Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15110035 08/04/20
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tonight a family member was sprayed by a skunk in a bush at the front of the house. It was a light spray as the bush took most of it. His lower jawline and lips are doing a tingling burn, and he may have caught a bit of it just inside the lower lip area in his mouth. He has showered with a dermatological soap and does not smell like skunk spray, but as I said his lower face and lips are experiencing a tingling burn. Any suggestions as to how to remedy the problem?

Lynn

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have uses Copenhagen on yellow jackets.

Maybe?

Moister the better under a large bandage maybe?

Google?

Good luck.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That’s strange, Miss Lynn.

Over the years I’ve known two folks that took direct hits with only the smell to deal with.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sad to say, time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miss Lynn;
Good evening to you, I hope other than running into a skunk that all things are as they should be with you all.

While it might be one of those folk remedies with no basis, we'd always use tomato juice for the dogs when they'd tangle with a skunk, which was reasonably often for one Fox Terrier.

Come to think of it when my cousin started a hand to spray battle with one that's what he used as well.

Hopefully others will chime in with better ideas, but tomato juice was the go to in rural Saskatchewan.

Good luck with the de-smelling process and all the best with the rest.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
aloe or calamine lotion for the face, ice cream for the lips. Get a cone for yourself as sympathetic pains can be as bad as getting sprayed yourself.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Chemist Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that changes the odorous thiols into odorless acids, thereby chemically neutralizing the skunk odor. The formula is: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.

Google

I reckon if this solution will neutralize the spray it will also potentially neutralize the irritation... maybe?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A few Benadryl tablets couldn’t hurt if it’s an allergic reaction.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you have access to an un-neutered male cat?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As for neutralizing the smell, the absolute best method is to first wipe the affected area with a dry cloth to remove as much of the essence as possible. With dogs or if one's hair is sprayed - do not get wet as that can draw the essence into the hairs as the hairs absorb water. Then it is a waiting game for the smell to disapate.

Then soak the area with the feminine hygiene product douche. It works far better than tomatoe juice and will not cause a rash which tomatoe juice sometimes does. It is best to buy a couple packages ahead of time as it can cause quite a stir to walk into the apothecary in hunting clothes asking where the Massengill is located. Or, so I've been told.

A less easy to carry solution is a pint of hydrogen peroxide, a cup or so of baking soda, and a dash of dish soap mixed together in a bowl used in place of the douche. One cannot mix it ahead of time as it produces gas which will burst any closed container.

I've learned these techniques over the years as I've owned a number of Versatile dogs as well as a few curious or fur aggressive setters, pointers, labs, and mutts over the years. A year did not go by where I did not have at least one dog sprayed and three or so was most common. I had one setter get sprayed three times on one week long hunt. I hate skunks.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sign him up as SkunKat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Tonight a family member was sprayed by a skunk in a bush at the front of the house. It was a light spray as the bush took most of it. His lower jawline and lips are doing a tingling burn, and he may have caught a bit of it just inside the lower lip area in his mouth. He has showered with a dermatological soap and does not smell like skunk spray, but as I said his lower face and lips are experiencing a tingling burn. Any suggestions as to how to remedy the problem?

Lynn

Miss Lynn,

The first thing that I would do if that were the only symptom, would be the following.

After thoroughly washing the affected area with soap and water,

1. If you have activated charcoal, spread that as a damp paste on the area and cover with gauze/bandage and appropriate tape that will not harm the skin upon removal. WARNING: Do NOT substitute ashes from burnt wood. This might become caustic. Ask me if you need to know what that is. PM only.

2. If you don't have that, sodium bentonite clay can be applied in similar fashion like a thick, moist past. Keep it damp. The two substances obsorb/adsorb toxins.

3. If neither is available, I would use baking soda the same way.

I will try to find a link to the class on this topic by one of my teachers. Then it's past bed time.
I will check messages, private messages in the morning. None of this info should substitute for that of a state board qualified medical physician and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, nor cure any disease or condition. It is for educational purposes only. There's my boring disclaimer.😉

Hope the family member is feeling better in the morning and God bless you and your family.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dP67EyAzOc

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/04/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miss Lynn,

I can't find the information that I mentioned from the class.
The recipe woodmaster mentioned, variations thereof are reported on youtube by veterinarians for dogs fur.
I can't speak from those experiences. He unfortunately has. Others say it's good for dogs.

Just be cautious that the soap is nontoxic and be aware that the mucous membrane is VERY permeable.
It starts at the lips. I use an all natural castle soap called Dr. Bronners as a substitute for tooth past many times with no ill effects. YMMV. BTW, NO antibacterial soaps. Some are extremely toxic.

Additionally, hydrogen peroxide on lips is a mystery as to what will happen. I do know that its not recommended for some conditions as it can damage tissue. Something to check into.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A mixture of baking soda hydrogen peroxide and dawn dish washing liquid will completely remove all skunk essence. I do not remember the proper portions but Teri has this if you need it. Our current farm dog passes out death sentences to every skunk she comes in contact with. Averages about one a week. We always have this on hand.

Probably will not help with the reaction your family member is experiencing but it may be worth noting for future reference. Good luck Miss Lynn !!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Chemist Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that changes the odorous thiols into odorless acids, thereby chemically neutralizing the skunk odor. The formula is: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.

Google

I reckon if this solution will neutralize the spray it will also potentially neutralize the irritation... maybe?

This is indeed the CORRECT formula, used it on the knothead dog last week.

HOWEVER! Care should be taken around mucous membranes such as eyes and mouth, as you are dealing with peroxide.

If the odor is gone (and I mean gone, not you’re used to it and can’t smell it anymore...) there are other chemicals involved than odor causing the problem. I remember the above mentioned knothead taking a full shot to the mouth at powder burn range and he was foaming at the mouth and otherwise none too pleased with the outcome, so I suspect there are some other irritants in the spray besides odor. I would also guess they are oil based rather than water based, so a soap of some sort or another would be appropriate?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Google

This is indeed the CORRECT formula, used it on the knothead dog last week.

HOWEVER! Care should be taken around mucous membranes such as eyes and mouth, as you are dealing with peroxide.

If the odor is gone (and I mean gone, not you’re used to it and can’t smell it anymore...) there are other chemicals involved than odor causing the problem. I remember the above mentioned knothead taking a full shot to the mouth at powder burn range and he was foaming at the mouth and otherwise none too pleased with the outcome, so I suspect there are some other irritants in the spray besides odor. I would also guess they are oil based rather than water based, so a soap of some sort or another would be appropriate?

Lynn,

I think Dutch is suggesting you wash the family member's mouth out with soap. I think Mom used Ivory, Dial and Irish Spring were way too nasty.

And yes, the above quoted formula works way way way better than tomato juice.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good that the fellow no longer smells like skunk, as that will help with the second remedy. To overcome the tingling sensation on his lips, face and neck, The Farmers' Almanac says you should get the nearest available middle-aged woman to constantly plant passionate kisses on all of the affected areas for about three hours - maybe four - and he will forget about the tingling problem.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
A few Benadryl tablets couldn’t hurt if it’s an allergic reaction.

This.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just whack his foot with a hammer. He'll forget all about the tingling in his lips.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

Lynn

Miss Lynn,

The first thing that I would do if that were the only symptom, would be the following.

After thoroughly washing the affected area with soap and water,

1. If you have activated charcoal, spread that as a damp paste on the area and cover with gauze/bandage and appropriate tape that will not harm the skin upon removal. WARNING: Do NOT substitute ashes from burnt wood. This might become caustic. Ask me if you need to know what that is. PM only.

2. If you don't have that, sodium bentonite clay can be applied in similar fashion like a thick, moist past. Keep it damp. The two substances obsorb/adsorb toxins.

3. If neither is available, I would use baking soda the same way.

I will try to find a link to the class on this topic by one of my teachers. Then it's past bed time.
I will check messages, private messages in the morning. None of this info should substitute for that of a state board qualified medical physician and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, nor cure any disease or condition. It is for educational purposes only. There's my boring disclaimer.😉

Hope the family member is feeling better in the morning and God bless you and your family.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dP67EyAzOc

We're all fresh out of bentonite. LOL.

Except for oil wells. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.