Print Thread
Hop To
#15118604 08/07/20
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Valsdad, I'm a huge Hockey fan and thought that Hockey was immune to the crap that was going on in professional sports. I didn't witness but I read where member of Dallas and Las Vegas Knelt for the national anthem this week.

I watched the Penguins as I am a fan and neither they nor the Canadien's knelt for the anthem but now that the Penns are out I am done with Hockey till the regular season starts next season.

I am curious as to what you have to say about this as I know you are a big hockey fan and up until now hockey has been immune to this bullshiet.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This was the first I heard of it happening in the NHL. Last Sunday at the restart of the season, actually post season games.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/matt-dumba-first-nhl-player-to-take-a-knee-during-national-anthem

I didn't watch it, but a relative was a bit pissed as apparently he wasn't kneeling during the Canadian Anthem. She said if this is not just "Anti-American," why didn't he kneel for the racist Canadian Anthem too? (They have never had any issues with their First Nation folks, eh?).

I've caught a few games since they started back up, seems the League is on the bandwagon judging by the banners over the end of ice unoccupied seats.

A few months back, just after The Corona stopped games, and after the neck kneeling fiasco, a couple of the black players came out and made some statements.

https://theathletic.com/1847691/202...sing-racism-we-need-strength-in-numbers/

You might not be able to read the whole article as it's behind a pay wall. I pay, because the regular "news" hardly covers HOCKEY at all.

Couple of other players have spoken out about it. Of course, this came out right after Floyd's death, before there was any real evidence about what happened.

Personal experience? I'm old enough to have watched games Willie O'Ree played (First black player in the NHL) , and actually skated with him in a pick up game or two well after he retired. I always wondered why there weren't more black players in the league over the years. Listening to many interviews over the past 50 years or so, it's not hard to see why a black kid would have a tough time making it all the way to the pros. Especially given that many (probably most) HOCKEY kids are not ghetto kids, they generally come from middle class families that can pay for eqpt and ice time, which ain't cheap. Black kids from those families are not the type that would take to being called "monkey" or "ni--gg--er" all the time in the dressing rooms. The guys who have made it to the big leagues have many stories to tell, they just pushed through it to get to their level of experience and were good enough to keep playing in Juniors and college so they could get seen by the scouts. (It was never a pleasure being called "WOP", Dago, greaseball etc when I was growing up, but that was a different time. I usually just called the a-hole a Heinie, Frog, or Beaner depending on who was calling me names)

To hear it told, at least 20, 15, even 10 years ago, that name calling crap still existed in the League. Probable still does at times. But, most of what I've seen and heard over the past decade or so leads me to believe it has mostly stopped. No doubt there are a few players that still are an issue, but I think even the "white' players in the room are about tired of it.

Since I began watching HOCKEY in the 60's, the NHL has gotten very diverse with kids from all over making it. Even a kid from Long Beach CA, Matt Nieto, a person of Mexican descent, made it to the league, not to mention First Nations and Native Americans, Asian kids, and of course, all of them Ruskies that didn't play in the NHL when I started watching the games.

My opinion, based on my experience. Of course, it's a political necessity that the NHL start with the banners in the buildings now. And a personal necessity of some players to try to get it to the forefront and out of the dressing rooms and the benches. But, does the whole team need to kneel???? Good question? If I was on a team and wanted to show support for a black teammate, I should be free to do so.

However, and this is a very big HOWEVER for me, I'd personally have to find a way to do it other than kneeling during an Anthem. Of any country. Especially the US of A. (China?? heck, I might just turn away from looking at their flag during any ceremony)

Kneel like they have been during the few English Premier League soccer games I've watched, right before the game starts. NHL could do the same at the faceoff circle before puck drop.............AFTER the Anthems have been played and respected..

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Holy schit.

Ima gonna have to take another crack at that post when I am sober.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Holy schit.

Maybe that's why Travis doesn't like my long posts?

They get blurry reading that many words?

Not to mention big ideas?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yep.

Small ideas for me only.....tonight anyway.

A fine spaghetti, Wild Turkey and now Warren Zevon radio on Pandora.

Small ideas.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of these days I'm going to have to learn the Pandora thing.

A Warren channel sounds cool.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Anyway....you reckon anyone called George Laroque the n word?

I cant imagine calling Suban a nagger.

Oh well....I am pretty far removed from everything.

I would have a hard time tolerating a team mate being called any sort of name.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Laroque could skate too.

They must have really hated him.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Them fellows you mentioned likely got that tough for a reason.

Like some Boy Named Sue.

I'm with you, team mates are teammates..................even if I'm not fond of them.

Tribalism rules (just ask the Joos?)

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Holy schit.

Hey wait a min...

Promise youre not “happy camper” ?

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well...I am sure naive out here.

I guess people keep their fugging mouth shut.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Holy schit.

Hey wait a min...

Oh Jeebus........that would be bad!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Big ideas

Happy camper is the Mr Haney of green acres

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy schit.

Hey wait a min...

Oh Jeebus........that would be bad!

Try as hard as I wanted, taking even more time out of my life to research some of the stuff he puts up, I don't think even brilliant old me could come up with that much in a day.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ukrainian bot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ukrainian bot

A different one from the one that was a PITA on that long CORONA thread a coupla months back?

We seem to have gotten off course too, this is a HOCKEY thread after all.

Couple of more posts and I get to see what's on the DVR for tonight's enjoyment.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So you typed a whole lot of stuff there to say that you're okay with the kneeling?

Suit yourself but Hockey is going to lose fans just like all the other major league sports. Me being one of them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
So you typed a whole lot of stuff there to say that you're okay with the kneeling?

Suit yourself but Hockey is going to lose fans just like all the other major league sports. Me being one of them.

If that's the message you got, so be it.

You asked what I had to say about it, you read this perhaps?

However, and this is a very big HOWEVER for me, I'd personally have to find a way to do it other than kneeling during an Anthem. Of any country. Especially the US of A.

Nope, I don't like it. Was hoping it wouldn't hit the NHL. But it has. Not nearly as bad as other sports, the whole team is not coming off the bench to kneel outside the boards..................yet.

As I mentioned, the League politically had to do the banner thing. Just like every store in our little town had to put up signs about wearing a mask, now that The Corona is here. Do I like it................no...........just a fact of life in today's world.

Will I watch HOCKEY still.............probably. But guess what...... I record all games I'm going to watch. I don't like commercials so I don't watch them. I was a strict follower of the guidelines I was taught, so much so my wife thought me a weirdo for standing in my lving room for the Anthem on games broadcast earlier that day. Now I can just start the game at the opening faceoff and not look at anything that doesn't agree with my political views.

If the players feel a need to do something to bring to the forefront something that has been bothering them for a long time, what do I have to say about it other than I see it as a major disrespect to our Flag and won't watch that.

As my relative said, and I agree, perhaps politics and sports don't mix. Why do they play the Anthem before games anyway? Tradition? Can't be jingoism if they have a game with a Canadian team as they play both Anthems then. What about the Euro and Russian players? How do they like it?

I think they should do away with the Flag deal before each game, after all, the concern the players work for is a commercial business. It's not like they are playing for a National team, is it?

You do what you want, I do what I want................FREEDOM, right? I'm just going to FF through the BS just like a commercial.

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.