Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, for a good all around hunting rifle, what is your preference? Why do you like/prefer one over the other? I've had them both and I have my preference. Lets see what the consensus is. I'm not talking supergrades or pre-war models either. Just straight up, built after '52, std vs. fwt.. Go...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Featherweights for 06 and under. Standards for magnums.

I’ll muddy my preference a little more, I wanted a Hunters EDGE or Bridges on the Featherweight and a Legend on the Standards.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’ll muddy my preference a little more, I wanted a Hunters EDGE or Bridges on the Featherweight and a Legend on the Standards.

Ha ha.. I knew what you were going to say.. Yeah, that did muddy the water a little. I'd muddy it even further and say that I would not change a thing on my 7 pound 338. I'll try a Legend out some day though, but for now that PoundR works very well on that lightweight magnum... I'd also differ from your preference and run a standard fill hunters compact on a featheweight. BTDT and it works very well... I tried an edge, but did not like the resonance I got from it.. But since we are talking straight up original pre 64's, all that need not apply..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsahunter1917: I have used them both and in various calibers - I much prefer the mid/late 1950's vintage Standard Weight Rifles.
I have long since "retired" my uncustomized pre-64 Winchester Model 70's from Hunting duties just because I wish to retain their intrinsic values.
I just received notification that I was drawn for a Montana Antelope license and will be using my custom built pre-64 Model 70 actioned Rifle in 240 Weatherby Magnum on this Hunt.
The action was built on July 1, 1954.
It was a good old 30/06 Standard Weight Rifle before full customization.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bsahunter1917: I have used them both and in various calibers - I much prefer the mid/late 1950's vintage Standard Weight Rifles.
I have long since "retired" my uncustomized pre-64 Winchester Model 70's from Hunting duties just because I wish to retain their intrinsic values.
I just received notification that I was drawn for a Montana Antelope license and will be using my custom built pre-64 Model 70 actioned Rifle in 240 Weatherby Magnum on this Hunt.
The action was built on July 1, 1954.
It was a good old 30/06 Standard Weight Rifle before full customization.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Nothing wrong with that answer. Good luck on your hunt..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made in 1953 Featherweight .308 tuned to fit me - hunting rifle, not a collector or for show - been hunted HARD for many years and re-blued and wood refinished. Still a tack driver and game taker.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Shot last fall in Texas Panhandle Rita Blanca Grasslands. Only 230 yards.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I prefer long actions with standard, and short actions with featherweight barrels.

Enjoy shooting them all, but for the hunting I do I much prefer the SA Classic Featherweights.

Last edited by winchester70; 08/07/20.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fwts in standard cartridges (270 or 30-06) (monte carlo stock) and std rifles for the mags. Preference being the earlier monte carlo stocks with the bigger checkering panels.
For building from scratch I prefer the late 40s/early 50s actions, all else being equal and destined for a quality synthetic. For a true custom I'd prefer a cloverleaf tang action with the later safety, if it is going in a quality wood stock!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ha ha.. I knew what you were going to say.. Yeah, that did muddy the water a little. I'd muddy it even further and say that I would not change a thing on my 7 pound 338. I'll try a Legend out some day though, but for now that PoundR works very well on that lightweight magnum... I'd also differ from your preference and run a standard fill hunters compact on a featheweight. BTDT and it works very well... I tried an edge, but did not like the resonance I got from it.. But since we are talking straight up original pre 64's, all that need not apply..

Okay, since you’re holding my feet to the fire, same answer for cartridges to Fwt vs Standards, but I’ll take the Monte Carlo on either.

270 Win

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

338 Win

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifles B! You’ve got some good stuff stashed away 👍

I love my standards but I have a little more love for the fwt’s. I usually drop them in a McMillian Hunters Edge. They feel good in the hands and enuff meat in the barrel to make the forward weight right on the money.
Both weight rifles have been easy to load for and top notch accurate.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Beautiful rifles B! You’ve got some good stuff stashed away 👍

I love my standards but I have a little more love for the fwt’s. I usually drop them in a McMillian Hunters Edge. They feel good in the hands and enuff meat in the barrel to make the forward weight right on the money.
Both weight rifles have been easy to load for and top notch accurate.

That’s a danged fact. I’m becoming fairly fond of my 06 set up as you mentioned. Pretty easy shooting gun as well.

Last edited by beretzs; 08/07/20.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For Me standard weight and have no instrest in the Featherweight.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
featherweights for sure...my only pre 64 M70 non FWT is a custom 300 H&H/legend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This standard.270 wants to be a Bench gun. I mounted the scope and got it close at 100. The group on the left was factory Rem 130’s. The other two were hand loads. If I can lay a dime over three bullet holes I’m gonna call it good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Okay, since you’re holding my feet to the fire, same answer for cartridges to Fwt vs Standards, but I’ll take the Monte Carlo on either.

270 Win

338 Win

I sold the best 270 fwt I ever saw or held in my hands. Not a 270 guy I guess:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've also hunted the old 338 in factory form:

For packing all day long, the fwt's have their appeal to me. They can also be quite accurate, as you have seen with your rifles. Cool you got that 30-06 of yours shooting well. My old '56 shoots lights out as well and I keep it in its original stock. Glass bedded of course:
That's one rifle I'll never get rid of...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308

This standard.270 wants to be a Bench gun. I mounted the scope and got it close at 100. The group on the left was factory Rem 130’s. The other two were hand loads. If I can lay a dime over three bullet holes I’m gonna call it good.

Very nice shooter there. I love it when they shoot that well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Standard sporter weight.

I had a pre-64 (1953 mfg) 270 Win sporter. Sold it, as the stock had too much drop at comb.

I now own two BACO-USA sporters ( blued 30-06, and Extreme Weather 30-06). I used to own a BACO-USA 30-06 featherweight. Looked great. Beautiful schnabel ford end, just too light a barrel. I prefer a bit of muzzle hang.

I wish the current BACO sporter model had even a heavier barrel. The current BACO muzzle diameter is something like 0.56- 0.575" . The BACO sporter muzzle diameter is 0.625" . I wish it was about 0.68" .

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have and use them all.... This one is STD .270 with Stainless barrel. I would have a hard time not taking this one along more often than not.

[Linked Image from i938.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That s beauty Cliff. You have a lot of nice rifles to choose from...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Featherweight 30-06 is fond of venison too smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.