Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Originally Posted by Tejano

It mystifies me why people consider using bullets about which they have performance concerns. I concur with the Barnes LRX recommendation. Or Nosler AccuBond or ABLR. Or Partition. Or Swift Scirocco II or A-Frame. Or some other bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities/ranges/angles. High B.C. and lower bullet cost are way over-rated IMHO.

So you have never tried something new and asked about performance? Early on the barnes had lots of problems with failing to expand due to a lack of consistency in both their base materials and design issues, both of which were significantly improved after feedback from the field.

I can't say the basic Hornady interlocks ever disappointed me but I do like to know the abilities and limitations of any product that is new to me.

I've tried lots of new things, including bullets. But I've never considered hunting with one where I was concerned about performance after impact. First bullet I used on big game was a 162g Interlock from a 7mm RM on a bull elk because that bullet had been recommended by my mentor. Performance was very disappointing with no exit and less than 50% weight retention. That bullet hit a nearside rib, appeared to slip between the offside ribs and was recovered under the skin. Switched to 160g Speer Grand Slams the following year and it took me over 20 years to recover one. That one destroyed both shoulder joints on a bull elk, was recovered on the far side and still had over 70% weight retention.

Tried the blue coated 160g Barnes X bullets in my 7mm RM thinking they would be as good on game as they were in accuracy. Nope. Tried the TSX on paper and they were great in various rifles, but I could never bring myself to use them on game. When Barnes introduced the tipped version (MRX), I tried them too. They were great on paper and game. Now I use a lot of TTSX and LRX. My preferred bullets are TTSX and LRX, Nosler AccuBond and AccuBond LR. Swift Scirocco II and A-Frame get limited use (one rifle each) and I still use a lot of the no-longer-available North Fork bullets (of which I have a lifetime supply in multiple calibers and weights).

Recently I've worked up loads for Federal's new .284"/155g Terminal Ascent for my .280 Rem and 7mm RM. Based on my experience with the standard North Fork SS bullets and HP prototypes, I think the Terminal Ascent design may be the best hunting bullet ever and I look forward to using them on game.

With one exception, I save the cup-and-core bullets for range work, leverguns and handguns. That exception is the 95g Hornady SST I load for my .243 Win. I use it for antelope exactly once because I was confident it would do the job, which it did, and it was the only load I had worked up for my .243.

Not afraid to try new things, but not one to try something just because it is new or improved, either. Show me a bullet's design and I can tell you very quickly if I would consider using it on game or not.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/09/20. Reason: Deleted repeated phrase.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Tejano

It mystifies me why people consider using bullets about which they have performance concerns. I concur with the Barnes LRX recommendation. Or Nosler AccuBond or ABLR. Or Partition. Or Swift Scirocco II or A-Frame. Or some other bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities/ranges/angles. High B.C. and lower bullet cost are way over-rated IMHO.

So you have never tried something new and asked about performance? Early on the barnes had lots of problems with failing to expand due to a lack of consistency in both their base materials and design issues, both of which were significantly improved after feedback from the field.

I can't say the basic Hornady interlocks ever disappointed me but I do like to know the abilities and limitations of any product that is new to me.

I've tried lots of new things, including bullets. But I've never considered hunting with one where I was concerned about performance after impact. First bullet I used on big game was a 162g Interlock from a 7mm RM on a bull elk because that bullet had been recommended by my mentor. Performance was very disappointing with no exit and less than 50% weight retention. That bullet hit a nearside rib, appeared to slip between the offside ribs and was recovered under the skin. Switched to 160g Speer Grand Slams the following year and it took me over 20 years to recover one. That one destroyed both shoulder joints on a bull elk, was recovered on the far side and still had over 70% weight retention.

Tried the blue coated 160g Barnes X bullets in my 7mm RM thinking they would be as good on game as they were in accuracy. Nope. Tried the TSX on paper and they were great in various rifles, but I could never bring myself to use them on game. When Barnes introduced the tipped version (MRX), I tried them too. They were great on paper and game. Now I use a lot of TTSX and LRX. My preferred bullets are TTSX and LRX, Nosler AccuBond and AccuBond LR. Swift Scirocco II and A-Frame get limited use (one rifle each) and I still use a lot of the no-longer-available North Fork bullets (of which I have a lifetime supply in multiple calibers and weights).

Recently I've worked up loads for Federal's new .284"/155g Terminal Ascent for my .280 Rem and 7mm RM. Based on my experience with the standard North Fork SS bullets and HP prototypes, I think the Terminal Ascent design may be the best hunting bullet ever and I look forward to using them on game.

With one exception, I save the cup-and-core bullets for range work, leverguns and handguns. That exception is the 95g Hornady SST I load for my .243 Win. I use it for antelope exactly once because I was confident it would do the job, which it did, and it was the only load I had worked up for my .243.

Not afraid to try new things, but not one to try something just because it is new or improved, either. Show me a bullet's design and I can tell you very quickly if I would consider using it on game or not.

Fair enough. I did a lot of field testing for Barnes in the 1990s since I lived in a lead free zone that was filled with pigs. You were right about that blue coated version, never trusted it and had multiple failures to expand. I strongly considered using my old load of the 110 TTSX at 3,400 fps but it's been so impressed with the 140 berger when properly placed. I definitely agree the mono medals give a little more latitude with regard to angles but where I will be is miles of sagebrush and waiting for the shot will not be an issue.

I appreciate all the feedback and experiences from everyone, another reason that makes the campfire amazing.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gonzaga
I just picked up a Tikka 270. Would you guys mind sharing a good starting load for it. Rifle will be used for deer and elk.

About 60 grains of Reloder 26 and whatever 150gr bullet you prefer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I just picked up a Tikka 270. Would you guys mind sharing a good starting load for it. Rifle will be used for deer and elk.

About 60 grains of Reloder 26 and whatever 150gr bullet you prefer.

This^^^

Of course, if you don't have RL26--which is apparently unobtainium--H4831 still does the job.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've given up wondering why there is a segment of guys out there who insist on using marginal bullets for elk........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Prior suggestions on bullets, e.g., bonded, monometal, are good ideas for elk but you may want to consider a "softer" higher BC bullet like an ELDx if expected range is way out there with velocity dropping.....

Murphy was a grunt.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My best ever bull taken in 2014. One shot from my old Rem 700, 264 mag , bought new in 1964. Bullet was the Barnes 120 gr TSX. In the 270 use one of the 130 gr mono's your choice. It will penetrate completely thru dense muscle & bone. Why take a chance with a lesser bullet ? [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hesp
My best ever bull taken in 2014. One shot from my old Rem 700, 264 mag , bought new in 1964. Bullet was the Barnes 120 gr TSX. In the 270 use one of the 130 gr mono's your choice. It will penetrate completely thru dense muscle & bone. Why take a chance with a lesser bullet ? [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Lesser" bullets are only "lesser" in your mind.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's a heckuva awesome bull Hesp! Congrats on him.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I killed a cow elk here in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. 7mm Rem Mag, 69 grains R26, 162 Eldx out of a Tikka T3 stainless. The shot was a hair over 375 yards. The bullet center punched the big front leg bone about three inches below the shoulder joint, broke a rib, double lung, then broke another rib before stopping under the hide. The big bone was impressively wrecked. I didn’t quite get to the count of 11 before she died.

The bullet expanded to .515” and weighed 95.2 grains, or 59%. Major bone, both ribs, both lungs, 11 second death. Not bad.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve killed several elk over the years with .270s and 150 gr Nosler Partitions, have never recovered one. Violent damage inside all of them. They shoot superbly, sub MOA in a Mauser 98 custom; out of it’s 24” barrel I get 3025 fps (60.5/RL26).

Life’s too short to worry if a bullet will act right. Partitions, Accubonds and TTSXs are some that work.

Last edited by GF1; 09/10/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I killed a cow elk here in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. 7mm Rem Mag, 69 grains R26, 162 Eldx out of a Tikka T3 stainless. The shot was a hair over 375 yards. The bullet center punched the big front leg bone about three inches below the joint, broke a rib, double lung, then broke another rib before stopping under the hide. The big bone was impressively wrecked. I didn’t quite get to the count of 11 before she died.

The bullet expanded to .515” and weighed 95.2 grains, or 59%. Major bone, both ribs, both lungs, 11 second death. Not bad.

P

You shouldn't have used a lesser bullet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I killed a cow elk here in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. 7mm Rem Mag, 69 grains R26, 162 Eldx out of a Tikka T3 stainless. The shot was a hair over 375 yards. The bullet center punched the big front leg bone about three inches below the joint, broke a rib, double lung, then broke another rib before stopping under the hide. The big bone was impressively wrecked. I didn’t quite get to the count of 11 before she died.

P

You shouldn't have used a lesser bullet.

My thoughts exactly. If I had used some ultra-premium hand made one at a time bullet she might have died in eight seconds, not 11.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I have taken a fair amount of elk with C&C bullets & partition's. Years back I used a 338 mag ( which I still have ) & Hornady 250gr C&C bullets. Every elk I shot with it, I recovered. . Have also used 30 cal's with C&C heavy for cal bullets with complete success . Some penetrated well ,some did not. Those that did not penetrate well I still recovered but the elk went a ways. Some times a long ways. So C&C bullets especially heavy for cal absolutely work when placed properly. Since I primarily hunt for the meat & not horns it bothers me when large partitions of precious meat are blood shot & destroyed. You don't always get a rib cage shot. Many times your shot is at sever angles from front or back. Some times uphill or down hill , & again at sever angles. Maybe your shot is thru a opening in the vegetation, trees or brush where only a shoulder is available to shoot at. When presented with these difficult options you either shoot or let the elk go. If you shoot under these circumstances with a heavy for cal C&C bullet you can be assured of substantial meat loss. With the copper mono's meat loss from blood shot damage is minimal. This has been my experience base on
60 + years of hunting . The deepest penetrating bullets are solids. The expanding mono is a solid with an expanding nose. They retain maximum weight ,some nearly 99% which in turn retains maximum momentum for max. penetration. The copper mono is my preferred bullet for elk & will continue to be so unless some thing better arrives.
In 1948 the partition came out & was " the " bullet for penetration. Bullets have evolved over the years, & now the mono's. Your choice.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Well to try to make everyone feel better the 129 lrx did not shoot well with Re22 or 4831,(over 2 moa at 300yards) the first inch of the throat is gone so I'm sure that is not helping. I was only able to get one box locally so that definitely limited the opportunities for multiple recipes. The 110 TTSX at 3400 FPS was still under 1.5 moa, they have not shot great since about the 4,000 round mark. I'm now at 6300 rounds and I am guessing the jump tolerant design of the ELDX is still helping with the accuracy.

Considering I'm shooting very open ground would you all rather have sub 1/2moa accuracy and absolute faith in placement with the ELDX or go with the TTSX that will occasionally throw a wild and unpredictable flyer?

Yes, a rebarrel is planned in the future but not enough time for this year.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well to try to make everyone feel better the 129 lrx did not shoot well with Re22 or 4831,(over 2 moa at 300yards) the first inch of the throat is gone so I'm sure that is not helping. I was only able to get one box locally so that definitely limited the opportunities for multiple recipes. The 110 TTSX at 3400 FPS was still under 1.5 moa, they have not shot great since about the 4,000 round mark. I'm now at 6300 rounds and I am guessing the jump tolerant design of the ELDX is still helping with the accuracy.

Considering I'm shooting very open ground would you all rather have sub 1/2moa accuracy and absolute faith in placement with the ELDX or go with the TTSX that will occasionally throw a wild and unpredictable flyer?

Yes, a rebarrel is planned in the future but not enough time for this year.

I've found that killing animals well at any range is more about confidence in the rig to do what you need it to do than it is about the characteristics of specific bullets, or the caliber, or the make or style of firearm or scope, or even the paper accuracy of the chosen ammo. I'd shoot the thing that gave me that confidence, then I'd go hunt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Finally ditched the 140 Berger due to availability issues, it has been my go to load for years on deer and cow elk. Switched over to the 145 ELDX and the external ballistics have been fantastic with a final load clocking at 3075fps. I have an either sex tag for a fairly open area, any concerns if I treat it like the Berger regarding shot placement?

Well, just pick up a box of 150gr Partitions, add a little H4831SC and your problem is solved.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've found the 150g ABLR over H100V to be very accurate in two different .270 rifles and would give that a try, Standard TTSX instead of LRX might be better as well.

But if limited to you two options, I would go with the ELD-X.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V

I've found the 150g ABLR over H100V to be very accurate in two different .270 rifles and would give that a try, Standard TTSX instead of LRX might be better as well.

But if limited to you two options, I would go with the ELD-X.

Based on component availability it's going to be the ELDX or the 110 TTSX. Only other option on my shelf is vanilla 140 grain interlocks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Re 26 is still made of unobtainium out here, went with re22 and was pleasantly surprised. I have heard it was not as temp stable as others but load was worked up at 60 degrees, has been shot as hot as 101 a few days ago and no problems.

John, my bad, yes the .277, pushing it at that speed makes it tough to justify a new 6.5 PRC.

It's only tough if math is required smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.