Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey guys - one question if I may? I'm new to in-line M/L rifles, NOT the old original style percussion cap & flintlock. If you remove the 209 primer at the end of the day to make it safe, WHAT do you replace it with until the next day hunting?

I know something has to be put over the breech plug area w/ the hole for the 209 primer. What is used to keep the powder from getting moisture overnight? The hole HAS to be covered, does it not?

Years ago for a reg. percussion cap M/L rifle, I would just put a piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Always worked before, but I don't have room for anything like that now w/ the modern in-line system.

Any thoughts or answers would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
Brittman

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How about a spent primer?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have some little plastic caps, originally for protecting the ends of fiber-optic cables. The small ones work well, on caplocks too.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Brittman
Hey guys - one question if I may? I'm new to in-line M/L rifles, NOT the old original style percussion cap & flintlock. If you remove the 209 primer at the end of the day to make it safe, WHAT do you replace it with until the next day hunting?

I know something has to be put over the breech plug area w/ the hole for the 209 primer. What is used to keep the powder from getting moisture overnight? The hole HAS to be covered, does it not?

Years ago for a reg. percussion cap M/L rifle, I would just put a piece of leather over the nipple and let the hammer down on it. Always worked before, but I don't have room for anything like that now w/ the modern in-line system.

Any thoughts or answers would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
Brittman

I never have worried about it and Ive not had any issues with moisture. I think we sometimes overthink these type things.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Highoctane I never have worried about it and Ive not had any issues with moisture. I think we sometimes overthink these type things.
[/quote]
Same here. My inline either goes in the scabbard in the tent or in the stock trailer and during the day when I am riding to and from, it is in the scabbard unprimed with no problems to date. I have rode in some pretty nasty rain storms with just the pauncho draped over the scabbard and it fired when I needed it too

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Normally I use an old ear plug, cut off a section and place that over the nipple and either lower the hammer or close the action on to it, depending what rifle i am using.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you guys! I appreciate your feedback on my question. As of right now, I think I will use 'smokepoles' suggestion of a spent primer - to fill in the primer hole.

When I would use my old percussion GRRW Hawken, I would normally place a piece of leather over the nipple overnight and was good to go the next morning.

Thanks again for your comments and taking the time to answer my question. Maybe I was concerned more than I should have been..?

Best of luck to you all in the field this coming fall season!

Brittman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.