Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.opb.org/article/2020/08/06/portland-oregon-protests-day-69-police-tear-gas/

The 69th consecutive night of large scale protests against police brutality and systemic racism ended in tear gas and arrests as the Portland Police Bureau declared a riot about an hour after demonstrations began.

Around 9 p.m. Wednesday, hundreds of people gathered outside the Portland Police East Precinct in what was promoted as a “direct action march.”

Protestors chanted “Black Lives Matter” and “No justice, no peace.” A small group of moms in yellow shirts linked arms outside the precinct. Danielle James, an activist who has been protesting since demonstrators gathered around the Multnomah County Justice Center on May 27, chanted with the moms, wearing a “Know your rights” shirt.

Some protesters used a hammer to try to break the doors of the East Precinct, but they were unable to breach the security doors. Others set a small garbage can on fire against the door, while a few others spray-painted security cameras.

Related: Portland vacuums tear gas residue from storm drains downtown

By 9:40 p.m. some people had tried to tear plywood off the building and damage windows.

Just before 10 p.m. Portland police declared a riot, about an hour after demonstrations started, and deployed tear gas to disperse protesters.

Portland police remain restricted in their use of tear gas by a federal temporary restraining order unless “lives or safety of the public or the police are at risk.” The agency has largely not used the gas for weeks, primarily because protests were either absent of police and peaceful in recent days, or because federal officers were doing a majority of the policing at protests. Federal officers were not under the same restrictions around using tear gas and used the crowd control weapon liberally during their policing actions.

Police stated they arrested several people, though details of those arrests were not immediately available Thursday morning. Several protesters received minor injuries during bullrushes, the police tactic that involves police officers sprinting toward protesters and physically pushing the crowd away.

Krista Swan, a mom in a helmet, said she “busted” her knee after police “linebacker-tackled” her to the ground.

“I am bleeding,” Swan said, “but it’s not a big deal. I’ve had babies.”

Portland police and Oregon State Police troopers dispersed protesters into East Portland neighborhoods. In one instance, officers bull-rushed for several blocks until protesters were deep in a residential area.

Carina Jung, a homeowner in the neighborhood, allowed protestors to gather on her lawn. “I was listening from my bed and I could hear the LRAD coming down the street, and I knew I had to offer shelter,” Jung said. She offered protesters water and use of her restroom and a kind of “base” where police couldn’t push them any farther.

“I believe in the cause so much, it’s the least I could do,” Jung said. Protesters chanted at police while they continued walking in formation down the street, unable to disperse the crowd from private property.

Portland police tweeted that they had “reason to believe” an explosive had been planted outside the East Precinct. Almost two hours later Police tweeted that they had recovered the device and it was not an explosive.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stayed in downtown Portland about 7 years ago and walked around quite a bit in the evening. It was a nice place at the time, parks, restaurants, and shops on clean streets with fancy streetlights.

It's a shame what it has become. Why do the residents with skin in the game put up with this bullchit? It's a mystery to me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nobody is showing even 1/4 of it.

The feds are using all types of schit on them. Including fire hoses.

It's an absolute siege and they're not going to let up until a bunch of them are sitting in jail.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Its a battle of the leaf blowers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

It's an absolute siege and they're not going to let up until a bunch of them are sitting in jail.

Where have they used fire hoses?

Last edited by Steve; 08/06/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bump. Where have they used fire hoses?

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
“When you commit arson with an accelerant in an attempt to burn down a building that is occupied by people who you have intentionally trapped inside, you are not demonstrating, you are attempting to commit murder," Wheeler said in a news conference with Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell.

More peaceful protests in Portland.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They need to upgrade the tear gas to VX.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave

You, you, you mean something's being done? All right.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.