Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
With a float tube, do you manage real cold water? Do you wear waders with your float tube? Is there something better?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You wear waders over your regular pants always. Add longjohns when it's cold. Add fleece sweatpants when it's very cold.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
'k. What about life jacket, inflatable float-coat, etc? How much is needed to offset the buoyancy of waders and give you a fighting chance to keep your head above water?

... I suppose it might help to know, regarding my concern for how much stuff I'm lugging, is the lake I want to fish is 5 miles in from the trailhead. I'm generally backpacking in for a couple days. Adding the weight of float tube, waders, flotation of some sort, wading shoes or fins, etc on top of fishing tackle and a couple days camp gear is a bit discouraging.

Last edited by T_O_M; 08/10/20.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For float tubes, waders are a must in cold water. Maybe not in a warm water fishery. With no waders, leaches may be a problem. Check ones state regs for required equipment. Since they are a floating device, a life jacket is a must. Seeing fewer tubes lately and more of the framed pontoon units that put one above the water and are powered with small oars and maybe flippers if one wears some fabric hippers.

A long handled net is a plus.

1Minute
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Light weight nylon waders with long johns underneath unless it's really cold, then neoprene waders. I always have a life jacket strapped to my float tube for emergencies.

IC B2

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin men, when I used to go into backwoods lakes fishing I would make a float tube out of a 20 inch truck tube & a half moon piece of plywood. Take it in & leave it there hidden from view under some brush, or deflate it & just carry a air pump in every time. If there are many lakes then.... we'll yur screwed. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦 They even work for ducks in a pond.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
With a float tube, do you manage real cold water? Do you wear waders with your float tube? Is there something better?

yes I always wear waders. Neoprenes when temps drop below 50 degrees. I like force fins too

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
'k. What about life jacket, inflatable float-coat, etc? How much is needed to offset the buoyancy of waders and give you a fighting chance to keep your head above water?

... I suppose it might help to know, regarding my concern for how much stuff I'm lugging, is the lake I want to fish is 5 miles in from the trailhead. I'm generally backpacking in for a couple days. Adding the weight of float tube, waders, flotation of some sort, wading shoes or fins, etc on top of fishing tackle and a couple days camp gear is a bit discouraging.

Always wear a PFD of some kind. Im a good swimmer but always wear a pfd in tube.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's been a while but I have been in a float tube in a snow storm with 5mm neoprene waders and was very comfortable.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

113 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 15 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.