-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gonna be in the Anchorage area next week, assuming I don’t come up Covetarded in the next few days.

Any suggestions, must do’s, etc......? Would like to get a day of fishing in but was leary to book a trip with all the hoopla going on. Thinking I’d wait until I’m wheels down.

Anybody want to meet up for a beer, give a holler.

Restaurants? Gun shops?

Last edited by MadMooner; 08/05/20.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Maybe not your thing, but the zoo is very nice. Not as fancy as some of the big city ones, but we found it well worth the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suggest staying out of Anchorage, the mayor has it pretty much locked down. Head out to the valley or south and you'll find plenty to do.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Gonna be in the Anchorage area next week, assuming I don’t come up Covetarded in the next few days.

Any suggestions, must do’s, etc......? Would like to get a day of fishing in but was leary to book a trip with all the hoopla going on. Thinking I’d wait until I’m wheels down.

Anybody want to meet up for a beer, give a holler.

Restaurants? Gun shops?

How long will you be incountry? Transportation? Amount of free time?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Qwennies restaurant on Spenard ave. in Anchorage used to be a must. Quite the cuisine, many reindeer recipes and atmosphere. But it has been several years since I resided there.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would be Gwennies and they are shut down... Kriners is a must...

Strange salmon year... Cook Inlet silvers are started and the missing red run suddenly shows up???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 10th is the opener for grouse and ptarmigan...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the ideas!

Will be in town 11th through the 18th. Bringing the family up to visit the in-laws in Eagle River. Will get a car.

Checked the zoo and it's open so will definitely do that with the kids.

Haven't really planned anything as we aren't sure what might be open.

BIL likes to hunt and fish. He's been there for about a year. Will check out ptarmigan and grouse for sure! Just looked and a NR smallgame license is only $60.

Seems like a bargain!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Head up to Talkeetna or down to Seward.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lets add this up:

You are here August 11-18.
You have a brother in law that has resided in AK for one year.
Your brother in law likes to hunt. And fish, but that's not where this train is headed....

You should go sheep hunting! Send the kids to the zoo... they'll be fine. Drag that BIL to the mountains!

BIL satisfies the "second degree of kindred" "guide" requirement, and sheep season opens August 10.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Lets add this up:

Your brother in law likes to hunt. And fish, but that's not where this train is headed....

You should go sheep hunting! Send the kids to the zoo... they'll be fine. Drag that BIL to the mountains!

BIL satisfies the "second degree of kindred" "guide" requirement, and sheep season opens August 10.

Are you offering to let him try and keep up with you? That's awfully nice

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lets add this up:

This guy.

I was gonna say something lame like Eagle River Nature Center, any of the hikes in there, or Eklutna Reservoir. I think it's ok to hike outside without C19 restrictions, but better check on the latest. Tons of hiking around; you could go to Hatcher Pass. But yeah, what cwh2 said.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Thanks for the ideas!

Will be in town 11th through the 18th. Bringing the family up to visit the in-laws in Eagle River. Will get a car.

Checked the zoo and it's open so will definitely do that with the kids.

Haven't really planned anything as we aren't sure what might be open.

BIL likes to hunt and fish. He's been there for about a year. Will check out ptarmigan and grouse for sure! Just looked and a NR smallgame license is only $60.

Seems like a bargain!

Looks like a good bird year right now in most places... I would avoid Seward due to Covid crazies... but hiking up to Exit Glacier is worthwhile for kids and you do not have to go all the way into Seward to get there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Lets add this up:

Are you offering to let him try and keep up with you? That's awfully nice

He is a sadist, isn't he?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hamburger Haven on Muldoon.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lets add this up:

Hmmmm...

That sounds like a lot more fun than the zoo!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The zoo is pretty cool, for a zoo

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lets add this up:

MM:

There won't be many opportunities like this in your lifetime. You ought to take advantage of it while it' there.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hear ya.
We talked a bit about planning a hunt when he moved up there.
I don't want to halfazz it this trip. We can make plans for next year or the year after and be prepared.

Thanks again, gentleman.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 358WCF, 673, 13 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.