Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This was in this morning's paper. MICROPLASTICS The last sentence is interesting. Maybe plastics take 2 decades to break down so they can be moved by wind.

Tiny plastic particles are piling up in Idaho’s wild places, according to this study
BOISE — A recent study published by a Utah researcher found wind and rain are scattering tiny pieces of plastic throughout national parks and wilderness areas in the West — including one unique landscape in Idaho.

Janice Brahney, an assistant professor of watershed scientists at Utah State University, last month published an article on “microplastics” that are being distributed across the region by weather patterns. One of the areas she studied was Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve, a lava flow landscape in southern Idaho.

“With all the sites, I picked remote wilderness and park areas in the western United States where we tend to see dust deposition occurring,” Brahney said in a phone interview. “So I was specifically trying to see how dust deposition might vary across space and time.”

Brahney told Audubon Magazine last month that she stumbled across the microplastics by mistake. Brahney studies dust distribution and composition and noticed the tiny, colorful pieces of plastic while examining sediments for another project.

“When I started looking at my samples and seeing so many bits of plastic, I just knew this was really important and really wanted to understand what was happening,” Brahney said.

The majority of the pieces turned out to be synthetic microfibers that are used in clothing. About 30% were “microbeads” like the ones used in facial scrubs and other beauty products.

Brahney used weather modeling and samples of dust collected by the National Atmospheric Deposition Program to try to determine the origin of the microscopic litter that was landing in places such as Grand Canyon National Park and Utah’s High Uintas Wilderness. She found that “about 10 to 20% of the plastics being deposited were explained by movement of air masses over urban centers before it reached our deposition site,” meaning wind picked up the particles and swept them into remote areas like Craters.

Storms that hadn’t passed over cities deposited far fewer microplastics, though they were still present in samples Brahney studied.

In all, she estimated that about 1,000 metric tons of microplastics fall per year in the wilderness areas she studied — about 8 metric tons of that will accumulate in the 1,100 square miles that make up Craters of the Moon.

“(The plastic particles) are likely accumulating in the soils and the water bodies there,” Brahney said. ”... They can be moved from rain, wind, river action. But certainly some proportion is going to remain in the soil.”

And that reality is not just isolated to Craters, though it was the only Idaho site Brahney studied. She said microplastics tend to accumulate in high-elevation areas — like Idaho’s mountains and alpine lakes. The mountains are more exposed to pollutants deposited by the atmosphere, and their ecosystems tend to be more delicate due to the lower number of species that exist there, Brahney said. That makes microplastics a potentially bigger problem in Idaho and the West.

“(Mountain areas) experience climate change in ways that are more extreme than other places,” Brahney said.

Brahney said her findings are indicative of the need to reduce plastic use through means like better consumer choices, less wasteful habits and better waste management strategies. Still, the problem with microplastics may persist for some time.

“The plastics we’re seeing in the atmosphere are old,” Brahney said. “They’re not plastics we threw out yesterday. They were thrown out maybe a few decades ago.”

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Rock Chuck,

It's been an interest of mine since they started test for it. If I have time to find it tonight, I'll post Mike's findings. That junk it EVERYWHERE. It can clog kidneys and supposed to get stored in certain tissues.
I battle every time that I grocery shop to do my best to reduce plastics. I mainly rewrap food in butcher paper before vacuum sealing, or use glass or stainless steel for refrigeration.

https://www.brighteon.com/6047108622001

This video on the subject is brief but annoying background music. Just turn it down and read the subtitles.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm not a scientist so I'm not going to dispute the science.

However, we had a very similar article show up in our local rag today, talking about microplastics in freshwater clams in our local river.

Coincidence?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.brighteon.com/3eb07753-678d-4bae-9ffa-eaee902e681a

Similar one .

Salt and Sea food

https://www.brighteon.com/5850376620001

I finally found sea salt with no added flowing agents, chemicals, or fluoride. Of all places, the dollar store.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I'm not a scientist so I'm not going to dispute the science.

However, we had a very similar article show up in our local rag today, talking about microplastics in freshwater clams in our local river.

Coincidence?

I know that drudge or the Assoc. Press puts out news feeds that most of the news vendors rehash.
That's usually why the info these days is the same on every channel.

But this issue has been a problem for many years.
I suspect that the change from paper bags to "save a tree for the environment" plastic bags is one of the worse contributors to microplastcs.
Polyester fibers are too. I don't mind inhaling wool nearly as much as poly dust from the clothes.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The next pillar of the green new deal.

I keep finding mylar birthday and graduation balloons here on our place.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
China and India are the major culprits of plastic pollution. They say that just 10 rivers in the world contribute 90% of the pollution. None are in the western hemisphere. 8 are in Asia and 2 are in Africa.

this is in China:
[Linked Image from m-restaurantgroup.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Liberals always try to regulate us (US) for crap that china and india do

That who race to regulate R-12 and 22, blame them. All this smokestack drama and retrofit we do....shîthole countries??? Where is Erin Brockabitch??

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I've started manscaping my wild places. No pictures, please!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you look at the chemical composition of decaying organic matter and that of "microplastics" you'll find that they are the same. They are hydrocarbons. This whole thing is just fearmongering.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've always wondered where all rubber worn from tires ends up. The way the sides of the roads grow grass my guess is that rubber is a good fertilizer.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are doomed in this respect. Last week I was scouting at 9,700 ft on a mountain and there were plastic bottles.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Until people quit littering this problem will not go away. Outta sight, outta mind. I do not loose sleep over this, I just pick up after myself. Roam all the waterways here in dairy country and you will surely find ag plastic along the banks and burrow ditches. Plastic is everywhere. Pick it up whenever you can.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
China and India are the major culprits of plastic pollution. They say that just 10 rivers in the world contribute 90% of the pollution. None are in the western hemisphere. 8 are in Asia and 2 are in Africa.

this is in China:
[Linked Image from m-restaurantgroup.com]

What the hell...

Those people should be wearing masks... or they're going to die.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Hydrocarbons with extremely long degrading rates! Plastics have there place, the wilderness is not one of them!
When plastic bags are used and not disposed of properly, they become modern tumbleweeds. Not good for anyone, anyplace anytime! When disposed of properly they are a non-issue.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If you look at the chemical composition of decaying organic matter and that of "microplastics" you'll find that they are the same. They are hydrocarbons. This whole thing is just fearmongering.

“Organic matter” does NOT decay or decompose at the same rate. Various rates of decomposition are found for different materials.

I do believe that plastics are a scourge on our bodies and the environment but escaping from them is virtually impossible.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Y'all need to look up the Pacific Garbage Island some day. Huge expanse of floating trash, all from China and India, floating in the South Pacific. They estimate the size of it to be bigger than the state of TX. China and India will eventually trash the entire planet.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In this country, plastic water bottles are the major scourge. Bottled water is a scam even exceeding Covid. I read that Keurig individual coffee containers are coming up fast. I can't remember how many millions of them hit the trash heaps every day but the number is astounding.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In the country we burn the plastics.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our EPA has outlawed a lot of landfill burning because of 'air quality'. It's all recycled or just buried. Of course those in rural areas burn it all.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.