Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hi folks,
've been interested to learn how to make rifle stocks (wood) for a long time.
Are there any resources that you can suggest where a novice may start?
Any good books, videos, or other resources that I haven't thought of?

I have done quite a bit of woodwork but everything I've done has always been with right angles, gun stocks seem quite a bit more complex.

I'm thinking to grab the bull by the horns this winter and to make something simple for a .22 I have laying around.
Never hurts to learn a new skill.

Thanks in advance

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

There was a thread about a guy in MT or someplace out west where they made stocks from wood blanks a half year ago - do some searching on “class” ... and other words with stocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wesbrook - Professional Stockmaking

Takes patience, but mostly is a function of blending a lot of straight lines.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/07/20.

1Minute
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This book has a whole section on shaping, proportions, checkering, etc. The finishing info is dated, but the rest is still valid ; https://www.amazon.com/NRA-Gunsmithing-Guide-Updated/dp/0935998470
I have the first edition of this book and it covers every aspect stock making. I have not seen this second edition, but it is likely as good or better : https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Projects-Second-Publishing-Company/dp/187935683X

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Look up Steven Dodd Hughes Fine Gunmaking, he gives weeklong classes in his shop in Montana. If you're seriously interested in learning stockmaking there is no better hands-on experience than one of Hughes classes.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Westbrook book is excellent, along with the Alvin Linden book "Restocking a Rifle" and "Checkering and Carving Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy....

Some of the information is a bit dated in several of these books, but the basic information and instructional references are excellent...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Larry Potterfield covers many stockmaking topics in his series of Midway gunsmithing videos.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hoarsecock
Hi folks,

I have done quite a bit of woodwork but everything I've done has always been with right angles, gun stocks seem quite a bit more complex.

I'm thinking to grab the bull by the horns this winter and to make something simple for a .22 I have laying around.

Thanks in advance

Find someone within a reasonable distance to mentor you through a build.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
The Westbrook book is excellent, along with the Alvin Linden book "Restocking a Rifle" and "Checkering and Carving Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy....

Some of the information is a bit dated in several of these books, but the basic information and instructional references are excellent...

Bob

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Hoarsecock
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance

Find someone within a reasonable distance to mentor you through a build.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I built a few over the years for myself, go slow and take your time

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Thanks very much for the replies gents.
Watch this space, I'll post a picture of my first stock!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A thoought... People often say they are using a very plain (cheap) blank because they are afraid they would screw up an expensive one. The problem is they have nothing "invested" emotionally and by the end of the project they just want to get done. The result is a bland stock they never really like.

So look around for a decent blank with good grain flow and some character. It will make the project a lot more interesting and in the end you will really appreciate it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do like Sitka Deer says. As a retired stockmaker you will put a lot of time and effort into it so use a blank that will reflect your efforts and something to be proud of. Jerry Fisher was my instructor in Gunsmith school and there is a guy who can really make a beautiful stock out of a blank.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A thoought... People often say they are using a very plain (cheap) blank because they are afraid they would screw up an expensive one. The problem is they have nothing "invested" emotionally and by the end of the project they just want to get done. The result is a bland stock they never really like.

So look around for a decent blank with good grain flow and some character. It will make the project a lot more interesting and in the end you will really appreciate it.

+1...
I would add a couple things to this- many people who start stockmaking don't understand the relationship between what you see in the blank and how it looks once you cut all those curved lines and different shapes across the lines of figure and grain. What looks like a relatively plain piece of wood can actually turn out to be a really outstanding stock if you understand the grain patterns and how to lay out your stock on the blank... I've had some $25 blanks I picked up when I first started making stocks that were outstanding when they were finished and I've had some $125 blanks that were extremely bland once I got them shaped... a mistake on my part not reading the figure in the blanks when I bought them...

Look at the blank from all angles before laying out your money- especially the end grain- to see how the grain runs and twists in the blank... then think about how you lay your stock out on the blank to take advantage of the best part of the grain and/or figure... sometimes it just can't be done and you have to walk away from a blank that seems really great at first glance but just doesn't work in the final layout...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 08/10/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hello Folks,

I am Les Brooks a retired gunsmith and a stockmaker. I made my last stock in 2010 and made a written article and posted over on AccurateReloading site. It had over 110,000 hits on the article and I covered how to make a stock from a blank with only hand tools. The Hunt101 picture host went down and took all the pictures of my projects down. I saved all of the article and wrote it up with original pictures. I now have a DVD or USB drive with lots of info in stockmaking. I went thru TSJC in 1961-63 and in 1992 to teach stockmaking for a couple of years until the school found someone for an instructor. Send me a PM and I will get back to you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag for later

L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Pictures of a blank about to be cut into a stock by hand tools.

https://i.postimg.cc/PqHJ5fHX/IMG-0076.jpg

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
as said above go slow think about what you are going to do, might get a semi inlet stock to get your feet wet, modify it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.