Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I know matte is the current darling but just where in the hell are all the damn gloss scopes? Us blue steel and wood guys like them

Last edited by pacecars; 07/30/20.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I have about 20 Leupold M8’s, they’re all I use. Classic scopes that to my eye look just as good on Montana’s and M700 Ti’s as they do on pre-64 M70’s.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I'm with you guys. I wish gloss scopes were still made. I have a number of 1980s vintage Leupold, Redfield and Burris scopes that are all gloss finish. 4x, 2-7x and 3-9x. But then, all my rifles are wood stocked and blued steel.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just mounted an M8 6x on a Mauser, and after chasing POI around for a while, I'd had about all the nostalgia I wanted for a while. The Burris is going back on that one, I think.

Bought the 6, and a 4 to mount on an old custom, where one will stay to look all pretty and period-correct, but for day-to-day use, I'll take something that points where I tell it, and when.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have never had a problem with M8s in 4X or 6x not holding zero

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hmmmmm. I have a gloss scope, waiting for paint.

Glossy scopes with thin tubes are a thing of the past for me,

Carry-on

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don’t chase the POI around with ANY of my M8 scopes. There solid, rugged & reliable! I’ll keep’em over variables anyday.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the side-effects of capitalism--supply and demand--is that while gloss scopes were more the rule than the exception over 20 years ago (as we were really shiny stocks and metal on hunting rifles. Thus a LOT of gloss scopes were made, and probably 85-90% are still around.

Which is exactly why anybody who really wants a gloss scope today should check the Campfire Classifieds, where a lot of gloss scopes show up, often for pretty "affordable" prices.

This is the same basic reason that Savage investigated the possibility of reintroducing their Model 99 20+ years ago and decided against it. There were already over 2 million used 99s on the market, priced far lower than Savage could make new ones.

Which is why at some point, manufacturers start competing against themselves when "introducing" retro products, whether gloss scopes of Savage 99s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tommy and Dick Smothers explain supply and demand.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Damn she's hawt! I like retro now!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I understand supply and demand and that they are not commercially successful anymore but I am having a hard time finding them on the used market right now too

Last edited by pacecars; 07/31/20.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I know what you're going through, looked long and hard for a clean gloss 2-7 leupold to put on a 1969 year model all Belgian BAR 338 WM, found a nice 1.75-5 gloss Burris, it's a perfect match for a 300 yard hunting rifle.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Call the Leupold custom shop if you want a gloss scope. That was the word from the factory rep I spoke with a while ago. Almost all rifles manufactured now and they have matte finish thus maybe the reason for matte finish scopes. I'm sure the matte finish is cheaper .

Ken

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bushnell scopechiefs abound on eBay. Glossy and crystal clear. I’d stay away from the iv v and vi models tho

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
I know what you're going through, looked long and hard for a clean gloss 2-7 leupold to put on a 1969 year model all Belgian BAR 338 WM, found a nice 1.75-5 gloss Burris, it's a perfect match for a 300 yard hunting rifle.

Sometimes I'll buy a rifle for $500.00 because it has a gloss leupold on it, knowing I can turn around and sell the scope for almost what I paid for the whole rifle/scope combo. Ha ha..

Speaking of a Leupold 2-7, one of my buddies used one on his model 71 until it puked. He probably still has it in his junk scope drawer. I like gloss scopes too, but have given away many m8's that have came on pre 64's I've bought over the years. Seems everyone here locally think those are better than sliced bread on their pre 64 model 70's. I even bought a CZ550 9.3x62mm that had one on top. Gave that away to a buddy of mine. Sold some for $50.00 at a flea market too. The retro scopes I like are the old steel tubed weavers. Last year a gave my good buddy an old sporterized p14 and put a steel tube weaver on it for him.

One of my favorite/go to hunting rifles wears a gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Try finding one of those. Its not going to happen:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Sometimes I'll buy a rifle for $500.00 because it has a gloss leupold on it, knowing I can turn around and sell the scope for almost what I paid for the whole rifle/scope combo. Ha ha..

Speaking of a Leupold 2-7, one of my buddies used one on his model 71 until it puked. He probably still has it in his junk scope drawer. I like gloss scopes too, but have given away many m8's that have came on pre 64's I've bought over the years. Seems everyone here locally think those are better than sliced bread on their pre 64 model 70's. I even bought a CZ550 9.3x62mm that had one on top. Gave that away to a buddy of mine. Sold some for $50.00 at a flea market too. The retro scopes I like are the old steel tubed weavers. Last year a gave my good buddy an old sporterized p14 and put a steel tube weaver on it for him.

One of my favorite/go to hunting rifles wears a gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Try finding one of those. Its not going to happen:
BONER ALERT,nice rigs sir..

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have never had a problem with M8s in 4X or 6x not holding zero

That's not the reason Pappy348 decided he'd had enough "nostalgia" from an M8. They hold zero fine--but getting there often requires far more ammo and time than many of prefer anymore, especially when other relatively inexpensive scopes hold zero just as well, but require a LOT less effort to zero in the first place.

I still own at least half a dozen friction-adjustment Leupolds, both M8 fixed powers and a couple variables. They're on older rifles where they look right. But I own more Burris Fullfield IIs these days, mostly variables but also one of the discontinued 6x40s, because it takes far less time and ammo to get them zeroed--and they hold it very well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prezactly!

The FF II went back on, and though I'd changed out the mounts completely, bore-sighting it only required tweaking the elevation and a couple of rounds at the range had me back in business.

Meanwhile, the "old custom" has "issues" with the holes in the bridge that are going to take a set of Burris ring inserts to correct. They finally arrived after yo-yoing hither and yon across America like Ricochet Rabbit in a UPS Mail Innovations container. Gotta love that "Free Shipping"!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.