Seafire-are you there?

richard

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fields
Seafire

How about Blue Dot loads for a 243 with 70-80 grain bullet and 30-06 with 100-125 grain bullets?

richard

Sorry, I missed this post Richard....

you are going to have to give me a little time.... the old computer crashed that had my data in it.. my computer tech buddy was able to remove and back up the harddrive on an external hard drive I have and I have a new computer coming from Dell... at that time we will reload the data from my old hard drive to the new computer's hard drive...

that isn't happening until the computer arrives which will be about the 16th of June here...

anyone else that has that info, can fell free to post it for Richard here, instead of having to wait out my 'technical problems'....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Originally Posted by Seafire
[quote=8675309]That is awesome. And thank you, it's a pleasure hangin' out with people that have the same interests and being a part of the information highway. I too am heading out tonight to group some of the 36 gr Varmint Grenades that I have loaded, but I may be out of the ball park we'll see. I have loaded 11,12,13,13.5,14 grain loads to start and will let you know how they pan out less chrony results of course!

TTYL

Pay attention to how well the 12, 13 and 14 grain loads group.. my guestimation is that way you were originally looking for would exist in about the 12.5 grain range...

the weather and a computer system crash at an account of mine due to a lightning strike this week, have kept me from being able to get out and test these loads...

I have been getting home at 1 and 2 AM this week...trying to get a system back up and running for a nursing facility...

It turns out that the 12 & 15 gr (i forgot to mention the 15 gr load in my previous post) loads grouped sub MOA @ 100 yards with most bullets holes touching. Great accuracy for what I was expecting considering it was a very windy day (10-15 MPH). I have found my load needless to say, but now I would like to know what this load chrony's. Thanks for your feedback Seafire! Blue dot rips it up as follows:
22-250 Remington
22" Barrel
1-14 Twist
36 Gr. Varmint Grenade
12 Gr. Blue Dot
CCI Large Rifle Primer
Federal Cartridge Case
Bullets rifle seated at 2.322 overall length
= SUB MOA!

"Someday, somehow, I will figure out a way to ditch work and spend more time in the outdoors"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use H 4895

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't you guys know Seafire is no longer with us...

it was a couple of years ago,

he had stopped and picked up a pound of Blue Dot and was sitting at a stop light in his car....

and his car just blew up....

all of these naythesayers, were saying that Blue Dot was just going to blow up.....

RIP Seafire.....

Alliant did send a 5 pound container to compensate the family for their loss, at no charge of course...

what a bunch of great guys...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

he had stopped and picked up a pound of Blue Dot and was sitting at a stop light in his car....

all of these naythesayers, were saying that Blue Dot was just going to blow up.....

RIP Seafire.....

Alliant did send a 5 pound container to compensate the family for their loss, at no charge of course...

Obvious over pressure. Did you have the windows rolled up ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Craigster

RIP Seafire.....

Obvious over pressure. Did you have the windows rolled up?

Good question, I bet he did..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not even hazmat charges? That's generous!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
J
Dear Seafire,

I posted a few days ago but this is exactly what I was researching. I'll concentrate on the N 120 gr BT, which is accurate in my R 788. It should serve my "porpoise" as an old retired guy returning to the PA woods. Much obliged.

Jack from Altoona PA

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is there some formula to go by to determine safe min/max with BD in reduced loads? I need to figure one out for my 9.3x62.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jsmvmd
Dear Seafire,

I posted a few days ago but this is exactly what I was researching. I'll concentrate on the N 120 gr BT, which is accurate in my R 788. It should serve my "porpoise" as an old retired guy returning to the PA woods. Much obliged.

Jack from Altoona PA

glad the old info in this thread helped ya out Jack...

follow the load technique so you don't double charge.. that would mess up your 788...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Is there some formula to go by to determine safe min/max with BD in reduced loads? I need to figure one out for my 9.3x62.

That is not hard to figure out... the cartridge is based off an 06 or 35 Whelen..
haven't worked with the Whelen, but have with the 338/06...

what bullet weights do you plan on shooting, and do you have an idea for the velocity you are looking for?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I plan to use 286's and 250s. Velocity isn't as important as building enough pressure to keep the shoulders properly formed, so anything from maybe 1400-1800 would likely be fine. I've been using trailboss to shoot cast 286s at 1350, but after a couple firings the shoulders go wacky with the lack of pressure. Thanks.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I like Blue Bot and I have used it for many years.

I was looking thru Quick Load and discovered BD might make a good 350Legend powder.

28g + was a top pressure loading netting 55K with my chosen 200g bullet. I started at 25.5g FIRST shot was so hot the case was swaged into the bolt head and took some doing to remove it. Primer fell Out and case had a noticeable ring where the case was above the bolt recession. Bolt lift was resistant but opened. Rifle is fine.

Once home I pulled every load and checked everything. All where loaded as they should and spot on for powder charges. Mow the one fired coulda been different but the charge was 70 ish precent fill, IIRC. So no bdl chg BUT SOMETHING HAPPENED!!!

I read that BD isnt advisable to load in 41 mag or Light 357 mag???? Maybe what ever causes that recommendation also applies to 350 Legend. Cast & powder coated lead bullet

Juat wanted to mention maybe someone has a answer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
I like Blue Bot and I have used it for many years.

I was looking thru Quick Load and discovered BD might make a good 350Legend powder.

28g + was a top pressure loading netting 55K with my chosen 200g bullet. I started at 25.5g FIRST shot was so hot the case was swaged into the bolt head and took some doing to remove it. Primer fell Out and case had a noticeable ring where the case was above the bolt recession. Bolt lift was resistant but opened. Rifle is fine.

Once home I pulled every load and checked everything. All where loaded as they should and spot on for powder charges. Mow the one fired coulda been different but the charge was 70 ish precent fill, IIRC. So no bdl chg BUT SOMETHING HAPPENED!!!

I read that BD isnt advisable to load in 41 mag or Light 357 mag???? Maybe what ever causes that recommendation also applies to 350 Legend. Cast & powder coated lead bullet

Juat wanted to mention maybe someone has a answer.

You started WAY TOO HOT. You can back Blue Dot off a long ways, all the way down to subsonic speeds. I suggest you start there. I'd have started at somewhere around 15 grains. You can always add more, but you can't add less after the rifle lets go. I'm not sure where the 28 grains comes from, but that seems like a case full under a 200gr bullet. I guess working up pistol powder loads for rifle cases really isn't for everyone.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/07/20.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.