Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm going to SD to hunt prairie dogs in a couple of weeks. Since this is a first time adventure I plan on doing a walk in. I plan on using a Harris bi-pod rest but don't know which one would be best suited for this type of hunting. Any recommendation and comments would be much appreciated. I should also mention this is a warm up trip for an October Mule deer hunt in the big horns and will also be a back pack situation. Would the mule deer hunt need a taller setup or at least that is my thoughts as of now.

Looking forward to some help here.

Regards

If you never leave your comfort zone you will never expand it.

Big Stone
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
a PD shoot off of sticks is real good practice for big game......even from a helinox chair. Keeps yer azz up outta the cactus and goatheads. To me, shorter bipods suck on a walkabout PD hunt. Too old to be getting up and down that much....

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No one hunts PDs, ya just shoot em.

Good target practice!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use a Bipod that will the;escope out enough for sitting position, but in enough for prone...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a folding lawn chair and a bipod or tripod tall enough to match

I dont want o be going prone anywheres around a pdog town........snakes ,......... and rodent schit laying everywhere

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a shooting bench that rotates 360 degrees. It’s super comfortable and stable. But not near as mobile as a bipod. I used to use bipods but at an older age, getting up off the ground many times a day, is no fun.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Shooting sticks, and a lawn chair, light weight and mobile, I don't leave home with out them, going prone here is a waste of time as you can't see passed the end of your barrel, to many weeds and brush, some guy's down here carry a small step ladder with big feet to sit on so they can see over the brush.

I have hunted all over the U.S.A. And Canada, and I have never shot a critter from prone, For P. dog shoots I like a chair and sticks, or a shooting table on a flat bed trailer, and shade comes in handy, what ever floats your boat make your self happy and have a good time it's your nickle. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
First PD hunt I went on, I had a low bipod, forced me to shoot prone. I had a stiff neck for a week after that two day hunt. As Ingwe says, get one that allows you to shoot sitting, but allows prone when you want to. But all day in the prone position is a killer. If you can stay close the the pickup, a portable banch is great. But sitting with a bipod that allows it, or shooting sticks is best for walk in. You'll still have a lot of weight to carry with water (bring lots) and ammo (bring lots) and a binocular! You'll probably be windburned and sunburned it the weather is sunny, sunscreen isn't a bad idea either.

Last edited by 300_savage; 08/10/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

When you setup find a spot that has 3 colony’s within 300-400 yards so you can shoot at one group until they go down, pivot to the next, repeat, pivot, repeat.

When I started shooting PD’s I used my own benches I made out of 2 layers of 3/4 plywood, with pipe legs.. I did add a umbrella to them later.

After doing it for a couple years I got a Caldwell BR Pivot.... they were cheap back then, not so much now - but it’s a great pivot bench.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a soft-sided stadium seat that has the side straps sewn closer to the seat itself for real back support, and attach another snap at the ends of the side straps for hands-free carry around your waist. And don't forget the BRF...maybe even some DEET dang midges are bad this year here in So. CO.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Probably late to the party.....

I prairie dog shoot two or three times a year, on private ranch land.

If I were gonna do any walk around PB shooting.
I'd use one of those 'Death Grip' tripods to stand and shoot or with a camp style three legged stool to sit on.
Don't lay on the ground to shoot. PDs carry the plague and so do their fleas.
I don't pick up dead dogs for trophy photos neither, for the same reason.

In God We Trust

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.