Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
65's were available on Gunbroker a couple of days ago, watch that shipping though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the 63 grain Sierra and the 70 grain Speer. My apologies for the confusion.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I shot a couple deer with the 65's. They aren't special enough to spend much time searching for.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I shot a couple deer with the 65's. They aren't special enough to spend much time searching for.

Suppose they worked about like any bullet from any cartridge as long as placed correctly?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/11/20.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Specifics, please

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Suppose they worked about like any bullet from any cartridge as long as placed correctly?
Didn't see where they were a bit better than a 55 gr. Hornady sp. and maybe not as good. The first deer I shot was a big doe. Broadside maybe 125 yards. Hit a rib going in and had three small exit wounds on the far side. Bullet apparently broke up. The thing that I can't explain is there was considerably LESS damage to the lungs than I'm used to seeing with the Hornady's despite the fact that it apparently broke up. I have put one of the Hornady's through both shoulders of a similar sized deer from 80 yards and found the bullet nicely mushroomed and in one piece just under the hide of the off shoulder.Color me not terribly impressed with the Sierra. The Horny's are half the price and work at least as well on deer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Didn't see where they were a bit better than a 55 gr. Hornady sp. and maybe not as good. The first deer I shot was a big doe. Broadside maybe 125 yards. Hit a rib going in and had three small exit wounds on the far side. Bullet apparently broke up. The thing that I can't explain is there was considerably LESS damage to the lungs than I'm used to seeing with the Hornady's despite the fact that it apparently broke up. I have put one of the Hornady's through both shoulders of a similar sized deer from 80 yards and found the bullet nicely mushroomed and in one piece just under the hide of the off shoulder.Color me not terribly impressed with the Sierra. The Horny's are half the price and work at least as well on deer.

Possible difference in velocity.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Possible difference in velocity.
I had the Sierra's loaded to just over 3000 fps and the Hornady's to 3200. There's not much difference in accuracy between them in my rifle. Both bullets/loads group under .75" at 100 yards. The Sierra's do have a better BC so will retain velocity a bit better and be less wind sensitive but I wouldn't shoot deer with either at distances where it would make any difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Blackheart: Looking on Hornady's website, I see quite a few 55gr 22cal bullets. Which one are you using, thanks,

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

Blackheart: Looking on Hornady's website, I see quite a few 55gr 22cal bullets. Which one are you using, thanks,
The standard 55 gr. SP with cannelure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before the 65 gr GK was available, I shot a few deer and pigs with the 63 gr Sierra SMP. It worked real well. Then, when the 65 gr GK came out, I bought a bunch and used them on pigs mostly. Both are very accurate, but the 63 gr is a stubby bullet and would stabilize in my 14 twist 220 Swift barrel. The 65 gr GK won’t even come close to stabilizing in my 220, so it gets used in the 9 twist 223.

A fellow I know and respect says that the 223 bullet you really want to use in your 223 is the 64 gr Nosler Bonded Solid Base. Says he gets exits on pigs. I don’t get that with either Sierra bullet. I think Nosler quit making that bullet, unfortunately. So, the 70 gr Accubond is probably the next best thing. For now though, I’ll stay with the 65 gr GK.

The 65 gr GK is a very accurate bullet. I called Sierra and was told to use the load date for the 63 gr SMP because they have the same bearing surface.

Among the best bullets for deer and pigs in the 223 would be the 60 gr Partition. I’ve used it on some pigs, with good results, and I’d use it more if it was more accurate in my rifle. I still have not found the magic load for that Partition.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 603Country
Before the 65 gr GK was available, I shot a few deer and pigs with the 63 gr Sierra SMP. It worked real well. Then, when the 65 gr GK came out, I bought a bunch and used them on pigs mostly. Both are very accurate, but the 63 gr is a stubby bullet and would stabilize in my 14 twist 220 Swift barrel. The 65 gr GK won’t even come close to stabilizing in my 220, so it gets used in the 9 twist 223.

A fellow I know and respect says that the 223 bullet you really want to use in your 223 is the 64 gr Nosler Bonded Solid Base. Says he gets exits on pigs. I don’t get that with either Sierra bullet. I think Nosler quit making that bullet, unfortunately. So, the 70 gr Accubond is probably the next best thing. For now though, I’ll stay with the 65 gr GK.

The 65 gr GK is a very accurate bullet. I called Sierra and was told to use the load date for the 63 gr SMP because they have the same bearing surface.

Among the best bullets for deer and pigs in the 223 would be the 60 gr Partition. I’ve used it on some pigs, with good results, and I’d use it more if it was more accurate in my rifle. I still have not found the magic load for that Partition.

I had no idea Nosler was discontinuing the Bonded Solid Base line. I have never tried them, but I liked having the option. Kind of a bummer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tried many of the Nosler 64 Bonded in several rifles with twist rates varying from 1 in 7" to 1 in 14". I used only two powders, TAC and H4895. The most accurate loads would have been adequate for hunting - around 1.5". I gave up on this one and went back to the Sierra 65 GK.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Has anyone tried the Winchester Power Point 64 grain bullet?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lotech
I tried many of the Nosler 64 Bonded in several rifles with twist rates varying from 1 in 7" to 1 in 14". I used only two powders, TAC and H4895. The most accurate loads would have been adequate for hunting - around 1.5". I gave up on this one and went back to the Sierra 65 GK.

I have no used the Sierra 65 GK but I had exactly your luck with the 64 BSB from Nosler....gave them up pretty quick. Shot a couple deer with them and if anything, I can say the damage was excessive.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought 3 or 4 hundred of the 65's a while back. First few boxes were fine and shot pretty well. The rest seem to have the ogive everywhere! 10 to 15 thousands difference in COL. Thought something was wrong with my die setup so I tried some Nosler 55 bt's and every single one came in at 2 to 3 thousand for COL! Found some of the 64 bonded and got a few hundred to try. First attempt with em got me 1 to 1 1/4" groups. Pretty sure they can do a lot better. If their discontinued maybe I should grab the rest. I was planning to use em defending myself from the Antifa hoard when they come my way!! lol

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I've read reports where some got good accuracy with the 64 Power Points. I tried them in four bolt-action rifles in .223 and .22-250 with twist rates varying from 1 in 9" to 1 in 14". They would be accurate enough for some hunting, but I got groups of from 1.6" in a 1 in 9" CZ .223 to over 2" in a Lilja-barreled FN Mauser with a 1 in 14" twist. I don't recall if I ever tried these bullets in my Colt ARs which all have 1 in 7" barrels.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Iotech. I have some but haven't loaded them up yet. Thought I would try them in varying twist rate rifles and see if there's any difference.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Yeah, they were accurate enough for deer sized game at 200 yds and under...

If they were free, and the 63 SMP Sierra or the 60 grain Sierra HP cost me money, I'd still use these two Sierras....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
442 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.