-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to have been the size of the box... I've shipped rifles many times and just received one last week and shipping has never been over $40 with insurance up to $1K.... I usually use a cheap plastic gun case for protection and wrap it in cardboard to sort of hide the contents.... usually it is only about 4" deep when done.... all the USPS offices use the same shipping formula for size and rates.... never had a problem with USPS shipping either. Always get there in about 3-4 days, depending on how far I ship it....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had more trouble with USPS than anybody else. The insurance seems to be about worthless as well. Never heard anyone praise it. Only, “I got fugked” or “after 6 months of fighting.....”

Bunch of .gov fugktard employees.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
That seems really high. I bet the depth got you.

The alley oop

The depth always gets Beaver10 and his very best friend too.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
That seems really high. I bet the depth got you.

The alley oop

The depth always gets Beaver10 and his very best friend too.

Depth isn’t an issue for you BrownEyeBob...You Go Girl!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LMFAO 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I haven't shipped a rifle in a long time. Just got back from the Post Office and it cost me $106.00 to ship a Colt 6920 to North Carolina with $1,200.00 insurance. Priority shipping was $89.99! I even cut the box down as much as I dared to 35" long x15" wide x 8" deep.

Won't be doing that again! Fuggin highway robbery!
You couldn't find a bigger box? laugh laugh Geez.. 35X15X8? That's a big reason why it was so high..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
..... The insurance seems to be about worthless as well.
"Seems"?? HAH! The operative word there should be 'totally' (worthless).

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Set up a UPS account online. There are always UPS coupon codes floating around online that you can use for 15-40% off. Then you just print the label at home, take the package to a UPS counter, and drop it off, no questions asked. If it is high insurance there is a form they will sign for you at dropoff. Only thing UPS did a few years ago is they put a $15 surcharge on any box over 48". That was just aimed at long guns. Though sometimes you can get a long gun under that size box, if you have a shorter case. UPS says that a gun has to be in a hard case or the factory box. For guns that don't have the factory box, I just get the cheap plastic cases from Bass Pro or similar for about $18 max.

Recently shipped a CZ rifle to California from Michigan. $1200 insurance and the bill came to $52.10. They charge $1.10 per $100 value for insurance. It was at the local UPS hub for 4 days in CA before being delivered. And once delivered, the stock was snapped in half at the wrist. Hard case and box it was in was not damaged at all. Of all the guns I have shipped or received, that was the only one I have ever had damaged or delayed by UPS.

The claim process was relatively smooth. Buyer had a half-assed "repair quote" written up for the full $1200 value. I think he just used his own company letterhead. It wasn't even a gunsmith company. They will pay the lowest of A) the item value B) the repair cost or C) the insured amount. They have already issued a check for $1200 + shipping reimbursement. Buyer chose to keep the gun. I did give him the option of returning it before doing the FFL paperwork. I am charging him a portion of the claim payout, for my time and efforts. CZ has a replacement stock available and will do the work. So, he will end up with the gun for about $500 total in it.

Last edited by KenMi; 07/29/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I haven't shipped a rifle in a long time. Just got back from the Post Office and it cost me $106.00 to ship a Colt 6920 to North Carolina with $1,200.00 insurance. Priority shipping was $89.99! I even cut the box down as much as I dared to 35" long x15" wide x 8" deep.
Won't be doing that again! Fuggin highway robbery!

You couldn't find a bigger box? laugh laugh Geez.. 35X15X8? That's a big reason why it was so high..

This. That is simply a huge box in which to ship a rifle and the reason the cost was so high. The length is good; but, that depth and width could have been cut almost in half. I know that sometimes we are stuck with whatever size box we have and we want to get things shipped out. Don't get me wrong, shipping prices have gone up; but, $106 for a rifle didn't need to happen. I ship a lot and find that USPS, even though their prices have risen, to be the cheapest of the three.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

That is simply a huge box in which to ship a rifle and the reason the cost was so high. The length is good; but, that depth and width could have been cut almost in half. I know that sometimes we are stuck with whatever size box we have and we want to get things shipped out.

35X15X8, That's about the size of some, not all of the boxes plastic hard cases come in. If the depth and width were cut to approx. 35"X8"X4" like your saying doesn't leave much room for packing/padding in that box. All shipping costs are crazy high and along with the higher shipping cost you get lower/piss poor service as a bonus.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ship long guns using USPS registered mail. Never paid more than $50. Insurance will drive the cost up. Make sure the box is fully taped everywhere. I use the brown paper reinforced tape and never had issues. I’ve always shipped to a FFL and have a copy of the recipients FFL in the box and one on me of asked for it at the post office.

Ship handguns 2nd day with Fedex. Insurance costs drive up the shipping cost real fast.

Lost too many other items in UPS land to ever try with a firearm.

Was told that USPS register mail shipping is the most secure as items stay locked up.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Ship long guns using USPS registered mail. Never paid more than $50. Insurance will drive the cost up. Make sure the box is fully taped everywhere. I use the brown paper reinforced tape and never had issues. I’ve always shipped to a FFL and have a copy of the recipients FFL in the box and one on me of asked for it at the post office.

Ship handguns 2nd day with Fedex. Insurance costs drive up the shipping cost real fast.

Lost too many other items in UPS land to ever try with a firearm.

Was told that USPS register mail shipping is the most secure as items stay locked up.

I'm not an FFL and my experience has been the majority of FFL's refuse to send a copy of their license to an individual. Easy enough to verify their info on the ATF's website.

And some of you obviously can't read, the insurance was less than $18.00. Fuggin Priority Mail was $89.99.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last week I sent a barreled action and a barrel from Texas to New York.I sent it USPS Priority Mail.The package weighed 9lbs 0.4oz.The price was $38.15.Last time I shipped a rifle I used Fed Ex from Texas to Wyoming.The price was just over $20.00.I broke the rifle down and wrapped the stock and the barreled action separately to fit the box I had.So I'd say the weight was probably about the same,the length was about the same,but the box was a little thicker and over twice as wide as the package I sent through USPS.

Last edited by baldhunter; 07/29/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJL53

That is simply a huge box in which to ship a rifle and the reason the cost was so high. The length is good; but, that depth and width could have been cut almost in half. I know that sometimes we are stuck with whatever size box we have and we want to get things shipped out.

35X15X8, That's about the size of some, not all of the boxes plastic hard cases come in. If the depth and width were cut to approx. 35"X8"X4" like your saying doesn't leave much room for packing/padding in that box.

Understood. And, like I said, I know we are often stuck with what we have. After your post I randomly grabbed a rifle box. This one happens to be for a Tikka T3x which I would say is average size. The dimensions of this box are 48.75X3X7 which leaves plenty of room for fit/ packing and padding. An exterior box to cover that one is 52X3.75X8. I just happen to have that from a shipment I recently received. Availability is usually the problem.
All shipping costs are crazy high and along with the higher the shipping cost you get lower/piss poor service as a bonus.

You speaketh the truth my friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn, I needed a smaller box! (That's what she said)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

35X15X8, That's about the size of some, not all of the boxes plastic hard cases come in. If the depth and width were cut to approx. 35"X8"X4" like your saying doesn't leave much room for packing/padding in that box.

Understood. And, like I said, I know we are often stuck with what we have. After your post I randomly grabbed a rifle box. This one happens to be for a Tikka T3x which I would say is average size. The dimensions of this box are 48.75X3X7 which leaves plenty of room for fit/ packing and padding. An exterior box to cover that one is 52X3.75X8. I just happen to have that from a shipment I recently received. Availability is usually the problem.

It's mainly the depth/thickness that got him I'm thinking. I shipped a Savage American Classic I sold a while back here. The factory Savage box was pretty wide compared to most. The overpack box I put it in measured 51-1/4" x 11-1/2" x 3-1/2", 12 lbs - 8.5 oz. Cost $53 to ship USPS Priority with insurance. That's about what it costs to ship a box only 8" wide.

Look at volume: his box 4200 cu in vs. mine at 2063.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a rifle from a guy in Colorado a couple years ago and I asked him to put it in a cheap hard case to protect it in shipping and he agreed. Shipping was included in the price I paid him so I expected him to be frugal and buy one of those cheap plastic cases from Walmart or someplace like that- at least that is what I would have done....

He sends me an email and is complaining about shipping costing him $200 and he lost his ass on the transaction and I'm wondering what the heck went wrong here? The package shows up at my FFL a few days later and he had it packed in one of those round gun cases that look like a hard golf club bag (must have been all he had?), inside, the gun is in a hard, two gun case that must have cost $100, and all the crevices inside the gun case, and all the rest of the area around the gun case and inside the case was stuffed full of towels, blankets, rock wool insulation, and anything he could get his hands on.... the darned package must have weighed 60 lbs and seemed like the size of a minivan... suddenly, the $200 price tag was starting to seem almost reasonable. My FFL and I had a good laugh about it, but I didn't have the heart to let the seller know he could have saved a ton of money if he had just followed my simple instructions.....

The gun case he sent it in is so nice it has become my favorite case for taking guns to the range and for hunting trips.... and it's even extra long so it handles all of my guns, including shot guns....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/29/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started using click and ship but I ship too much stuff........

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I ship through these guys, a division of Bud's Guns. Simple, quick and the least expensive in my experience (including insurance).

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

Thanks foe the tip, shipped a rifle yesterday, with insurance I saved $19.00

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
I have a rifle floating around out there now in the USPS system. Shipped it Priority with tracking and $800 insurance. It’s going to the next State over....it’s been 12 days as of today. I filed an inquiry today to see where exactly it is...my guess is it’s folded in half in a corner of Detroit’s P.O. Glad I sprung for the insurance on this one...
Well...looks like it finally landed today. Sat in a warehouse in Detroit the whole time.

Buy once, cry once.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The last handgun I shipped from First Stop in Rapid City, in a new plano hard case eve, and they charged me $25.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.