Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
"At the other end of the scale are my yuppie friends who have taken up fly fishing with all the gaiety of Jehovah's Witnesses. Where did these people come from? I think what happens is this: If you make over $80,000 a year and drive a Saab, somebody from the Fly Fishing Bureau of Indoctrination shows up at your house and teaches you to false cast in your living room. If you also wear steel-rimmed glasses and have an untrained golden retriever with a red bandana tied around its neck, they immediately present you with a Tonkin bamboo rod (two tips), a brain surgeon's headlamp, and a leather leader wallet embossed with Izaak Walton's profile. At a party, one of these instant experts actually sniffed, 'Of course you can catch more fish on a spinning rod...' Leaving the sentence unfinished, which is a clever way of saying, '... unless you are a total moron' without moving your lips... I most often see these guys heading up tiny creeks, muttering their catechism, 'egg, larva, pupa, adult,' while I'm walking down to bigger water. They end up on their hands and knees casting size 20 Pale Morning Duns to fish that began life in concrete pools, max out at 8 inches, and don't live through the summer. In a way, I admire these guys. What they do takes a lot of skill. On the other hand, so does knitting a hammock for a guinea pig out of dental floss. Doesn't mean I'm going to spend my weekend doing it."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
grin

I’ve always appreciated Heavey’s pieces!

And I’m not scared to catch crappie with minnows!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love to fly fish but not one of the faithful. I like to catch fish, period. If garden hackle is working then I will fish garden hackle or minnows, or chicken livers, ...etc.. But I do love catching pan fish on poppers and can usually out fish salmon egg dunkers on trout.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.