Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Again, you should read one of those books so you can avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.
laffin’
Seriously, it's obvious that you've never examined those beliefs. It's like you still believe in Peak Oil.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consistent Message - containing theological ideas compatible with other accepted Christian writings (incl. the divinity and humanity Jesus).

The matter of the divinity and humanity of
Jesus was decided in 325 by a very close ballot,
which involved vote stacking, bribery, threats and
and intimidation.

Who in their right mind would consider the
result credible?

.. Regardless, what we have now was put
together by a bunch of 4th century guys who were
trying to cobble together something that would suit an
Emperor who was establishing a State Religion. Did
God watch over that and make sure that we have what
He wanted us to have...?

Council of Rome 382 had about as much integrity
in the process as that dogs breakfast at Nicaea 325.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
IF there is a god, IMHO, he just doesn't GAF. We are on our own, make or break, and chit happens.

On the other hand, there are dogs, so maybe HE does.

So, HE should control us as one would a retriever, rather than giving us instruction and free will to choose. Dogs cant choose, they do as their senses or desires dictate. They can not sin, but then, they cant choose the Good News, either.

Amazing that as this nation rejects HIM, we become more and more like China or other godless places.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldHat
I actually believe the voted out books is God cleaning up His inspired word.
That’s very possible. Maybe He did as you say. If the entire Bible (Old and New Testament’s) are equally inspired by God, are they equally applicable...? Is believing in the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation as important as believing in Jesus’ New Covenant...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Since you brought it up, baldhunter...

What began as a mass of ever-embellished verbal stories in Aramaic and other languages is finally collected in about the year 600, with about a third of them being discarded or rejected before being written down in ancient Greek. Later dubiously translated into ancient Latin and even more centuries later into Chaucerian English, early German, and other languages. Then continually revised, re-translated, abridged, and essentially re-written from scratch.

Until today, we are told to accept it word for word. (Coming soon: The Bible in Ebonics!)

But it’s the WORD OF GOD, they say. So is the Quran, the Talmud, as well as the texts of Buddhism, Taoism, and at least a dozen other “isms” of the thousands of other religions practiced in history and around the globe. Is yours the one and only “right” religion? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them. Is your book the one and only word of god? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them.

I thought Mohammed was supposed to be the third and most recent prophet.
Who both Christians and Jews don't hold much stock in.
And of course the Jews don't hold much stock in the second prophet either.

But perhaps a God is like a parent telling the kids whatever gets the kids to do what they want. And so different groups of kids get different stories.

And then who owns the "house of God" comes into question by the different groups and things get ugly...

We do know where the moslem prophet is buried, iirc.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, you should read one of those books so you can avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.
laffin’
Seriously, it's obvious that you've never examined those beliefs. It's like you still believe in Peak Oil.
still laffin’

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
It's what you believe, Old hat, but you cannot in any way KNOW what I said isn't true. Besides, what you say proves mine: people invent gods.

I know it because I provided a counter example. If religion were simply a way of filling knowledge gaps then modern highly educated people would not believe deeply in it. Your claim that religion is the result of ignorance is hackneyed atheist propaganda.

Kind of like being an ignorant Republican?

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That is precisely my point, Jim: Humans deify EVERYTHING. Gods and religion are simply madeup superstition from the time when Og couldn't understand why his children died or even why it rained. There had to be something invisible that controlled it all. Hence, gods.

Then some clever villager realized that if he declared himself the only emissary that could talk to those gods, he could be as powerful as the village chief. And presto there were priests and their contrived version of reality/religion.

I see no error in this. To think any of "it" is literal is silly at best, IMO. Man learns from "it" and applies "it" to modern life, not blindly believes because "it" says so in "THE" book. All the contrived nonsense men use to try to justify and explain "it" is what is the silliest of all.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
God,is there one or not?If there really is a God why is their disease,famine,wars?Because God gave us a free will and a soul .Our body is just a vessel that contains our soul during human life.We can think,write ,imagine and have the choice of doing right or wrong.God does not interfere.Hell and heaven.Neither are actually places.If you believe in God you have eternal life as a spirit or part of the eternal awareness.Hell is nothingness.You die ,you are done.Religions are mostly man made to make people conform to who ever is in power.They are bought and sold like whores in a cathouse.If we have a soul(and I don`t think everyone does)you know right from wrong and do not need someone to tell you.Souless people are ones like Hitler,Obama and just about any dimocrat.Plenty of Republicans also.How do I know there is a God?There for sure is Evil on this Planet.If there is evil their must be Good.If not this planet would be a raging clusterfugg.Yeah ,I know it is headed that way now.The Devil likes to tempt us.Free health insurance,free baby killing and anything that is good and righteous is bad.I believe we are here for a reason and we can accept it or deny it and determine our own fate.Of course denying it is the easy way.JMHO Huntz

Good will become evil and evil good. Some illiterate sheep herder was evidently pretty sharp, huh?
In the latter days HIS message will be spread over the earth and the age of information will explode, HE essentialy said. HE may have been right.

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Picts or it didn't happen..

3825 24336
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
God,is there one or not?If there really is a God why is their disease,famine,wars?Because God gave us a free will and a soul .Our body is just a vessel that contains our soul during human life.We can think,write ,imagine and have the choice of doing right or wrong.God does not interfere.Hell and heaven.Neither are actually places.If you believe in God you have eternal life as a spirit or part of the eternal awareness.Hell is nothingness.You die ,you are done.Religions are mostly man made to make people conform to who ever is in power.They are bought and sold like whores in a cathouse.If we have a soul(and I don`t think everyone does)you know right from wrong and do not need someone to tell you.Souless people are ones like Hitler,Obama and just about any dimocrat.Plenty of Republicans also.How do I know there is a God?There for sure is Evil on this Planet.If there is evil their must be Good.If not this planet would be a raging clusterfugg.Yeah ,I know it is headed that way now.The Devil likes to tempt us.Free health insurance,free baby killing and anything that is good and righteous is bad.I believe we are here for a reason and we can accept it or deny it and determine our own fate.Of course denying it is the easy way.JMHO Huntz

Good will become evil and evil good. Some illiterate sheep herder was evidently pretty sharp, huh?
In the latter days HIS message will be spread over the earth and the age of information will explode, HE essentialy said. HE may have been right.

Now, re being dead and gone and not suffering:
Revelation 20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Jag and others. It is not the unbelievers who are afraid. Religion is there with all its promised comforts of the hereafter precisely because we as humans are afraid of death. So we try to soften it by making up stories of how wonderful it will all be after we die.

In actuality, it ought to be just the opposite. The reality is that when we die, we absolutely cease to exist. ALL the evidence says that we simply...stop. The good news is that we will never know we are dead. It would be impossible to be aware of anything, including that we are unaware. It is in fact exactly like falling asleep: we do not notice the moment when we stop being conscious precisely because we are unconscious.

That should be a comfort. It is a comfort to me. I think that if I were in fact able to "look back down upon myself" from soul height and realize that I was dead, it would be a horrific trauma. I'm confident that won't be the case, for which I am deeply grateful. The sad thing is that all you believers won't know you were wrong and none of those promises will happen. I won't know I'm right and you won't know you're wrong.

Lastly (and maybe I'll give this an everlasting rest, ha!) I will say that I am not an atheist. An atheist is an anti-religion zealot, just as eager to convert as the most fervent missionary. I am not that. I am simply a non-believer who was raised in the most rigorous Catholic way - until I started asking what seemed to be rational questions. And got what were patently absurd answers, one whopper after another to "explain away" every earlier whopper. And it all unraveled. I'm still pointing out the absurdities. And slyly smiling.

Then why try to derail us in our attempts to discuss and understand scripture? What are you trying to save us from? Living a decent life on earth?

Must you accept a believers help if you have a flat beside the road, or should we allow you to take care of it with the fishing buddies travelling with you?

Is your help is saving us coming with a bill, or is it free? If free, its probably worthless.

This thread was not to help you. It was to reveal a different take on scripture to Believers to discuss.

We arent sending you a bill either, so our discussion is worthless to you, also. So why not just go discuss puppies or flying or politics rather than expend so much mental and physical typing effort try to help us change our tire? You cant help it, you have to try and help us out.

Its as if you are driven by a satanic force. You are drawn like a moth to a flame. You cant ignore believers and just walk on by.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/06/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
The matter of the divinity and humanity of
Jesus was decided in 325 by a very close ballot,
which involved vote stacking, bribery, threats and
and intimidation.

Who in their right mind would consider the
result credible?

.. Regardless, what we have now was put
together by a bunch of 4th century guys who were
trying to cobble together something that would suit an
Emperor who was establishing a State Religion. Did
God watch over that and make sure that we have what
He wanted us to have...?

Council of Rome 382 had about as much integrity
in the process as that dogs breakfast at Nicaea 325.
Were you there or is this what Dan Brown told you? Or was it a comic book or computer game you learned this from?

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Religion only really cares about "life" after death, and salvation doesn't require leading a "good life". What a terrible mindset to be introducing to young and malleable minds of children.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 08/06/20.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
People can believe whatever they choose. My life has become better with the belief Jesus died and was resurrected three days afterward. I accept the Bible at face value. Doe this make me a better person than others? No, but it guides me to be a better person, a happier person, a content person. I'm far from perfect and sin every day. My only regret is I didn't accept Jesus as my savior years ago. The words in the Bible are like the UCMJ, they can burn you or save you. YMMV

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. Were you there or is this what Dan Brown told you? Or was it a comic book or computer game you learned this from?

Where you there when a Jesus allegedly
performed miracles, rose himself from the
dead and flew into the clouds?

Not even the unknown authors of the Gospels
can claim witness to such, but you take their
word for it.. 😂

Comic books and Bible, there's little difference.
Kids are told their super heroes are not real by
adults who believe in religious mythology.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Religion only really cares about "life" after death,...
Jesus’ teachings of loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others is clearly the polar opposite of your assertion.
...and salvation doesn't require leading a "good life".
That’s right...because grace can’t be earned...if it could be earned then it wouldn’t be grace. But, loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others would certainly go towards leading a good life. Not done as often or as good as it should be, but the premise is still there. If the only thing motivating a person to be good and decent is the expectation of a divine reward, then that person likely has a bad theology.
What a terrible mindset to be introducing to young and malleable minds of children.
I think teaching children Jesus’ New Covenant commands is a great mindset for them to have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
People can believe whatever they choose. My life has become better with the belief Jesus died and was resurrected three days afterward. I accept the Bible at face value. Doe this make me a better person than others? No, but it guides me to be a better person, a happier person, a content person. I'm far from perfect and sin every day. My only regret is I didn't accept Jesus as my savior years ago.
Sound wisdom.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Rocky, there are a lot of threads on the Fire I never open because I have no interest. Tractors, chainsaws, planes, Mi get togethers, childrens books, price haggling, space X, chickend coming home, building rachets, chess, whirlpools, etc.

Why? I have no interest. Why do those who have no interest try to tell believers all about it. Makes about as much since as me pontificating on rocket launches and telling fly boys they dont know wth they are talk8ng about.

Most unbelievers cant just walk on by. They have to pontificate and denigrate and ridicule?

Why?

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Rocky, there are a lot of threads on the Fire I never open because I have no interest. Tractors, chainsaws, planes, Mi get togethers, childrens books, price haggling, space X, chickend coming home, building rachets, chess, whirlpools, etc. Why? I have no interest. Why do those who have no interest try to tell believers all about it. Makes about as much since as me pontificating on rocket launches and telling fly boys they dont know wth they are talking about. Most unbelievers cant just walk on by. They have to pontificate and denigrate and ridicule? Why?
Truth...!

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.