Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure about your purchase motivations so am reading between lines.

Suggest sticking with 5.56 for first purchase. Sadly, not everything new works reliably, and/or with all available ammo. IMO, it ought to do both.

Get a chrome-lined or nitrocarburized (melonite) barrel. One of my chromed Colt 11.5" barrels has over 18k rounds on it, near all full auto, and was always run near melt the handguards hard. It will still put 5 M855 rounds inside 4-5" at 100 yds using irons. My borescope reveals ugliness, but it still works perfectly.

1:7 to 1:9 will work with most stuff. 1:7 is nice if you want to use M856.

All my stuff is Colt, but am long in tooth. A 6920, recently become unobtainium, works with about anything. Today, looking for new + available in 5.56 for reasonable would get a S&W M&P2. Some of those mentioned are fine. At the low end of the price range the Palmetto State guns are usually good.

Other end of price range would get a Daniel Defense, LMT, and that FN. Some others.

For magazines stick with USGI. Okay industries makes Colt's mags. They are a notch better than the D&H mags, which have been a notch better than C products. As for the plastics, unless dropping from airplanes or running over with tanks you can keep them.

Get some spare parts. Hammer spring, extractor for sure. Maybe a spare complete bolt (minus carrier).

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Colt. The original manufacturer. And Colts always hold their value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best is subjective, there are several of equal quality. That said, if I were buying now and wanted a good gun for a good price it would be a BCM.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Go Wilson Combat or go home

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a handful of ARs and my AR snob friend tells me the only one that is ok is the old Colt.

He likes Daniel Defense.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defence, FN, LMT. If they are too rich for you, S&W, Springfield Saint, SIG and a few others. Everyone has their own preferences. If you think you're going to like it, don't buy "entry level". You'll end up spending way more to upgrade it than if you had just bought the better gun in the first place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots to choose from. I have had a 16" LaRue Tactical PredatAR for several years, it shoots great and is reliable. I also have a 16' Diamond Back I changed a bit and it sees truck duty more then the LaRue. The LaRue out shoots it, but for civilian defense use the Diamond Back would suffice. Just depends on what one expects from their AR. I expect good combat accuracy and the weapon must go bang every time I press the trigger, just has to. I also expect it to fire 500 hundred rounds with out cleaning and still be reliable.

Get on You Tube and see what Benghazi warrior, Kris "Tanto" Paronto has to say in the video about his "Frankenstein AR", I think it is a older Bushmaster. He speaks from experience and years of use.

Which ever one you get feed it good ammo fro reliable magazines. You can't have to many good 30 round magazines. Get a 30 pack from Brownell's, at least one 30 pack......

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
We just bought a couple of Sig model400 treads - Wifey opted for the
pistol (11") barrel - I got the rifle (16") . We have red dot sights on order.
5.56/223 - Have a lot of brass, once fired in my mod 700 varmint, and
1000 more on backorder at Starline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice thing is you can upgrade anything but a poorly made lower.
If you are competent with tools you could buy an 80-90%lower and then pick your components starting with a good trigger group.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am far from an AR expert but here goes: I had a Colt M-16 bolt carrier shatter and render my rifle useless in RVN. Ran 2 GM Hydromatic Division M-16s after that with ne’er a stoppage. I currently have a Bushmaster Dissipator heavy barrel, DPMS Panther, and a Palmetto State Armory lower with a Bushmaster shortie upper. Never had a malfunction with any. I have an eclectic mix of mags from 5 to 40. Colt 20’s are my favorite. I wouldn’t mind getting my skinners on an old Powerglide just because. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
RRA-they are not cobbled together using after market parts.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 2 Rock River's with SS barrels and couldn't be happier. With the right factory ammo in each, they shoot 1/2 MOA all day long.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Colt. Had several I've owned, and several more issued, including a couple in combat. Never a problem.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 08/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a grand total of two AR’s . Both were set up for shooting prairie dogs. The first had a military chamber the second straight 223. The one I have now is DPMS. After market triggers are a must, IMHO.
I have had no issues or problems other than when I built the first one from parts and had no instructions or diagrams.
I find that a very useful attachment is a brass catcher. Without that I would not own an AR or at least shoot an AR very much because I hate chasing brass.
Putting a low trigger pull trigger and a heavy match barrel makes an AR a quite accurate rifle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are a lot of good AR's out there. I've had good luck with Colt, BCM, Rock River and Daniel Defense. Some people think all mil spec parts are important, and if you plan to use the rifle hard that might be true. For most usage it's probably not critical. I'd say it's important is to think about how you plan to use the rifle before you purchase one. That way you'll get something configured appropriately for your use.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I recently purchased a Del Ton Echo 316M and am very impressed by it. Quality parts and ifle.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LaRue Tactical, Daniel Defense, first two choices for me. Not far behind is Noveske & BCM.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming this is the op’s first AR, which is good, American, all that.

Suggest (availability may well be the challenge) a psa on the less expensive end, or a FN or Colt on the more expensive end. Variant nuanced by “purpose”, but as a starting point, don’t think it matters much.

Then, after some time/use, having collected your list of “wishes”, might look at the jp’s, bcm, noveske, etc, etc, “bests.” And only then. Because they’re most all excellent outside one’s brand loyalty or experience at that point, if top dollar, and to grt value for that dollar you have to know what nuances you want personally, there being no “best” in that regard.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would make sure to get (a) a free floating front handguard, so a tight sling position does not affect POI, and (b) a fairly tight twist, 1:7 or 1:7.7. That way you can shoot 77 grain bullets accurately and it won't compromise accuracy with 55 grain bullets.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Meanwhile, on the other end of the scale, I bought an PSA AR15 pistol with a red dot sight at the St. George gun show a year ago for $450. Put around a 1000 rounds through it, mostly young men in the family burning up 30 round mags. Have yet to clean it (my bad). Marine son said to keep it wet.

Old guy, old guns.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,723
Posts18,457,285
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.