Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 65BR

Most rounds today work, just depends how far you want to shoot, and recoil and blast you want to tolerate, but the 'lower rung' rounds often reach and kill far better than many give them credit. In Real Estate, they say location location location. Killing game is similar....location of your shot placement. Usually fault lies with the driver, not the vehicle.

Yes, JB is always spot on.

These are wise words, and mirror my experience.

When things go wrong, very,very rarely is it something wonky with a bullet or a with an "under-powered" cartridge. Marginal hits and lack-luster shooting seem to have been the culprits nearly every time. I saw this as a teen, and I have seen it many times in the intervening decades, even with all of the fancy bullets that have come on the market since.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been toting a 7mm Mag since I was 13 which would be in 1976. Father bought one in 62 or 63 when it first came out. Grandfather got one in 65. Brother got one the same year I got mine. I don't know how many heads of western game my family has shot with them, but it is a bunch. Mine also made 5 trips to Africa where I used it on things like zebra/gemsbok/wildebeest etc... I've never seen it fail in the field and if it didn't bring the game home it was the shooter's fault and not the round's fault.

Can't really say if the 7mm Mag is any better or any worse than the 06/270/300 mags etc... but I have helped hang a lot of meat that fell to it over the last 45+ years. Just sayin....

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If you shoot a Sako, you never miss!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I recall correctly. Elmer Keith wrote about how the 25-06 once again failed miserably. He took out 2 inches of a buck's spine and he still ran a long ways.

Last edited by 280shooter; 08/05/20.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
.280 I have read most of Elmers stuff.. Never remember if him shooting any big game with one..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Nope, nothing against the 7mm Remington Magnum. Have owned several, including the Mauser M18 used for that article, and it's a fine round.

Yep, fine round, but there's no magic there, same for lots of other rounds................pick one, use good bullets, hit the right spot.

As for me, all but my larger bore magnums have long since gone down the road, standard rounds work just fine for non-dangerous game, given the above comment.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
.280 I have read most of Elmers stuff.. Never remember if him shooting any big game with one..

I could have mistaken someone else's writing for his.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Another kick to my ego... I think the 7 Rem Mag is just about a perfect round. Great ballistics and really good speed. Of course, if I was so great at knowing which calibers were awesome, maybe I wouldnt have so many different stacks of ammo on the shelf.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To paraphrase ( I think Finn Aagaard)

If he shot it with a 308 and it ran off.... he didn’t shoot it in the heart!

I sure hope I got that reference right...I think he was referring to nosler partitions but....

Someone out there has to remember that one.

Ben

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Comparing the 7 mag and the 6.5 cm following in the same sentence makes a lot of sense to me. If you were a 7 mag guy back in the 80's it was the best because of the high bc bullets and the long maximum point blank range.

Before ballistic reticles and dialing scopes we all focused on our maximum range where we could hold the duplex on the game animal without any holdover and still land our shot in the vitals. With the 7 mag you could have a 200 yard zero and stay fairly close out to 300+ - yards. That was the old way of doing things.

Now with electronic rangefinders and ballistic reticles and dialing scopes the higher velocity isn't as important as high ballistic coefficient bullets and accurate range estimation. The 6.5 cm strength is similar to what the 7 mag once had for having the advantage over longer distance but the application is different and now even further down range.

God Bless America
IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
In 2008 I drew a public tag for one of Utah's premier elk ranches (the 200,000 acre+ Deseret Ranch), which also included 1x1 guiding. When I got there, my guide--who I already knew--was in a foul mood. It turns out his previous client had shot a nice bull, but the bull did not drop immediately. When told to shoot it again, he said something along the lines of "no, I don't need to because this is a 7 Mag." Needless to say, the bull was lost and guide took the client on a three day death march looking for the bull.

Although I was not packing a 7 mag on that hunt, I use it probably more than any other cartridge because it combines the best attributes of the .270 and the 30-06. But one thing about my elk hunt was for certain--if my bull was still on its feet after my first shot I was not waiting to be told to shoot again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 Creed is the best.

Roll Tide.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I don't understand why some people think the 7mm Mag can't be shot well by most shooters. For the people who can't, I tend to believe it wouldn't matter what rifle they were shooting, because the rifle isn't the problem. Les Bowman noted when he guided that his clients who were shooting 7mm Rem Mags shot noticeable better than those who shot 300 mags of some sort. Muledeer noted that one of his PHs once said only about one third of his clients could shoot a 300 well. Considering the recoil of a 7mm Rem Mag is very similar to a 30-06(within two or three foot pounds of recoil), which was part of the design requirements when Remington developed the 7 mag, I don't understand why the cartridge itself would be a factor to blame for poor shooting. I also think the 7mm Rem Mag is one of the greatest hunting rounds ever developed. It will do anything a 300 can do, except hit the shooter with 20% more recoil. It delivers higher sectional density bullets than an '06 with more velocity, and higher BC values that really shine at longer ranges over the '06, all at very close to the same level of recoil as a 30-06. Seems funny to me, nobody says they have never seen anybody shoot a 300 Win Mag well, but that happens quite often. That round kicks, pretty hard. If a shooter can't handle it, is the round to blame? Chuck Mawhinney is one such example who shoots a 7mag, and does so quite well. But the reverse of what I said above is also true, it doesn't matter what rifle you put in Mr. Mawhinney's hands, he's going to shoot it well. The Secret Service used the 7 mag for their sniper round for a while. Someobody should have told them it can't be shot well, apparently they were unaware lol.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gatekeeper,

You may or may not have seen the article I did for American Rifleman over a decade ago after interviewing Chuck Mawhinney (more than once), but yeah, he used it on a lot of elk, sometimes out to over 600 yards with factory ammo. He liked it a lot--and he said his preferred method of hunting involved sitting down and glassing an area where he knew elk would move.

I do suspect, however, that some (not all) 7mm Remington Magnum users believed in its magic killing power so much that they were less skilled shooters than Chuck. I know this partly from my own guiding days in the 1980s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a nice Weatherby chambered for 7mm RM. Its a good shooter and a fine round but its not my thing. I prefer less boom and pound.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I haven't read that article, but it sounds very interesting. I see the point in thinking the round to be magical, and thus not requiring marksmanship, obviously being a problem if an uninformed hunter thought that way. I think marketing and current trends influence people negatively at times. Kinda how some people think you absolutely need a 300 magnum to kill an elk. I used to be one of those guys who thought that, and I thought I was well informed lol. I just think the 7mm mag is a very efficient round for the level of recoil, but magical it is not. As a Marine myself, I find Chuck Mawhinney's rifle choice very interesting. He is a true icon of the Corpse, as well as an obviously phenomenal shooter. I would be very interested in reading it if I can find a copy. I knew from speaking with you he has hunted with the 7mm Rem Mag quite a bit.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is exactly what turned me off on the 7 mag. Met a guy out hunting circa 1986 and his 7 mag was WAY better than the 270's and 6.5-06 we were using. shocked

All three of us filled our tags, while he missed and wounded deer. To this day, I have never owned a 7 mag, and never will.

Irrational I know, but life's experiences are what influences us.

Arcus Venator
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Did I ever mention the guy who told me the .308 Winchester sucked for whitetail deer, because he once shot a buck right in the heart with a .308, and the deer ran off, never to be found?

Musta been with one of them Nosler Partitions, and it penciled on through without opening up.

Happens all the time....

That deer's name was Chuck Norris.

Heart so tough the bullet just bounced back out the hole it came in.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I will admit, the benefit a 7mag offers over a 270, or similar standard cartridge, is slight. I have probably killed more deer with a 270 than any other round, and it is superb. I would feel confident shooting any non dangerous game, short maybe of eland (although I imagine it would still work if used properly), as I would my 7mm-08 or 308 as well. I carry a 7 mag for the rare event I could use the extra penetration and added horsepower at longer range, but honestly haven't killed anything yet that couldn't have been neatly killed with the standard 270, 308, 7mm-08. I still like it though, and it has performed well for me. I think rifle rounds are like the old saying, 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'. My way doesn't have to be your way.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
John,
I believe I found your article on Chuck Mawhinney, "A Marine's Rifle". Excellent article. Interesting how Mr. Mawhinney, along with 15 other snipers reported never having any problems with their 700s. Those M40 reproductions sure sound nice!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.