Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This older man I know, about 77 now, has been deer hunting his whole life. He always goes to W. Virginia and Kentucky. He stopped going to PA. because according to him there are too many stupid people and azzholes now.

Anyway, this guy has been using the same Marlin 336 35 Rem all this time. Since the early 70's I'd say. He put a very low power scope on it some years ago, many years ago, because he has the same old eyes we all tend to get. The thing looks like it was dragged behind a truck, but it will still put 5 inside 2" at 100yrds.

He always shot Remington 200 grain. He says it's getting hard to find and expensive. He wants me to load for him. I figure a 200 grain Hornady RN, not sure what powder. Another thing is moving the adjustments on that scope that have been setting on that same spot for a decade and a half or more. Will they move, will they break, I don't know. I think it's an old Leupold, not sure.

He has been a still hunter all this time, and very successful at it. He says, "If you're sitting you are watching, not hunting." and, "If you can't kill it with a 30-30 or a 35 because it's too far, you're shooting not hunting."

Like I said, old, stubborn, set in his ways and opinions. No point of doing anything except just nod in agreement with him.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Remington has used IMR powders in their ammo nearly exclusively, if my understanding is correct. I'd pick an IMR powder and load some up for him using the Hornady or Sierra 200gr RN bullets. 3031 at 37.5 grains produces about 2100 according to Hodgdon's data, and the same data includes 38.5 grains of H4895 for the same roughly 2100fps. If I was in your shoes, that's where I'd start.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If the scope is a Leupold and pukes send it back. Better to find out now no?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike_S
If the scope is a Leupold and pukes send it back. Better to find out now no?

I would agree with this statement. Get some loaded and tested well before rifle season.

That way, if you get good groups but have to adjust the scope and it takes a $hit...there's time for leupold to help out in the warranty department.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The reason old people become stubborn IMO is because they see the world changing drastically and not for the better! It creates some pause concerning change and for good reason.

If I was loading for this old man I'd simply find a load to duplicate what he has been shooting and don't touch the damn scope unless you want to ruin it. Easy enough to find a load that will shoot to the same point of impact.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Armednfree

He has been a still hunter all this time, and very successful at it. He says, "If you're sitting you are watching, not hunting." and, "If you can't kill it with a 30-30 or a 35 because it's too far, you're shooting not hunting."

I like him.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
38.5grs H4895 200gr roundnose.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've been loading a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with 200 grain Hornady RN and 3031 for over 30 years. For an east Tennessee hog hunt I moved up to a 250 grain RN at about 1700 FPS that penetrated a big sow almost 2 feet diagonally from the neck to just ahead of the right ham and dropped her DRT. Nothing fancy- - - -just slow and deadly like Thor's hammer!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mart

I like him.

He would be MOST welcome in my deer camp, yes.

Regulate the load to the gun and scope settings. It's what we do with combination guns and isn't rocket science. Start with loads that closely duplicate the Remington factory loads. Chronograph the Remington loads. Their posted data isn't always close to what a given gun spits out. You can change both powder loads and bullet weight to get there.

You're a good friend.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on IMR 3031, I shoot a 200gr. Hornady RN in my .35 Whelen with that powder, great accuracy and bullet performance on game.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn! I just looked, and 35 Remington is out of stock everywhere. Who'd a thunk it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a wise old man.....and successful

Remember Curly's "Secret of Life" its so true

I've got much more respect for a guy like this that the "shooter" that kills animals a 500-600 yds, to me that really not fair chase

Last edited by AZmark; 08/07/20.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Damn! I just looked, and 35 Remington is out of stock everywhere. Who'd a thunk it?

It's such a poor seller that almost nobody stocks it, and the ammo makers just make a yearly small run. Try shooting a 22 Savage Hi-Power. crazy

Last edited by windridge; 08/07/20.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm guessing this old fart is probably good with hitting a pie plate at 25 yds, so probably no need to adjust the scope . . .

. . . . he's huntin', not shootin' in his own words. wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm guessing this old fart is probably good with hitting a pie plate at 25 yds, so probably no need to adjust the scope . . . smirk

Save your snark, little man. What an azzhole remark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GFY !!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He would be MOST welcome in my deer camp, yes.

Regulate the load to the gun and scope settings. It's what we do with combination guns and isn't rocket science. Start with loads that closely duplicate the Remington factory loads. Chronograph the Remington loads. Their posted data isn't always close to what a given gun spits out. You can change both powder loads abd bullet weight to get there.
———————————
Pretty much my suggestion. The factory load showed just under 2000fps in my Marlin. Should ne easy to duplicate.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by gregintenn

It's such a poor seller that almost nobody stocks it, and the ammo makers just make a yearly small run. Try shooting a 22 Savage Hi-Power. crazy

I have several guns chambered for uncommon rounds. I count the 35 Remington a VERY popular chambering. Maybe I need to catch up with the times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This older man I know, about 77 now, has been deer hunting his whole life.

Maybe he should try bowhunting

And learning to reload his own ammo, I mean what’s he been doing all this time?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old guys who, based on deep experience, very well know what they are doing - - - who are highly successful in what they have been doing - - - who have learned to not mess with success in chemical and mechanical processes - - - - who are amused, rather than infatuated, by the talk and fuss about the "latest and greatest" new stuff that might give a smidge better outcome than the good stuff they already can do - - - etc., etc, - - tend to be stubborn about what they know and what they like/want.

For some wise folks, it's a good tendency. If the desire is to be helpful for a stubborn old guy, do as he requests and try to not meddle.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.