-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody know how to fix or replace the on/off switch on one?

Darn thing quit working this morning and I've only had it since the mid-90's. You'd think stuff would be more reliable than that. [/sar]

But seriously, I turned it on this morning to melt the alloy left in it and it worked fine. Had to turn it off briefly and when I tried to turn it back on, nada. I flipped the switch back and forth several times, tapped the cover plate around it and the little red light finally flickered for a second and went out again for good. I can't see any way that thing is user serviceable. The green metal cover is riveted in place and the switch plate is just stuck into/onto the side plate. Might just try to pry that switch off and see what's going on, if it's broken for good I won't hurt it any worse and if it's just a loose connection maybe I can fix it. Don't care what the repair looks like, just need it to work.

In other news, if it's irrevocably dead, anybody have any good recommendations for a replacement? I know of the usual suspects - Lyman, RCBS and LEE, but don't know what source country or quality might have changed in the last 25 years.

Really looking at that Lee Magnum 20 pound pot, don't want or need a bottom spout. The RCBS and Lyman units have neato digital temp readouts on the sides but I'm thinking that's just another thing that can break or stop working. As long as the furnace melts fairly quickly and holds the temp well that's all I need. Would get a lead thermometer to determine temp, the current defunct Pro Melt, (RIP my old friend), would hold a stable temp very well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
you might call RCBS. I have had the same Pro Melt since 1980. They have reworked it twice over the years at no cost other than shipping it to them.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's what I'll end up doing, it just needs a new switch and the way it's attached it would have to be destroyed to get it loose (as far as I can see). They used to have excellent customer service and I haven't heard anything different lately.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drill out the pop rivets and have RCBS send you a new switch (free). Replace pop rivets, done. Cheaper and faster than shipping it to RCBS.
If you don't have a pop rivet tool just replace the rivets with short sheet metal screws.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wired mine direct when the switch bailed. Just plug it in and tune the thermostat.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Any recommendations to keep the old pot going is recommended.

The new RCBS pots are not to be found, incorporate chink "improvements" and command the typical half assed ratings.

My primary pot is like yours; my old Lyman has been re-gutted once.

Id go Magma if I didnt have to re wire the shop.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah semi seriously looking for a new pot in my mold upgrade project I’ve been working on the last month or two. Nothing on the market from Lyman, RCBS, or Lee gets good reviews if you do much digging. I don’t know if I want to spend Magma money, I’m comfortable an happy as a ladle caster. Just not much out there that seems worth a schit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kid, last time I had a pot problem was with a pro melt the switch bailed and wired it direct. The last time I bought a pot was a 20lb Lee dipper (ladle) pot use it with a pid controller and use it only for casting lead/tin alloys for paper patch bullets for bpcr habit. The Lee is very inexpensive for what you get in service for what you pay. Best of luck. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a 20lb Lee dipper pot on the way since I found one on sale. I’ve been casting for over a decade with a ladle and a 4lb Lee pot and doing okay so this will probably be a big upgrade. I used a buddy’s Lyman bottom pour for a couple years and had a much higher cull rate than I do with the ladle so I reverted back.

I cast for right at an hour yesterday with my little pot and 2 hole RCBS mold and made right at 175 good bullets with 3 culls. Had to stop and refill the pot 3 times though which throws a kink in things.

Maybe someday I’ll find a bargain on a Waage or Magma.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know how good Magma is on warrantee issues but I know some guys pretty damn unhappy with waage warrantee. One of the said f**k it and bought 2 20 lb ladle Lee pots for about 1/3 of the going rate of a Waage. I can get damn good pours from my projects up to 250-260gr swc pistol bullets but big bpcr bullets all need the ladle pour for quality. MB

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.