Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've never been in the least bit tempted to send my DNA to a corporation.

How about you? wink

Blackstone has agreed to buy a majority stake in Ancestry.com, the genealogy website known for tracing family history, in a deal valued at $4.7bn including debt.

The private equity group will receive a close to 75 per cent stake in the company, according to a person briefed on the matter, in the first big purchase for Blackstone’s latest buyout fund.

“We believe Ancestry has significant runway for further growth as people of all ages and backgrounds become increasingly interested in learning more about their family histories and themselves,” David Kestnbaum, a senior managing director at Blackstone, said in a statement announcing the deal on Wednesday.

The family history group also offers DNA testing and has branched out into genomics in recent years, with the company last month saying that its scientists had identified a DNA link that could explain why coronavirus “seems to take a greater toll on men than women”.

This month it launched a screening service designed to test individuals’ risk of developing inheritable health conditions such as heart disease, breast cancer and colon cancer.

The company’s rival in consumer DNA testing 23andMe has teamed up with UK drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline to identify potential drug candidates and the companies plan to launch a clinical trial later this year.

https://www.ft.com/content/b84613e4-8751-45e6-94ff-a014de6e4c0d

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The government knows too much about me already. They don't need to know anything more.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Unca suga/ DOD already has a huge repository of DNA dog tag samples from service members since the early 90,s.

Think about how that could be used in the future.

Prescreened phys wise and intell wise already.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's unreal the anal exam you are subjected to for a govt contract.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made the mistake of getting goaded into it by KYHillChick for genealogy purposes. I made my deposit to ancestry.com.

Dad was "Sparky" in the real-life version of M.A.S.H. He was the guy at the switchboard in Seoul. One of his jobs was delivering nurses out to the units. His buddy would drive. Dad entertained in the back with screwdrivers made from frozen OJ concentrate and medicinal alcohol. He said he did his patriotic duty and made sure all his charges were delivered drunk and pregnant. The memory of that story came to me about 2 weeks after I'd submitted the sample.

Luckily, I haven't been deluged with emails from missing half-siblings. At least, not yet. However, Ancestry.com has found two distant half-cousins. One was probably a love child produced by a barmaid hooking up with my ne'er-do-well uncle and the other was probably produced by a distant cousin that was an FBI agent doing pre-employment security checks for Oak Ridge during WWII.

One thing was for sure about the findings of the test: There were no hidden secrets. It matched perfectly with known family history. Dad's side has been sitting in the same part of southern Germany since Roman times. Mom's side is a hodge-podge of early-Americans (English, Dutch) with a hefty dose of Welsh thrown in back before the Civil War. There was even the hint of Middle Eastern in the right proportion that points to the Shreve clan actually descending from a dark-skinned Syrian nicknamed "The Turk" in Elizabeth I's court. This fellow ended up becoming (drum roll) Sharif of Nottingham.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I recognized it was a DNA gathering scheme the very first time I heard about it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wifey and I did that. I’m 93% European and Scandinavian, 6% Italian and one percent Chinese.

Wifey is 94% European and 6% middle Eastern.

She gives me cshit about being Chinese. I give her hell about her kinfolk at the gas stations

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DNA gathering by the government has been going on long before the internet.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Wifey and I did that. I’m 93% European and Scandinavian, 6% Italian and one percent Chinese.

Wifey is 94% European and 6% middle Eastern.

She gives me cshit about being Chinese. I give her hell about her kinfolk at the gas stations

Lol, I thought you was a Texan Hanco.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

How about you?

Nope, even talked the wife out of it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Five years ago I paid a hundred bucks for 23andme.com

Very interesting, it matched up with family lore that I am primarily Welsh, Irish, and Scottish. Also some German and Danish.
I wouldn't be surprised if some youngster emailed me out of the blue and said "Hello, Daddy!" But that hasn't happened.

I was also delighted to see that I am 3 percent Neanderthal. I am the living cave man.

I didn't realize I had sold out my identity to Big Government, gee if I had known how bad it is I never would have done it. [SARCASM]
So far, after five years, nothing bad has happened.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Five years ago I paid a hundred bucks for 23andme.com

Very interesting, it matched up with family lore that I am primarily Welsh, Irish, and Scottish. Also some German and Danish.
I wouldn't be surprised if some youngster emailed me out of the blue and said "Hello, Daddy!" But that hasn't happened.

I was also delighted to see that I am 3 percent Neanderthal. I am the living cave man.

I didn't realize I had sold out my identity to Big Government, gee if I had known how bad it is I never would have done it. [SARCASM]
So far, after five years, nothing bad has happened.

Problem being Simon, is that it doesn't only affect you. The next few generations of your bloodline will be under scrutiny of insurance agencies, as will anyone related to you...and God only knows what .gov will think up for those following us.

Added, kind of makes one wonder whether organ harvesters are plugged in as well.

Last edited by JSTUART; 08/07/20.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

How about you?

Nope, even talked the wife out of it.

Han-chink smile

Answer to ? No - i'm not getting involved .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think DNA testing has some far reaching consequences, many of which have not been thought up yet. I was working in the seed industry when DNA testing was first developed. We used it to identify our germplasm and parents for hybrid seed production to see if someone was pirating our material.
I see no harm in it for recreational purposes but the results are retained and you have no control over how those results are used.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Given that all the DNA gathering places are owned and run by Jews, I have no doubt they are doing all kinds of devious schitt with it. They can't seem to help themselves.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Given that all the DNA gathering places are owned and run by Jews, I have no doubt they are doing all kinds of devious schitt with it. They can't seem to help themselves.

On the contrary, it appears they can.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Didn't really seriously consider sending mine in but was somewhat curious.

Now, no way.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why most people pay to give away their dna is beyond me. I can kinda see in cases of adoption or similar; but for the rest of us, it’s a gimmick. I already know my family tree from doing a little research. Welsh, French, German, Italian, Swiss, Dutch, and Irish; a heinz 57. I’m a direct descendent of Charlemagne, distantly related to 7 US Presidents, have an ancestor that came over on the Mayflower, etc. The info you get by doing your own family history is far superior to the dna analyst’s report. Besides, the idea that some company has my blueprint isn’t the least bit appealing; I trust them even less than the government.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Why most people pay to give away their dna is beyond me. I can kinda see in cases of adoption or similar; but for the rest of us, it’s a gimmick. I already know my family tree from doing a little research. Welsh, French, German, Italian, Swiss, Dutch, and Irish; a heinz 57. I’m a direct descendent of Charlemagne, distantly related to 7 US Presidents, have an ancestor that came over on the Mayflower, etc. The info you get by doing your own family history is far superior to the dna analyst’s report. Besides, the idea that some company has my blueprint isn’t the least bit appealing; I trust them even less than the government.

I have to say that you moniker is amusing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cops have caught some real psychos due to DNA testing. The Golden State Killer committed at least 13 murders and 50 rapes. And, he was a cop!

He didn't have his DNA run, but he had left lots of DNA at crime scenes.
And they got several partial matches, a cousin here, a niece there got their DNA run at ancestry.com or 23andme.com, and they were able to find a link and track this POS down and put him in jail.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.