Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The only dog I've ever been attacked and bitten by in my life was an Airedale. There are several dog breeds known for occasionally attacking and killing people, very often their masters. Among them are of course the pit bull but also German Shepherds, Rottweilers. Dobermans and Huskies. If we were to eliminate all dogs known for occasionally attacking and/or killing people, there wouldn't be much left. I even know a guy I used to work with that was attacked and seriously bitten by a lab. One thing I know for sure is that there is no animal on planet earth more dangerous, more unpredictable or more likely to kill somebody than another human.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The only dog I've ever been attacked and bitten by in my life was an Airedale. There are several dog breeds known for occasionally attacking and killing people, very often their masters. Among them are of course the pit bull but also German Shepherds, Rottweilers. Dobermans and Huskies. If we were to eliminate all dogs known for occasionally attacking and/or killing people, there wouldn't be much left. I even know a guy I used to work with that was attacked and seriously bitten by a lab.

How many people were killed by labs and airedales the past ten years in the US?

Curious

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Way more bull dogs than anything else around here, guess they breed like groids. The main problem with a bull dog is they have no quit, you can't break them you have to kill them. And people don't have the stomach for that anymore. I can remember when dog breeders did what needed to be done, and would take a hammer to the one's that weren't right to the breed.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They'd be low on the list of dogs that have attacked or bitten somebody for sure but it does happen. In fact my ex wife has a scar on the back of her leg where she was bitten by a beagle. Don't get me wrong, I don't trust pit bulls myself but last I knew German Shepherds and Rottweilers weren't too far behind in numbers of people bitten/attacked.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
They'd be low on the list of dogs that have attacked or bitten somebody for sure but it does happen. In fact my ex wife has a scar on the back of her leg where she was bitten by a beagle. Don't get me wrong, I don't trust pit bulls myself but last I knew German Shepherds and Rottweilers weren't too far behind in numbers of people bitten/attacked.

Having been bitten by a pitbull, Ill take ten bites from a lab and 20 bites from a beagle any day Owners should be held liable for their fuggin schitty pits

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Way more bull dogs than anything else around here, guess they breed like groids. The main problem with a bull dog is they have no quit, you can't break them you have to kill them. And people don't have the stomach for that anymore. I can remember when dog breeders did what needed to be done, and would take a hammer to the one's that weren't right to the breed.
That's not always the case. My dad was bitten by his next door neighbors pit bull. It was a quick bite and immediate release. It may have bitten again if it weren't for the fact that the neighbor guy was right there in the driveway talking to my dad when it happened and immediately grabbed the dog by the collar but it didn't hang on.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
That's not always the case. My dad was bitten by his next door neighbors pit bull. It was a quick bite and immediate release. It may have bitten again if it weren't for the fact that the neighbor guy was right there in the driveway talking to my dad when it happened and immediately grabbed the dog by the collar but it didn't hang on.
I guarantee you wouldn't want to be bitten by my German Shepherd either. Nor by the Rottweiler I had before.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Way back in the early development of the breed, likely 1 dog had schizophrenia. Someone liked the way it would drive in for the kill so they bred it to try to get the trait in the pups. The defective gene was propagated and today we have a killer breed just waiting for something to pull the trigger. It's true that quite likely not all pits have the gene but who can honestly say that theirs doesn't?

If it's schizophrenia, every terrier in the world has it.

I have seen many terriers, from Yorkies, to Ratters, to Jack Russels come up off of one's lap and become a relentless killing machine devoid of pain receptors before they can hit the floor.

Terriers have been bred to instantly turn on killer mode at the sight of vermin for thousands of years. When they snap, there is no stopping them until the prey is dead.

Our cats only survived the JRT because they learned to roll over on their back at sight of him, instead of running, which triggered his pursuit drive.

The difference between lap terriers and pitbulls? You can drop kick the little terriers over the yard fence or crush their skull with your foot if need be. Not many people can do either with a full grown pitbull.

The best pit is just a time bomb with an indeterminate fuse. Who knows what might trigger it into a killing frenzy.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yeah, something happened over the last 30-40 yrs, when I was young you seldom heard of attacks like this and people had them back then. I remember my friend's dad raised them, Walter and I were doing some stuff on my Camaro when we saw his dad come out of the house with a shotgun and walked over to sam his male pit and blow his head off, Walter asked him why and he said sam had growled at him earlier.

Exactly Roger. That is what happened. The owners quit taking responsibility for their dog and killing them for transgressing.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've said it before - the breed is schizophrenic. It's a brain defect bred into them. They can be the greatest pets in the world but something can trigger a complete change from pet to killer in an instant. Owners always say what great pets they are but theirs just hasn't switched yet.

Just wondering out loud, how many years does it take to cater a breed of dog to a specific task?

Hunters and dog breeders have done this since domestication began

several generations of pit bulls being the groid dog of choice,

groid dog
groid behavior

Pretty interesting read.

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/how-to-tame-a-fox-and-build-a-dog

National Geographic did an article on said Soviet fox farm a few years ago. It reads much differently, and is much more demeaning of the Communist Government of USSR through the 60s and 70s.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our shelter is the same way

Most of the dogs are “pit bull/mix” or straight up pits

Why do we the public want to redistribute these animals right back out to unknowing or in-denial nitwits.

A person I knew of (co-worker’ mom) was a bleeding heart sucker for these things. She ran a somewhat of a “halfway house” of all places in a crowded subdivision. Had 1/2 dozen of them at any given time. Problem dogs on a rotation, she “try” them out in a new homing environment.

Bad recipe, I figured one day he’d tell his me mother got chewed up.

Older German lady, strange outfit

Fugged up government policies. Cities destroy perfectly good firearms which could be sold to fund many programs. But they spend huge sums to raise puppies of dangerous breeds and redistribute them onto city streets.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"According to a Barrow County Sheriff’s report, a deputy who responded to a witness' report of the attack arrived on the scene to find the girl lying face down against a curb, with one dog grabbing her neck and the other biting at the girl’s head."

This was in a suburban neighborhood. Obviously, the kids were not back in school. At least one person witnessed the attack and called 911. Probably there were more witnesses.
The girl is laying face down on the street, her face against the curb, and two dogs attacking her head. And nobody came forth to help that little girl? Not a single 16 year old high school boy ran out with a baseball bat, or a 2x4? Not a single housewife came out, with a frying pan or a butcher knife.
Nobody came to help. They waited on law enforcement.

Just another example of the continuing pussification of Americans.

Yes, that is a shame and shows the problem we face. Everyone wants the government to take care of them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pits need to be exterminated.

Period.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Update:

https://www.classiccitynews.com/pos...k-victim-reportedly-breathing-on-her-own

She has had more surgery. Is doing somewhat better. Horrific ordeal.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Update:

https://www.classiccitynews.com/pos...k-victim-reportedly-breathing-on-her-own

She has had more surgery. Is doing somewhat better. Horrific ordeal.

The photo of that girl is pathetic.

Then neighbors ought to get together and kill the owner of those dogs.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As the warning at the top of the page indicates, very graphic content.

Think twice about proceeding to see the pictures, you can't unsee them. sick

There is a good close up of his face right after surgery -- I've seen enough stitching to see that he had a very good plastic surgeon who really knows his/her onions.

From the article: "Kalamazoo County Animal Control is investigating the case. The dog's current whereabouts is unclear."

Mommy is still defending the loving dog and speaking of him in the present tense -- i.e. the dog is NOT pushing up daisies! mad

You can't make this sh*t up. Sigh. eek cry

Contrast this thread on pit bulls with the other current threads about getting hunting breed puppies, beagle, GSP or labrador puppies.

The difference is (sadly) predictable.

John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Reading this thread got me thinking. Say you’re driving down the road and come across a pitbull attacking some kid and you figure using your pistol wouldn’t be prudent as the dog’s on top of the kid, there’s lots of people around, or it just wouldn’t be safe, what do you kill it with? I’d probably take my knife to it under the circumstances but that wouldn’t be my first choice if given time to think about it. Maybe a framing hammer or a hatchet would be handy to keep in the truck. Any ideas?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad.....truly sad.
You brought up a good point.
Counseling was mentioned in the article.
I think it takes much longer for internal scars to heal than the skin.
Just a thought.

I once knew a little girl that this happened to .
Same breed of dog attacked. . Playing with the owner's little girl.
Ripped up her face.
I Met her and the Mom after the incident. I noticed that the mom's sister and parents constantly brought it up in front of this happy little girl. I saw her reaction from joy to sadness as they would describe the morbid details of the attack in front of her. Then they'd talk about the girl's "scarred and deformed face."
At that point, id immediately take her by the hand and lead her to just out of ear shot to get her mind occupied on something positive.
Afterwards, I would have a talk with the mom and family members, without children present.
This continued until the mom was offended by my comments that " Every time the adults would describe how "horrible" she looked and details of the attack, she would be forced to relive it over and over, never to forget. I told them If she brought it up, then listen and comfort. But every time you tell her what she could have been if she wasn't so ugly, you are investing in a lifetime of pain /problems in her life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billhilly
Reading this thread got me thinking. Say you’re driving down the road and come across a pitbull attacking some kid and you figure using your pistol wouldn’t be prudent as the dog’s on top of the kid, there’s lots of people around, or it just wouldn’t be safe, what do you kill it with? I’d probably take my knife to it under the circumstances but that wouldn’t be my first choice if given time to think about it. Maybe a framing hammer or a hatchet would be handy to keep in the truck. Any ideas?

We used to talk about this subject many times.
I studied all that I could find by the experts.
I didn't really know what I was talking about until I was attacked by a Chow, taken crushing bites by Rottweilers, an Alligator and various exotics too.

The thing that was clear should have a thread of its own.
1. These beasts can and do crush flesh, muscle tissue, tendon and bone.
2. They have powerful necks and utilize their entire body 200% and shake large adult males over twice their body weight.....just like a rag doll
3. A man's man WILL risk his own life to intervene and possibly save the child's life. From your good question, you surely would.
4..Just like Combat with humans, we need training, preplanning, continued education and practice to gain an advantage over these killing machines.
The weapon is important, but the training is far more important. I'm qualified to address both.
There's no easy answer, however I may teach this on this campfire forum if you get your friends together and there's enough interest.
PM me if you'd like that to happen.

Best regards,

Happy camper

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.