuous angle or a Tanto Tip.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I am not a big fan of them for the same reason I am not a fan of Shuttle T's and why the Valkyrie Bloodeagles aren't one of my favorites. I don't care for a recurved blade, it lacks the penetration compared to a flat continuous angle or a Tanto Tip.

Interesting. I've never not had a complete pass through with Shuttle T's even out to 80 yards but I shoot mechanicals at deer too...grin.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know kudu isn’t a bad choice, they work excellent.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i was able to find enough 125 gr. Elmer mechanical broadheads to use for a few more years.anyone else like or use this Elmer broadhead ? and yes we have killed elk and deer with this broadhead too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GregW

Interesting. I've never not had a complete pass through with Shuttle T's even out to 80 yards but I shoot mechanicals at deer too...grin.

Maybe try reading what was wrote without inserting that you think or want to think someone is saying. I didn't say they don't penetrate I said they don't penetrate as well. There is a very big difference. Penetration test have been proven, I am not going to get into all that here. You can do your own research. Have you ever noticed a bullet is never recurve shaped? All I can say is study up on resistance, and penetration.

Here is a simple example

https://youtu.be/NiAqCCvxiMw

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW

Maybe try reading what was wrote without inserting that you think or want to think someone is saying. I didn't say they don't penetrate I said they don't penetrate as well. There is a very big difference. Penetration test have been proven, I am not going to get into all that here. You can do your own research. Have you ever noticed a bullet is never recurve shaped? All I can say is study up on resistance, and penetration.

Here is a simple example

https://youtu.be/NiAqCCvxiMw

Dude. Relax. No need to be so emotional. I wasn't questioning anything you said, I'm just commenting at what point does the design not matter since you started a thread with the obvious premise of being an expert at the topic which were interesting based on my field results. It was a legitimate question while trying to learn something.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.