Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15119319 08/08/20
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good luck to our California brethren. Coastal deer opened this morning.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A season is open here in Lake County but its going to be hot like 95 or so. Before I retired I lived on the coast and hunted San Mateo County on the coast. Sure do miss the sound of an excited jump dog or a good hound cold trailing before it makes the jump though.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know what happened to our blacktail herds. I doubt if the biologists know either. They are decimated to a tiny fraction of what they were. Maybe it is all of the things together, predator kills, natural cycles, mismangement/tag sales, highway kills. The "B" zones where I live, have steadily declined since the record winterkill in the mid 90's. A good portion of the deer no longer migrate to the high mountains in the spring, they seem to gravitate to the valley floors and foothills, usually where there is increased human habitation.??? Even the "eat anything" black bear population has declined. Never hunted very hard since hound hunting was outlawed, you would think they would flourish with no natural predators, they are now just a shadow of their former population. I have a renter who is a pro taxidermist, he used to keep busy all year with bear mounts and rugs, he's lucky to get one a year the last 5 years. Deer mounts the same, seldom any trophy bucks, now it's all just decent 4 points which are the new trophy I guess. Sad.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It was said that the California Deer herd was the best studied and the worst managed. I totally agree with that. The seasons and bag limits are set by someone in Sacramento who isn't even a biologist. Mountain lions, Bears and coyotes have decimated our herds. Here in Lake county they used to harvest 2500 Bucks a year, now maybe 200. With the recent fires around here hopefully with new growth of forage they will make some kind of a rebound. Sadly, the small numbers left make it hard to do that. I think more controled and perscription burning could really help them along with more predator control.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The lions were just starting to take hold in Paso Robles when I left a couple of years ago. They had already decimated the area North of Santa Cruz where I grew up. It's a shame the fish and game department is over ruled by the idiot voters.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lions.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have never understood why CA holds the season so early. I was stationed there for 3 years and always took deer but it was a challenge handling the meat in 100 degree temps. Doesn't make uch sense to me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The early season (A season) starts early to avoid hunting Bucks in the full rut. The Bucks normally start to go into the rut around the middle of September especially along the coast. You don't want to try and eat the meat of a Blacktail that is in full rut. It will run you out of the kitchen.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.