Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm guessing this old fart is probably good with hitting a pie plate at 25 yds, so probably no need to adjust the scope . . . smirk

Save your snark, little man. What an azzhole remark.
I don't see anything snarky about that. The old guy could probably pick up any gun with any random load and kill deer with it as far out as he wants to shoot. And probably not that he needs even that. He can probably get close enough to deer to smell their farts.

To me that's skill.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell yeah

I bet the hardass doesnt even need a scope.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Most all of us are set in our ways. I like what I likes!!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I find the Sierra reloading manual and the "best recommended load" they suggest for both hunting and Target to be a completely acceptable recommendation every time I have tried.

Many of my best loads are exactly what Sierra recommends plus/minus 0.2 grain etc.

YMMV

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
You’ve gotten some good recommendations here. IMR 3031 and the 35 go together like peas & carrots. 4895 isn’t bad either. Don’t be surprised if the handloads outshoot factory. The 35 is pretty forgiving for the reloader. My guns usually preferred the Sierra 200 over the Hornady, but either is good for how he hunts.

Old70

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you have his rifle to test these loads?

I’d make sure his bore didn’t look like a copper mine before handing some reloads off to him, (based off of the way you described his scope).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He and I think much alike. I am not one that never shoots past 100 yards, but I like to shoot close. I like hunting!
I am a good long range shooter and I fire out to 1000 and even farther fairly often. I don't shoot game out there however. Could I hit them? Yes. (most times) But to me, it defeats the reason I hunt in the 1st place.
I can shoot to 500 yards and not leave my own land. I can shoot to 750 by going on my neighbors land, and I have his permission to do that. I can drive only 20 minutes and fire out to any range I wanted to (2400 yards, but I own nothing that could be useful that far out)

I can and I have made some very long shots to kill game when I was a younger man, but I grew a brain and decided to stop pressing my luck for NO reason at all. In 50+ years of hunting, in many states and in several countries I have NEVER ONCE felt a true need to fire a shot at ANY game animal past 500 yards. Honestly, in the last 20 years I have not even had a passing feeling that I should shoot past 600 but one time (which was last year at a bull elk, WHICH I MISSED because I have never done ANY practice with that rifle past 450,) and I had just finished it 2 months before the season. I knew better and I should have let the elk go. Thankfully I missed it clean and didn't wound it or the task of getting it out of there would have been bad. It was bad enough considering my wife had just killed her bull from the same heard and the dead elk was in one of those places you have nightmare about the pack-out.

But in the last 26 years of so I can recall killing about 8 head of big game out past 500. In that same time I have averaged 8 head a year I guess. Some more and some less. So 8 is a realistic average. That's 204 head. As you can see, shots past 500 are quite rare for me and shots past 800 are non-existent. Why? Because I can ALWAYS get closer then 800.

Some say "there was this time that bla bla bla---- and I HAD TO shoot at 900-1400 yards". Well I guess my understanding of "HAD TO" and theirs are different. I HAD TO shoot X far when it was a war. But in my past-time of hunting, starting when I was a kid and now going into my 57th year of hunting, I have never"HAD TO" shoot that far at ANY animal. Not in any state at any time or in any country or under any circumstance. NOT ONCE! Yes I have done it, but I am not going to try to justify those shots as necessary. I would say I was young ------------and that I have grown up more ---------------(mostly)
-------
I encourage shooters to learn to fire accurately at long range and I feel marksmanship skills at ranges from 2 yards to 1500 yards are worth the time and effort to lean proficiency in. But that skill is to fight wars with, and defend your country, town, county, family friend and allies with. Not to kill game with. Game animals deserve more respect then enemies. We don't care if a wounded enemy is hit in the guts or hips.

So I think I would truly like your old stubborn friend. He and I would enjoy hunting together because we both like to HUNT.

Last year I fired 10 rounds at game and I hit with 9 of them, and I killed 6 head of game. I missed with the only scoped rifle I used last year. ALL other kills were with rifle with iron sights and ALL other shots hit. One deer was hit once in the chest, one hit to the off-side leg (cutting the chest hair and breaking the leg), and one killer to the head. All other shots with my iron-sighted rifles were perfect hits and all others were one shot kills.

1 Antelope doe with a M99 Savage in 300 Savage at about 150 yards. Peep sight, one shot.

1 Antelope doe with my 6.5X54 Mannlicher at about 12 yards. Open sight, one shot.

1 Antelope Buck with my M95 Winchester in 270 at about 35-37 yards. Open sight one shot.

1 Buck Deer with my 8X57 at about 140 yards (usually scoped, but I had the scope off for the fun of hunting with the standing iron sight ) one shot.

2 Doe deer with my M81 Remington in 300 savage. Open sight. One shot on one and 3 on the next of which 3 were hits.

And one missed Bull Elk at about 640 with my new Mauser 9.3X62. I never fired a single round past 500 with that rifle and so I guessed the trajectory would be the same as my old 7.62 match load from my Marine Corps days. It was close to the same, but not close enough. That was with a 5X scope. Clean miss.

My miss on my Bull was 100% my fault for firing with a rifle I was not practiced with, at that range and I would not have fired if I had not been asked to my 2 friends and my wife, right after she killed her bull. Is that an excuse? No! 100% my fault. I should have just said no, and gone after some other bull. So now I can't say I have never missed an elk. Up to that shot I could. My perfect record on elk is now destroyed for violation my own "rule" and I claim 100% blame for it

Last edited by szihn; 08/07/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I find the Sierra reloading manual and the "best recommended load" they suggest for both hunting and Target to be a completely acceptable recommendation every time I have tried.

Many of my best loads are exactly what Sierra recommends plus/minus 0.2 grain etc.

YMMV

Damn good place to start.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only downside I can see is that if the old dude misses - then it will be the fault of that d****ed reloaded ammo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark
Sounds like a wise old man.....and successful

Remember Curly's "Secret of Life" its so true

I've got much more respect for a guy like this that the "shooter" that kills animals a 500-600 yds, to me that really not fair chase

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Damn! I just looked, and 35 Remington is out of stock everywhere. Who'd a thunk it?

Grafs.com has brass if that's what you're looking for.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Amazing how you ask for advice on this forum and it brings out the resident dikheads and their snide remarks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by drover
The only downside I can see is that if the old dude misses - then it will be the fault of that d****ed reloaded ammo.

drover

Exactly

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buy 3 boxes of hornady leverevolution. 35
Stick em in his old boxes.
He will never know the difference.
Tell him it is a modern accurate hard hitting hand load.
And you cant find Rem bullets..
Tell him you bought components for him.
On the house.......
Save you time and he will have a exc load.

Tell him to adjust his elevation as needed........

Too easy......

JMO.......

Last edited by renegade50; 08/07/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

He’s 77 and full of wisdom, you can’t outsmart an old guy that sneaks up on whitetails.

And besides you probably missed the part about not being able to find ammo for .35

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If all I shot was .35 Rem

I’d of made sure a LONG time back that I would always foreseeably have enough.

No other calibers to keep up with, a simpleton’s life?

Yeah, I’d never let myself get below 200 rounds ya know..,if’n I was so awesome at everything else.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree
This older man I know, about 77 now, has been deer hunting his whole life. He always goes to W. Virginia and Kentucky. He stopped going to PA. because according to him there are too many stupid people and azzholes now.

Anyway, this guy has been using the same Marlin 336 35 Rem all this time. Since the early 70's I'd say. He put a very low power scope on it some years ago, many years ago, because he has the same old eyes we all tend to get. The thing looks like it was dragged behind a truck, but it will still put 5 inside 2" at 100yrds.

He always shot Remington 200 grain. He says it's getting hard to find and expensive. He wants me to load for him. I figure a 200 grain Hornady RN, not sure what powder. Another thing is moving the adjustments on that scope that have been setting on that same spot for a decade and a half or more. Will they move, will they break, I don't know. I think it's an old Leupold, not sure.

He has been a still hunter all this time, and very successful at it. He says, "If you're sitting you are watching, not hunting." and, "If you can't kill it with a 30-30 or a 35 because it's too far, you're shooting not hunting."

Like I said, old, stubborn, set in his ways and opinions. No point of doing anything except just nod in agreement with him.

He probably also had a super high ASVAB score and was heavily recruited to join the service.

And turned down a West Point appointment.

And hasn't been to a Wal-Mart in 30 years.

By the way, anything that isn't working as the retarded old man remembers is not going to be his fault. But it will be yours.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Rem corelock is available on gunbroker on buy now option and other places.

Leverevolution also.

Just gotta go back several pages and look.

Gonna check out armslist .
Back in a few.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My old man was good to go minute of card board box everything he ever killed was less than 50 yds

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Rem corelock is available on gunbroker on buy now option and other places.

Leverevolution also.

Just gotta go back several pages and look.

Gonna check out armslist .
Back in a few.

give it up man

These cantankerous old types see those “pointed bullets” and you’ll get a raking for being a nincompoop.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (44mc, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 20 invisible), 1,367 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.