Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Layne pulled a new PB flathead catfish into the kayak this past weekend - 45" long and weighed 42#! Love his friend's reaction as the fish is pulled up out of the water...😲 Since we still have some fillets in the freezer from two 20-25# fish we kept from this lake in June, we practiced a little C.P.R. with this one - Catch, Photograph, & Released to grow bigger. Making memories...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a damn good Flathead.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Job - in the last couple years our flatheads have been lighter color too..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a fun day right there!

Now with even more aplomb
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Proud_Dad
Layne pulled a new PB flathead catfish into the kayak this past weekend - 45" long and weighed 42#! Love his friend's reaction as the fish is pulled up out of the water...😲 Since we still have some fillets in the freezer from two 20-25# fish we kept from this lake in June, we practiced a little C.P.R. with this one - Catch, Photograph, & Released to grow bigger. Making memories...

[Linked Image]

I've eaten channel and blue catfish (after a fella from Texas showed me how to cook'em!)

Are flatheads good to eat too?

Just idle curiousity...

John

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've never even seen a flathead catfish but it is a catfish! I love bullheads and just getting into channels but I've never heard of anyone catching what I'd think was an eating size flathead! From what I read they seem to be hatched at 40#! When they are that big, aren't they a bit tuff to eat?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

I've eaten channel and blue catfish (after a fella from Texas showed me how to cook'em!)

Just idle curiousity...

John

Thanks, guys. I will pass your compliments along to Layne.

Flatheads are very good eating. Just have to remove the little bit of red meat that has a stronger, fishy flavor to it. The rest is very good. Can be cut thin to fry or a little thicker to grill. We have cleaned a few in the past that were in the 30-40# range and they were all very good eating. I actually prefer them over channel cats.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 08/04/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flathead are the champions of the catfish world! True gamefish, like live baits, fight hard and are the best eating of them all. Congrats to the young man, that's a great catch.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Layne's smile says it all! You done a good job of raising that boy! I would bet that he got a ride in that kayak courtesy of said flathead...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Rod and Reel?

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by sjphillips
Rod and Reel?

No, it was caught on a heavy trot line we made with a limited number of hooks using 4-6" bluegill for bait. We made it not to cover a lot of water, but to (hopefully) be able to handle fish just like this. Layne wants to hook into a fish like this from the kayak using his heavy spinning gear next. If/when he does he may really get to go for a ride...

Layne did catch this one on rod & reel last summer at the same lake, but he was fishing off the dock as we didn't have the kayaks then. He really did a nice job with it as he landed it using 8# test line. I wasn't there that day, but our daughter was there helping our friends with a painting project, so she handled net duties. When they called me Layne was so excited he could hardly talk! Can't be the same fish, though, as that one last year came home to swim in the hot grease. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 08/04/20.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Layne's smile says it all! You done a good job of raising that boy! I would bet that he got a ride in that kayak courtesy of said flathead...

Thanks, Johnny. Didn't have to ask him to smile for that picture, that's for sure. The water was only 3-4' deep in that spot, but the fish did give Lay a ride for a bit before he could get a good grip on it to lift it up and over into the kayak.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

Just idle curiousity...

John

Ain't nothin better!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Congrats Layne!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thats awesome,see the look on his buddies face in the picture? Nothing better than seeing young kids like this! Congrats all the way around.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sjphillips
Rod and Reel?

No, it was caught on a heavy trot line we made with a limited number of hooks using 4-6" bluegill for bait. We made it not to cover a lot of water, but to (hopefully) be able to handle fish just like this. Layne wants to hook into a fish like this from the kayak using his heavy spinning gear next. If/when he does he may really get to go for a ride...

Layne did catch this one on rod & reel last summer at the same lake, but he was fishing off the dock as we didn't have the kayaks then. He really did a nice job with it as he landed it using 8# test line. I wasn't there that day, but our daughter was there helping our friends with a painting project, so she handled net duties. When they called me Layne was so excited he could hardly talk! Can't be the same fish, though, as that one last year came home to swim in the hot grease. grin

[Linked Image]

Nice. congrats

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are flatheads the Same as tabby’s?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I haven't ever heard of them referred to as tabby's around here, but did a quick check and it looks like they are the same fish, just different regional names:

"No fish better typifies the storied history of angling in Mississippi than the catfish, and no catfish more so than the most mystifying member of the species -- the flathead.

You may know it as the "tabby cat" or "yellow catfish," or any of the other scores of nicknames given the fish. It's a beautiful fish, but also odd -- odd to the point of ugliness."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/fishing_catfish-fishing_ms_0508_02/242064

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Those are nice flathead, congrats to the young man.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I haven't ever heard of them referred to as tabby's around here, but did a quick check and it looks like they are the same fish, just different regional names:

"No fish better typifies the storied history of angling in Mississippi than the catfish, and no catfish more so than the most mystifying member of the species -- the flathead.

You may know it as the "tabby cat" or "yellow catfish," or any of the other scores of nicknames given the fish. It's a beautiful fish, but also odd -- odd to the point of ugliness."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/fishing_catfish-fishing_ms_0508_02/242064

Seems several names.
Flathead
Tabby.
Mots
Govt cats.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Flatheads or yellow cats is all I have heard for them around here. Guess it is like crappie here being called specks or calico bass in other areas. Nice thing is, call 'em what you want, they are all good eating!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.