Anyone missing out on a yearly trip?

I am. cry

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Missed two this year. Was supposed to go to NW Ontario the first week of June and northern Manitoba last week. Obviously neither happened. It sucks but there’s nothing I can do but hope for next year. If the border is closed next year, I’m going to Alaska.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I miss both good friends, and fishing.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been to Canada a whole bunch and it was sure some quality time with my dad. We would fly out of Red Lake and hit the walleyes all week long and get into some really nice fish. Dad would quit fishing because his arms would get tired catching fish. It was getting a little pricey as the years went by, but 8 of us did it again last year as a reunion trip and if anything, the fishing has gotten even better for the bigger fish. The border back into the US was getting to be a real bottleneck, so one year one of my shooting buddies decided that four of us should go to Alaska instead. Scratch another bucket list trip off my list and actually it wasn't that much more expensive than going to Canada. We flew into Anchorage and rented a couple year old van two miles from the airport. Then we drove to Homer and rented a condo, hired a guide and hit the silver and pink salmon really well in the Kenai River. The ocean was so calm that we went charter halibut fishing every day after that. My first halibut was 93# which rarely happens on half day charters. All of us brought back 50# of frozen halibut fillets for a $20.00 extra baggage charge. I blistered my hand catching fish and good as Canada ever was, it wasn't that good. No passport required or border hassle either. Recommended.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why you want to rub it in ? I was going to take my son this year .

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My yearly trip was cancelled.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've never fished Minnesota, I don't know why there would not be some great fishing on the Northern lakes.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hi All,

As the Border is now closed until September 21st, that wipes out the entire season. As hard as it seems for us, just imagine how the camp owners , guides, and staff feel about going an entire season without a paycheck.

This year was a great disappointment for me, since both of my sons were also going. The first since 2006 that we haven't been able to get together in Canada or Alaska. When I look at the polarized, politically influenced behaviors of many of us South of the border, I think we are among our own worst enemies. I feel politically homeless, but do believe in the science. It didn't have to be this difficult. I don't blame the Canadians for not wanting us up there to help spread this virus. I think Kenora only has ten ventilators to meet normal requirements. They would be overwhelmed if thousands of Americans spread this thing up there.

We rolled our dates over to the 2021 season, but I'm worried that without a serious change in national behaviors, or an effective vaccine, 2021 is also questionable. I just wish everyone would do everything possible to try to get ahead of this.

Richard, let's hope we can still meet for that lunch in Vermilion Bay before too long.

Best Regards.

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I’ve got no problem with Canada or the Canadians. I really enjoy both. But...I’m not going to miss out on another season. I’m not sure how national behavior can or should be changed. If the border is closed next year, I’ll be in Alaska and not likely to return where I’m not welcome.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My annual weekly trip to Erieau was also cancelled

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fish the Thousand Islands and prefer the Canadian side. Its out this year.

BTW I read where a man and his two sons bought non-resident Ontario licenses and crossed over from NY to Ontario by boat to fish. They were stopped and threatened with arrest by RCMP who were patrolling the river. Nothing happened but they lost their license money because they could not fish the Canadian side.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
815 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,241 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.