Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Laffin'...
I picked up "Shottie" here but won't stoop to the others, not that Loopy.

In good news, I patterned the upper barrel the other night (had to go buy some more roll paper) and it's "Super-im-posed" right over the pattern for the lower barrel, slightly smaller. The effective area at 40 with the lower looks like about 32 inches and the upper is 28 or so. Didn't do a pellet count, although it looks nice and even, I just wanted a visual impression of the pattern location, which is at least a 60-40 if not higher.

So I'm really excited to go do some trap with it, hopefully soon. The late owner of the gun was a top rank local trap guy, and he shot that thing for years. He wouldn't have done so unless he really liked it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dave ,I've had 4 different supers and they all 1 one thing in common which was their age. They were long tang guns with .725" bore diameters. I found that they threw outstanding patterns. Try it yourself but I used 7/8 oz of 9's for 16 yd targets and 1st shot on doubles with the lower barrel (improved modified) and 1 oz loads of hard 8's in the top barrel (full choke) for hdcp and 2nd shot doubles tighter patterns than 1 1/8 oz loads would give. I don't remember the constriction in the imp mod barrel but the fulls were down at. . 686" .039" constriction. My guns were made before the advent and wide spread use of 1 piece plastic wads. Browning was real slow to change to more open constrictions. Try them I think you will be pleasantly surprised. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/08/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mag Bob
I can't remember the exact numbers on the existing choking, but it's certainly tight. Like .673 on the upper, but that's just with a dial caliper, it was around 690 for the lower. But the patterns are round, even and well-centered over the beads, so I'm hoping I can swing as small as the patterns. We'll see. I'm a long time rifle and pistol junkie, but this is the first shotgun I've ever owned -- because it had some "sentimental" value and the price was lovely, too. The more clays and trap I shoot, the more I like it, so who knows?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
people tend to psyc themselves out with all these numbers and restrictions and data.
shotgunning was suppose to be simple. point, shoot, break it.
when you get into counting lead pellets, weighing powder, comparing this that and the other thing....you lose a part of the sport that was intended to be fun.
the benchmark was and still is this simple....
ic mod full. forget the fine tuning in between.

ic-skeet for skeet.
full for trap.
mod for hunting
ic-mod for close up back yard clay.
there is a certain level of trust and respect due the engineers who designed these guns, ammo, and chokes over the generations.
the basics have never failed me. try the KISS theory and go have fun.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bobski
people tend to psyc themselves out with all these numbers and restrictions and data.
shotgunning was suppose to be simple. point, shoot, break it.
when you get into counting lead pellets, weighing powder, comparing this that and the other thing....you lose a part of the sport that was intended to be fun.
the benchmark was and still is this simple....
ic mod full. forget the fine tuning in between.

ic-skeet for skeet.
full for trap.
mod for hunting
ic-mod for close up back yard clay.
there is a certain level of trust and respect due the engineers who designed these guns, ammo, and chokes over the generations.
the basics have never failed me. try the KISS theory and go have fun.

Theory carries one not all that far.....You didn't arrive at were you did on theory.....Point, shoot, break is an acquired skill, not a simple one...All depends on ones commitment to the skill...

However, agree on the fact that many try to gain skill counting pellets, powder, etc....

Last edited by battue; 08/11/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i miss the days of simplicity.
like....grab the gun and a box of shells and go shoot.
miss? maybe. fun? sure.
go home and remember not to make the same mistakes twice and do it again another day.
at least i didn't have anything riding on my misses.
its when people put money on the line and must deal with all those that DO do the science to win.
like minds like results.
its why i stopped competing. it got too cut throat.
i forgot the fun and became absorbed in data and spread sheets...all in an effort to outdo someone elses data and spread sheets.
for what?
5 seconds of fame and picture on a magazine, that ends up in the attic.
fun shooting is for me now.
if i aint smiling, i aint doin' it right.
hope the OP sees it and has a good time.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't worry, I don't get too excited about guns that shoot PATTERNS instead of groups. I am too old to get excellent, just as long as I keep improving (and I need a lot of that) I'll enjoy it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what state you in?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Treasure state. Lefties know it as Big Sky Country.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leave it as is

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (280shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.