Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago I had a Rocket Steelhead bounce off of the shoulder of a very respectable 6 point that was piebald. The shot was close to last light and I was confident I'd find it in the morning.

All I found was my arrow the next morning and the rubber band was only pushed up the shaft about 1/2 inch. I was sick.

I shoot G-5 Montecs now

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have had good performance from Spitfire mechanicals on broadside and quartering shots.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Have had good performance from Spitfire mechanicals on broadside and quartering shots.

On Florida deer?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A heavy arrow, 550 grains or more and a two blade sharp coc, would have not glanced off of the buck. Ive shot a lot of bucks and does steep quartering away with recurves and long bows. Maybe pushing 180 fps if I was lucky.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ribka
A heavy arrow, 550 grains or more and a two blade sharp coc, would have not glanced off of the buck. Ive shot a lot of bucks and does steep quartering away with recurves and long bows. Maybe pushing 180 fps if I was lucky.

That's pretty much exactly what I shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zwickey Eskimo!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Looks like he's got a fixed blade head on that arrow to me.. Doesn't look like it "bounced off" to me either. More like it deflected/skidded along the ribs and left a long gash. Back when I bow hunted I used mechanical heads with no issues. Was shooting a Browning Boss Mantis @ 30" and 70 lbs. and had pass throughs and quick kills with 125 gr. Rocket steelheads every time.

He uses T3 Mechanical from G5. 3 exposed blades that have a cam system that opens on contact.

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I see. I haven't kept up on things archery since I quit bow hunting 20 years ago. Couldn't get a good look at his head on this screen but it looked big with a lot of exposed blade for a mechanical. Still didn't "bounce off" like he said but rather deflected/skidded along the ribs.

Exactly how I see it too. I don't see this as a broadhead issue, honestly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hows it on sharks?

Or woofs?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jag is hell on bofe, I hear! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

When the mechanical broad heads work they are a bit of a marvel.....but, failures are inevitable! A “fixed” broad head (Muzzy) can’t fail......only the archer! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Many years ago I had a Rocket Steelhead bounce off of the shoulder of a very respectable 6 point that was piebald. The shot was close to last light and I was confident I'd find it in the morning.

All I found was my arrow the next morning and the rubber band was only pushed up the shaft about 1/2 inch. I was sick.

I shoot G-5 Montecs now
Well you shouldn't have shot him in the shoulder. A steelhead from the last deer I shot with my 70 lb. Boss Mantis is still buried in a tree that was on the far side of the deer. I found the steelhead tipped arrow that went through the deer before that 50 yards behind where it had been standing when I shot it from a makeshift ground blind. I don't think going through the deer slowed it down that much.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Five years ago I shot a nice bull and when the guide (the outfitter) and I walked up to him we found that on his right side, there was an spot about 10” long that looked like the hair had been cut with scissors. At the forward end of that sliced hair was a shallow 1 1/2 - 2” wound about 1/4” - 1/2” deep. ???

When we got back to the cabin we were talking about it with some of the other guides and hunters and the outfitter’s son asked if the wound on the bull was on the right side and if he had really big “thirds”?

Turns out that the hunter that was guided by the outfitter’s son had hit a bull the week before during archery season on the right side with a mechanical broadhead. It started opening when it made contact with hair and, according to the outfitter’s son looked like it just bounced off.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Magnus Stingers have worked the best for me. Only problem is the aluminum ferrrel can get bent.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
A "Booner"....that was the problem. He used the wrong weapon. Someone should have told him that "Booners" are only killed with firearms.

Incorrect.

I'll let you argue with the voices in your head about it, man, or you can go down to the local barbershop with a razor and split some hairs. Either way, I don't give a fuuck.

Having different opinions is one thing, but posting wrong info and not owning it is BS.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I shoot muzzy fixed 3 blades indexed to the fletchings on the arrow. That would never happen with my set up

You got that right.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I shot muzzy's about 30 years ago too. That angle along the ribs can cause some broadhead to skip along the ribs. I hit a 9 point whitetail at 68 yards at that angle. It was the first time I'd shot a slick trick 4 blade 100g and it penetrated clear through to the opposite shoulder. Buck ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Bb

Truth.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I haven’t been to a barber shop in 8 mos

Selfie time!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by victoro
Slick Tricks are much better that Muzzy (I've used both). They have bigger thinker blades that won't bend and they can be resharpened.

GFY. wink

Ok. I admit, I would use them too, but i can find six packs of the old 90 grain 4 blace muzzies on E Bay for like cheap. The last 13point buck and belligerent bear that i dealt with made it about 18 steps.
Brothers last 2 bull elk, a 7x5 and 6x6 didnt fair much better.

He got me on them them and they may have saved my life with the upset bear that came for me.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/08/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.