Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR) argued that rival gun-rights group the National Rifle Association (NRA) does not advocate for the constitutional right to keep and bear arms in the U.S.

"The NRA is not the Second Amendment," NAGR President Dudley Brown told Newsweek. "In fact, they have been AWOL from the fight for decades."

Brown's comments come following New York Attorney General Letitia James' announcement that her office filed a lawsuit to dissolve the NRA, after a state investigation discovered that members of its senior leadership diverted millions of dollars from the organization's charitable mission into their own pockets.

While Brown thinks that the lawsuit is a "convenient" political persecution and said his organization doesn't take any delight in James' prosecution, the gun rights advocate said that exposing the corruption within the organization is important for its members

"Even if a quarter of the claims of fraud and abuse are real, gun owners should be furious," he said.

James' lawsuit alleges that $64 million were taken from the organization in the span of three years.

Brown is not only outraged by the alleged fraud of the NRA, but he is also frustrated by what he believes to be the false public mission of the organization.

He argues that the NRA is "not doing the bold work against infringement on the Second Amendment that they'd love everyone to believe."

Rather, he thinks the NRA asks its members to trust that the organization will advocate for their rights as gun owners when what they're really doing is playing "inside baseball."

"Somehow the NRA thinks their strategy is that if it's going to happen either way, we might as well be the one to write the law. I don't want to be the one who writes the gun control law. I want to defeat it," Brown said.

Dudley Brown
National Association for Gun Rights President Dudley Brown. In an interview with Newsweek, Brown said he doesn't think the National Rifle Association advocates for the Second Amendment.
NAGR
The NAGR, Brown's organization, has taken a more grassroots approach to advocating for gun rights. He said the group has made efforts that have not only oppose gun control, but also remove restrictions on Second Amendment rights.

Last year, the NAGR pushed for constitutional carry, the legal carrying of a handgun without a license, and successfully added South Dakota, Oklahoma and Kentucky to the list of 15 states that permit unrestricted carry.

He said that the NRA's strategy of going to Washington to talk to politicians about gun policy does nothing.

He suggests that lobbyists should be delivering Congress members hefty documents signed by individual Americans across the country to enact change—something he says the NAGR did last September against red flag laws, which allows for the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present danger to themselves or others.

Brown noted that President Donald Trump has also supported gun control laws, including red flag laws.

"We don't care if he's a Republican president or not," Brown said. "We oppose it when a Republican president supports gun control, and Donald Trump supported a lot of gun control."

However, Brown isn't fazed by the pending lawsuit from James' office. He said that even if the NRA were to be dissolved as a result of the suit, he doesn't think his Second Amendment rights will be infringed upon. In fact, he thinks it might even help his cause.

"I'm not wishing the attorney general luck in dissolving the NRA, but I don't think it would make any difference in terms of the battle on state legislators," he said. "In some cases, it would stop gun control from passing."

National Association for Gun Rights President Dudley Brown. Brown said his organization spends more money than the NRA defeating gun control legislation.
NAGR
In the case that James' suit is successful in dissolving the NRA as an organization, an important question remains: Who will replace the nation's largest pro-gun organization?

"The Second Amendment debate is going to always be present in the United States, with or without the NRA. I think the question is, what fills this vacuum? Because I sense this has done irreparable harm," David Chipman told Newsweek.

Chipman is a former special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who is now with Giffords, a gun violence prevention group that seeks to represent the views of moderate gun owners.

Brown said his organization has seen a "massive spike" in membership, which he said has been a direct result of the whistleblowing on the NRA's corrupt practices.

"You could almost time it by the NRA's publicly disclosed labels," he said.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe the NRA is on its deathbed, and it was Wayne LaPierre who killed it. The decision to "control the gun control" through compromise wounded the NRA severely, but it was greed and outrageous misuse of donated monies that was the mortal blow.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dudley Brown is another LaPew.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
An organization who's acronym would be something like NAGR, doesn't show a lot of forethought, and may alienate certain segments of our population.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
An organization who's acronym would be something like NAGR, doesn't show a lot of forethought, and may alienate certain segments of our population.

That was my first thought as well.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Verdicts and fines are used to raise funds when taxes aren't enough.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dudley Brown is not the answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What he said rings true.

However I don't think I know a thing about these Nagrs outside of this one article.

I have heard of GOA and had the privilege of having dinner and a good long conversation with the former president. His son seems like he's filling his dad's shoes, but I don't know his stance on all issues like Larry.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Verdicts and fines are used to raise funds when taxes aren't enough.
Between the fines, William Brewers legal fees, Wayne LaPierre's extravagance, and the awakening of hundreds of thousands of former donors the poor old NRA is left rather naked and destitute. Good riddance.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Dudley Brown is a wannabe and his organization has never impressed me in the least, but I think he's pretty much on the money in his assessment.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I believe the NRA is on its deathbed, and it was Wayne LaPierre who killed it. The decision to "control the gun control" through compromise wounded the NRA severely, but it was greed and outrageous misuse of donated monies that was the mortal blow.

Agreed.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Dudley Brown- talks big, delivers little. He accomplished more for the antis while in Colorado than anyone else I can think of!

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I never heard of NAGR until this thread.

The NRA will survive. WLP will leave. A bunch of others will too and there will be reforms. A similar thing happened in 1977 when the NRA decided to stop fighting gun control and concentrate instead on Olympic sports. The Cincinnati Reforms kicked out the management. I wish I knew how to do that now.

Don't expect WLP to leave without a large severance package. That's how they do things, not just the NRA.

In the meantime, please take the money you would otherwise give to the NRA and give it to the Trump campaign.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
The NAGR web page says they have 4,500,000 members.

I don't believe that.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pepe LePew's "severance package" needs to arrive at about 2800 FPS. Then his Golden Parachute needs to deliver his casket to the gravesite from about 10K feet- - - - -with any luck, it will be a streamer!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.