M
Mth281 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Originally Posted by Mth281
Went out to test some new loads in my 280 tang m77. Hit and 15mph winds. Tried some rl-19 with some sst, eldx, gmx. 2.7moa would be the best I did. Then again my shooting platform wasn’t super solid(prome with no back support). My scope is a 3-9x. Tried different coals. The longer gmx load seemed to do best, but they are a fraction too long for my magazine. Only good news I learned. I got in a hurry and just shot off a bunch of rounds while my barrel was too hot to touch on a different target. Didn’t seem to affect the accuracy at all(gun is cryno treated, I’d that does anything.

Just figured I’d vent a bit. I have to drive 1.5 hours to shoot my rifle. And today’s 5 hour trip gave me very little useful info. This gun was owned by a decently known gunsmith, he definitely modded the rifle. I have some of his load data.

My immediate thought was this post was a joke from the get-go. A second and third reading did not shake the thought....

You can believe that if you want.

GB1

M
Mth281 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Originally Posted by bartman
1) Make sure the bore is clean
2) Make sure all all things are tight on the mounts,rings,action screws etc
3) Shoot from the same position using the same technique everytime all the time.
4) Select 1 load and stick with it, don't change this variable, resist the temptation
5) Practice, practice, practice!!! As you develop you will be able to out shoot your load/gun combination. Then start tweaking the variables one at a time and documenting the changes.
6) Don't get discouraged the starting point is 2.7 MOA, it's a learning curve thing. Enjoy the process.

This is good advice. What was the temperature during your shooting session? Anything over 80 with RL 19 can be problematic IME. I had an issue with it in 30-06 (same case) on a Florida hunt and was soured by it quite a while ago. Storing ammo in the sun can cause issues as well. Have you read any of MD's gun gack books? Lots of good info there.

The temperature sensitivity wont reveal itself without a chronograph

Good luck and shoot straight y'all.
It was 90+ degrees. I’ve heard rl-19 is temp sensitive. But I’ve also read that people exaggerate the sensitivity a bit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Mono bullets can be picky.

In addition to multiple OAL, it's also prudent to load multiple powders behind them, especially when the range is a long ways from home.

But you did learn something. Your gun doesn't like GMX's with RL-19.

Got a dumb question I just thought of. Can grass majorly affect a bullets flight path. I was laying down while shooting. And with it being summer there was longer grass. I avoided as well as I could but there was deffinetly some grass 5-10 feet infront of the barrel.

Yes,

Shooting through grass can affect your groups.

Agree when it's a 280rem. cartridge but if you're shooting a BRUSH BUCKING cartridge limbs/logs/trees won't change the coarse of the bullet . Any misses are ''on you'' ………..

Doing load development in windy conditions without a good rest is like heading out sled riding when there's no snow .

Holy chidt are you mistaken.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Went out to test some new loads in my 280 tang m77. Hit and 15mph winds. Tried some rl-19 with some sst, eldx, gmx. 2.7moa would be the best I did. Then again my shooting platform wasn’t super solid(prome with no back support). My scope is a 3-9x. Tried different coals. The longer gmx load seemed to do best, but they are a fraction too long for my magazine. Only good news I learned. I got in a hurry and just shot off a bunch of rounds while my barrel was too hot to touch on a different target. Didn’t seem to affect the accuracy at all(gun is cryno treated, I’d that does anything.

Just figured I’d vent a bit. I have to drive 1.5 hours to shoot my rifle. And today’s 5 hour trip gave me very little useful info. This gun was owned by a decently known gunsmith, he definitely modded the rifle. I have some of his load data.

My immediate thought was this post was a joke from the get-go. A second and third reading did not shake the thought....

Yeah, hes just trolling.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What, you've never shot prone without back support?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Don't listen to Dixie Rebel or bsa1917hunt - listen to me and get yourself a 45-70 brush bucking rifle .
I shoot a 444marlin w/300gr. bullets through anything - limbs brush , hail storm once hail balls big as softball I could see them exploding as the bullet tracked perfectly to the bullseye .
1/2'' groups all day long if I do my part .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Originally Posted by bartman
1) Make sure the bore is clean
2) Make sure all all things are tight on the mounts,rings,action screws etc
3) Shoot from the same position using the same technique everytime all the time.
4) Select 1 load and stick with it, don't change this variable, resist the temptation
5) Practice, practice, practice!!! As you develop you will be able to out shoot your load/gun combination. Then start tweaking the variables one at a time and documenting the changes.
6) Don't get discouraged the starting point is 2.7 MOA, it's a learning curve thing. Enjoy the process.

This is good advice. What was the temperature during your shooting session? Anything over 80 with RL 19 can be problematic IME. I had an issue with it in 30-06 (same case) on a Florida hunt and was soured by it quite a while ago. Storing ammo in the sun can cause issues as well. Have you read any of MD's gun gack books? Lots of good info there.

The temperature sensitivity wont reveal itself without a chronograph

Good luck and shoot straight y'all.
It was 90+ degrees. I’ve heard rl-19 is temp sensitive. But I’ve also read that people exaggerate the sensitivity a bit.

I believe that RL 19 and 22 are about the same at least that is what my experience indicates. Here's a list which indicates that 19 is a little more temperature sensitive than 22.

I'm surprised to see RL15 with a high number I thought it was pretty good. From what I gather powder and cartridges can vary. Some powders will work fine with this cartridge and not so with that one.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/attachments/tempsens-jpg.207726/

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Last edited by scottishkat; 08/12/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.