Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jelly was sold in glass jars that were table glasses when emptied.

Cloth baby diapers that we washed,---------.

No wonder the landfills are all filling up.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I barely remember refillable milk bottles.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Could sell your Coca-cola bottles back to the convenience store.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We had a milk bar. Milk was delivered in stainless 5 gallon containers. Coldest and best milk I ever tasted.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two dairies local sell their milk in returnable glass bottles. Gotta pay 2 bucks deposit though and make sure its washed out to get deposit back.

Dad was a milk man for about 5 years. I remember cottage cheese in multi colored aluminum cups. Grandparents still had a nice collection of those when they passed but someone absconded with them and never fessed up.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pour the cream off the top and use it on Grape Nuts cereal.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My uncle's family ran a GradeA dairy for years and years, including using glass bottles and delivery every day except weekends, when they still had to milk, bottle and pasteurize the cow's output. I was kinda shocked when they got tired of all that and went to plastic jugs, and selling at the local grcoery stores instead of delivering in three counties. Folks said their milk was like drinking ice cream, it was so good.

It was a helluva lot of work, and barely paid the bills even then.

After I got out of the Army, I worked in a grocery store for awhile, and can still remember having to sort the glass pop bottles that came into the store. I was pretty happy when the glass bottles went away.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
69 years old and never had milk in glass bottles.
Lots of jelly jar glasses.
Wife used cloth diapers on our now 39-year-old son when he was a baby. I never could get the damned things on him right.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stories my mom told of going across the street and getting a bucket of beer for grandpa stick in my mind. The bar was still there when I came along, but I think the bucket deal was a goner by then.

We had milk delivered on the stoop and I can still remember wanting to be first to open the bottle so I could get the little disc of cream just for myself. We also had seltzer delivered in those bottles you see in the old Marx Bros movies. Made our own sodas.

When we moved to SoCal, we also had Al the donut man, drove around in a Step-Van with fresh baked goodies he picked up that morning from the bakery in town.

Meat came from a butcher shop, even in the grocery stores you could watch it being cut. Not extra charge if you wanted a special cut off a side that was hanging. Livers came as liver that was sliced there, not frozen in a little plastic tub. Hamburger was sold as "chuck" or "sirloin" and was ground there in the store. No combining meat from 2700 cows a day into a big vat with "pink slime" and whatever accumulated smegma was on the machine. One could eat it raw when mom opened the package to make some without much fear of getting "E. coli" or the "toemain".

I miss glass bottles for most stuff. Glass will just return to the earth eventually, after being used for many many times if designed correctly. We even have natural glass laying around in the dirt on our place. But we don't have natural polyethylene pebbles here.

Somethings about the olden days I miss................but I still want to keep the fuel injected vehicles that start right up on cold mornings.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my first jobs as a young teenager was working at the local creamery, washing out those bottles and sterilizing them in some sort of steamer. Hot, nasty job, I soon found other opportunities.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those little disc on top the milk bottles sometimes had celebrity pictures on them like Roy Rogers. If the milk was not brought in right away in the winter, it froze and the frozen cream pushed the top off and was about 2-3 " above the glass.Then some stray cat would be right ther licking it off.
We had a Guernsey cow for awhile and she would produce more ,milk than us four kids could drink.Plus we had all the butter and cottage cheese we could stand. Finally got a hog to feed the excess to

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Dad was a milk man for about 5 years.

I wonder how many brothers and sisters you have that you don't know or know of??? laugh

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
FC, our daughter likes those aluminum cups!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Those frankfurters all strung together.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I never drank delivered milk. Mother took gallon glass jugs to a local dairy farmer and got it out of the cooled bulk tank. After setting for a while she skimmed cream off the top; fresh cool cream on wild blueberries was the greatest treat imaginable.

Dale

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Our milk bottles had four legs. I and brothers milked them by hand twice a day. That was 50 plus years ago and I still hate it.

Last edited by dale06; 08/05/20.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Grocery stores gave away dishes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
Could sell your Coca-cola bottles back to the convenience store.

That's what we'd do for some pocket change when we were running around town in summertime!

You could drive down the alleys and roads and pick up those bottles and get enough $$ for a pocketful of penny candy! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Grocery stores gave away dishes.

My mom saved both S&H Green Stamps & Gold Bond stamps.

She got some kitchen trinkets, but you'd have to feed an army for a year before getting a new TV or stereo. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to go walk the ditches picking up bottles to turn in. Michigan has deposits on cans and you never see any cans laying along side the road. Anybody remember Chocolate Soldier chocolate pop?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.