Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Making a chutney today, it is sweet and sour, salty, and hot. It can be used on burgers, hot dogs, and even as an ingredient in meatloaf. You can serve it with roasted meats, use it as a condiment on sandwiches, especially strong cheese, it is amazing, period. The possibilities are endless.

Parsi Tomato Chutney

3 pounds (1.5kg) ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped (or pitted, chopped plums or peaches, or peeled, cored and diced apples, pears, quinces, etc.)
1/2 cup finely-julienned peeled ginger (about one 2.5-inch/6-cm-long piece)
1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic (about one large head)
1 1/2 cups (375ml) cane, malt or cider vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup (75-150g) raisins (optional)
2 cups (400g) turbinado/raw sugar, or half-light brown and half white
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper or hot ground chile (or to taste)
1 small cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
grated peel of 1 organic orange (optional)

First, open a few windows (you’ll soon see why). Place all the ingredients except the orange peel (start with the smaller amounts given) in a heavy nonreactive pot and bring to a boil, stirring so everything gets well combined. Lower the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the chutney reaches the consistency of a soft jam. This will probably take at least 2 hours; you can speed things up by increasing the heat, but then you’ll need to remember to stir much more frequently. Particularly once it starts getting thick it can burn in a flash.

Adjust the balance of sugar, salt, and vinegar while the chutney is still warm. Add the orange peel if you want it. Add more cayenne if you’d like it hotter. Preferably let it sit out for a day to let the flavors meld and then check the seasonings again. As Niloufer explains it, you want a taste of this chutney to “light up your mouth”; I like to think of it as a wrestling match between sweet, sour, salty, and hot.

To bottle for shelf-storage, bring the chutney back to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, then proceed with your favorite canning method. Otherwise, it will keep a good few weeks in the fridge (particularly if you’ve used the full amount of cayenne!).

https://travelerslunchbox.com/2010/10/26/a-chutney-for-all-seasons/

All the ingredients assembled and ready for the cooking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cooking as I write this, two hours and we shall see.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lynn, could you post pictures of your boat, and motor? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Bets thats also good with some habaneros.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, Lynn, that looks good. I would go less sweet (fuggin blood sugar) for my needs, but that would be good on fish too.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I make a similar chutney and use piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar cones) for the sugar and quite a bit less of it. I use spirals of the orange peel and more of it, more cloves, pepper corns, and less tomato... about the same though. On rice and beans, in quantity, it is awesome!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Love the stuff, in all it's forms !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That chutney looks wonderful!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks great. My wife makes an awesome pear and ginger chutney when we have ham for the holidays using this recipe.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251062/ginger-pear-chutney/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
would love to try that stuff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks great, thanks for the recipe. I made a similar chutney but with green tomatoes. it is more like a relish or piccally. I usually add both curry powder and garam masala for more variety of flavors. I did a pear chutney and a peach mango one similar to yours but only one tomatoe.

I will try your recipe when fall tomatoes come in it's too hot now for them the last ones cooked on the vine.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, my mum makes a great tomato relish with curry & GM.

Great on a real cheddar sammich.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (02bfishn, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.