Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They can get your number many different ways and you’ll never know how they got it... I had a card compromised once and the replacement card was compromised before I even activated it.

Public landowner...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Damn I hate a thief.

Just an FYI Randy, I have found that almost every time I've had my credit card stolen it's been after I "paid at the pump". I never pay at the pump anymore and have only had the card stolen twice since.

once we had cards stolen 3 times in one month.

Curious how the thieves can get your card info when you pay at the pump?

Skimming is bad at the Hajjii gas stations around here.

Unless im on fumes, I will not gas at a Raghead mart. And if I do, I get just enough to get to another station and while there I pay with cash or fuggin sticky change in my cup holder.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
How could a gas pump be rigged with a skimmer and the owner or staff of the store not be charged with a crime?

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by LovesLevers
How could a gas pump be rigged with a skimmer and the owner or staff of the store not be charged with a crime?

Card skimmers are small, inexpensive and can be quickly and easily attached to and removed from gas pumps, ATMs and pretty much any like credit/debit device with external card scanner by anyone at anytime and left for just a few hours, days or completely abandoned after enough transaction info gets recorded which is typically to a remote location via a wireless connection.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My card was compromised last month. It was also at a best buy in a state im not even near. Kinda wondering why so many charges to best buy?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have the Chase CC ap on my phone. All charges appear as text messages within seconds 99% of the time.

CC info was stolen once with Chase. They overnighted a new card and reversed the fraudulent charges.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've bought 3-4 tanks of gas with pay at the pump a week all over the southeast for the past several years. At one time I was averaging driving 1,000-1,500 miles a week in 9 states and spending a couple of nights a week in motels. The only time I can recall getting a card compromised was after checking into a fleabag motel in central Illinois somebody bought a pair of high-dollar sneakers on that card number. Since I keep a running tally of charges to my accounts on an almost daily basis, I caught the scam before the bank did. Card was cancelled and a new one issued immediately.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s almost a monthly event in our household.

I will NEVER buy anything from someone or some entity that utilizes a PayPal. Hipster phaggot scamming mfkers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn electronics will be the death of us.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by joken2

I'll be damned. That is good info. Thanks for posting.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Majority of new vehicles have Bluetooth connectivity so you're likely to get many hits...

Haven't got any hits off of vehicles yet, but that doesn't mean I won't someday. I haven't checked for a long while now, I only buy gas with cash now. It would have to be an extreme emergency to get me to swipe plastic at a gas pump anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

I'm out of date. Last info I saw was a camera that mounted up under the top of the reader. I see the newer ones are getting a lot more sophisticated.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sometimes people get the misconception that your card number was “just compromised”. Had to been the last time you used it or the last time you made a purchase online. In reality your card could have been compromised a year ago and they just got to it on their list of thousands.

Public landowner...
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Damn I hate a thief.

Just an FYI Randy, I have found that almost every time I've had my credit card stolen it's been after I "paid at the pump". I never pay at the pump anymore and have only had the card stolen twice since.

once we had cards stolen 3 times in one month.

Yep avoid paying at the pump and keep yer antivirus protection up to date on yer PC and you’ll minimize risk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still pay at the pump. I just wiggle and jiggle the card reader, also I look for an intact hologram seal from our Tennessee Dept of Weights and Measures or an unbroken reader door. Granted anyone can put a seal ribbon on there. I at least pretty much always get fuel at one of about 3 stations.

Still better than going inside and getting behind all the human debris buying scratchoffs, ciggs, goddamm pizza, live bait and stupid chit in general.

Like I said, try always avoid “Tank & Tummy” mom and pop shîthole gas stations, Meth Mart, Hajjii Mart, etc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LovesLevers

They found a skimmer on the pumps at the C-store my wife runs.
Glad she wasn't jailed!

Seriously, nobody with half a brain would put one on their pumps.
A trail that leads back to you, and when it gets out, it's bad for bidness.

Gas pumps aren't the only place either.
ATM's are frequent targets, even the ones at a bank. Although other locations are
more likely.

We got hit multiple times back when we used rewards cards for gas.
Got tired of the BS, and the chain she works for stopped the pre-pay for cash,
so now we use cash.
Never, ever, let someone (waitress) take your card out of your sight.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Same thing happened to me about a week ago. Also with Best Buy, they charged around $11K worth of something. Mine was on a Sam's card that I only use at Sam's. A few days later they got my credit union card.

Last edited by FastXD; 08/10/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Cinch
Sometimes people get the misconception that your card number was “just compromised”. Had to been the last time you used it or the last time you made a purchase online. In reality your card could have been compromised a year ago and they just got to it on their list of thousands.

^^^ This ^^^

Or eventually sold on the 'Dark Web'.

Over 30 Million Stolen Credit Card Records Being Sold on the Dark Web January 30, 2020

HOW TO BUY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS ON THE DARK WEB?: 1000 WEBSITES TO BUY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS ONLINE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the midst of all of these walgreens burnings, some enterprising looters got CC numbers

Dont have a link, just something I remembered hearing a snippet a couple weeks back

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would NEVER respond directly to an online or phone inquiry about anything that involves my finances. If one clicks a link or answer he/she may be granting permission for all kinds of deviant doings. I will, however, initiate my own inquiry into affairs by calling a relevant phone number from my records. .

Last edited by 1minute; 08/10/20.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.