Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15101437 08/01/20
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t know which side of the production equation is skewed as the moment, be it demand or supply, but does anyone have any information re: when things might become more amenable?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sometime in the far and distant future.

I don't see things getting better any time soon. Components and ammunition will be in short supply for different reasons depending on the outcome of the next election. If Trump wins, Heaven help us the next time the Democrats take the White House as there will a reckoning by them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Don’t know which side of the production equation is skewed as the moment, be it demand or supply, but does anyone have any information re: when things might become more amenable?

I believe its a combination of things. It's people buying but manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up due to worker shortage.

On another note, the last component shortage when Obama was pres. caught me a little flat footed. I had a small supply but just barely enough. Not enough to shoot and have fun but just enough to hunt. I made it my mission to never let it happen again.

As soon as supplies started to hit shelves I started buying. Over the course of the next couple years I stock piled enough of the powders I use to last me probably the rest of my life. Not to mention the thousand upon thousands of primers, bullets and brass that I use. Even now if I find something I use at a good deal I buy it..

I guess what I'm trying to say, not necessarily directing this towards you, but people shouldn't wait until the proverbial craps hits the fan to start worrying about what they are going to do about powder, primer and bullets.

Last edited by Highoctane; 08/01/20.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I’m not short on supplies, just astounded by the universal “out of stock” message for most everything these days. Labor shortage seems reasonable given the Covid 19 issue, but this is beyond the pale.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, I recently decided I had better "get everything I might need for a long time, before the hoarders grab it all." Maybe in trying to get out ahead of any potential coming panic I am part of the problem? But that said, within the last month I purchased 8 pound jugs of all the powders I regularly use. I already had a jug of PP 2000-MR, but was able to get H4350, H4831SC, Ramshot TAC, Big Game, Hunter, Magpro, and Magnum. Didn't find 8's of Varget but got a few 1's, and some RE-17 and RE-19. Already had about 25 pounds surplus WC852 and 16 pounds WC860, but I got that 25 years ago and don't know how old it was then. Mule Deer has steered me to the Hodgdon version of 4831 and 4350, but I have about 3 pounds of each of the IMR in hand too, and a couple pounds of RE-22. Between my loading up on Nosler seconds from SPS, and the 12,000 or so primers I just added to my current stash of about the same, my goal was to be pretty well set for the rest of my active life, at least to shoot as I wanted for hunting load work. I don't compete so don't need that much. I just turned 60 and figure I'll be OK if stuff dries up really bad.
Bottom line was for those powders above I was able to find them recently, and at good prices, especially the Ramshot - so inexpensive comparatively. I still have yet to throw a charge of the RE-26 unobtainium, but would sure love a jug of that whenever it comes back, but I can manage until. And a couple hundred 9.3mm 286 Partitions for cheap off SPS would be nice, but they haven't had them for ages.
Hope this helps - keep you eyes open and you can find the staples, at least I did recently.

Cheers,
Rex

P.S. Anybody need any toilet paper??

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know whats up these days but while taking a look at what i had in the shop i found out i am good on all primers for a while.

I also found 2 cans of IMR-4895 i forgot i had,nice bonus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was pretty comfortable on most everything I use till the recent addition of a Ruger Flattop 45 Convertible put a real dent in the LP primers. Luckily cheesy found about a brick and a half at not too outrageous a price, so with what I had left I should make it till after the election.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a good stock of components

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have had a few lucky stops into our local Sportsmans Warehouse lately. I was able to pick up some bricks of primers there on each stop. I dont normally load up much pistol ammo but it is much more fun to shoot at the range with family etc so I started to get a couple thousand of each size of primers in reserve. With most stores, it is easiest to just order what you want and it will come in in a few weeks. Then you dont have to be in a rush to get it etc. I think the product is getting to the shelves in small amounts, but it gets snatched up pretty quick.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cant find much here. Need to get some small rifle primers

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I wish Sierra would hire a night shift, and make me some 55 gr. Hollow pts, for my 222, and 223. Hard to find anywhere. Lots of components out is stock. It could be a labor shortage.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by atse
I wish Sierra would hire a night shift, and make me some 55 gr. Hollow pts, for my 222, and 223. Hard to find anywhere. Lots of components out is stock. It could be a labor shortage.

If it's a labor shortage, it's an artificial one.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You think it's bad in the US (I've looked on your sites), there is nothing here in Canada. Lots of places are just about out of all rifle powder and very few have 8 pounders. Took me all afternoon the other day to find some 120gr NBTs and only did after someone sent me a PM with a tip after I posted a WTB online.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As mentioned earlier and elsewhere, ammunition sales is where the big money is, so primers, brass, and maybe powder are going to be used there first, not for handloaders. Still, I've found bullets, at least ones I wanted, to be harder to find than usual, even though many are made by companies that don't make ammo, or at least not a lot. Not a real problem for me as I'm well-stocked overall, but sometimes frustrating when a great idea that pops into my head is put on hold for logistical reasons. With luck, those great ideas won't have been popped off the stack by the time stuff becomes more available.

Recent developments on the home front have freed up my time somewhat, so I have been getting ahead of the game on working up this year's hunting loads, putting some of that hoard together into actual ammunition instead of potential ammo. Hopefully, there won't be any last-minute panic trips to the range this year as per usual.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Went on Sunday to my local supplier and got there early. Line at the door before they even opened. 9 and 5.56 wiped out. Got a thousand primers, stocked up on 175 Sierra HPBT, .277 150 Sierra BT, couple of pounds of 760, 2 spare 92 mags and 300 rounds of WW.22 mag because LR was non existent. Squirrels are going to be a mess this year I guess.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If November goes bad, this will be the new normal. Vote, get your friends and family to vote, and don’t vote Democrat.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have about 6000 CCI Magnum Small Pistol primers if anyone can use them that I will sell at a reasonable,not jacked up prices.Local to Colorado Springs only though. Will trade for Small Rifle Primers.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been loading and shooting most of the summer and thought I had plenty of primers. I did an inventory the other day and found that I am a little shorthanded in the primer department. I've been looking online for what I need and they are all sold out. I'm unable to find certain bullets that I use as well. While I have located some of the components, they're all spread out on different sites and I'll have to order one box of bullets form one site, another box form another site, etc. That shipping gets expensive.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, my supply is in good shape and properly stored. Question I have goes the the matter of when supply starts catching up with demand. My recollection is that during the Obongo years most stuff could be found, even if in the hands of gun show speculators. Today everyone is SOL pretty much across the board. When might we expect sunrise?

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Talked to a guy recently who works for Federal Cartridge near ANoka, Minn. Near Minneapolis.
He runs a primer production line.

He told me that on a good 24 hour day, his line can make up to 700,000 primers.

He said that Federal is about a month behind on their orders. Demand is way up.

That damned virus means that all of us are home reloading. just saying

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.