Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by reivertom
Electric cars are great, until they need a new battery in 5 or 6 years that costs 6 or 7 grand.
Batteries supposidly good for a million+ miles...Rode in a Tesla,very impressed-unbelivable power .

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just looked. A Tesla uses a 375v system. It's charged with 220v. It takes 1 hr to get an 80% load and 2 more hrs to go to 100%. They probably use a float charger for battery life.
This new one has a 900v system, no word yet on charging voltage or time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Electric cars will top out at maybe 30% unless government mandates them.

I would have one if it fit, they don't.

Have a neighbor of considerable means, he owns cars like 'fire members own guns.

Diesel Expedition for groups and trips.
Wife drives a 4 door Wrangler Statement and utility.
Classic Mercedes for tooling around and Sundays.
Smart car for his everyday...

Those of less means need vehicles that can cover more bases.

If an expensive car with limited range and long refill times made sense...
never will. My few decent cars need to be flexible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just curious on warranty. I don't see too many lucid stealerships around here. Not paying oe ever will if I can't get it fixed under warranty, if it has one that is. If not it's a moot point, ill stick with my gasser

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am really looking forward to trying an electric truck - pickup or semi, I don’t care. All that torque, no 9 sensor emissions system...... No problems starting at -20, no adding anti-gel, no $6000 variable geometry turbos to replace. No shifting, no babying the stupid torque converter.... simply can’t wait. 600 mile range is the barrier to entry, there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How big of a generator would be necessary to carry in your pickup to recharge in the back woods?

― George Orwell

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tech on these, will continue to improve.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Tesla model S can get 402 miles per full charge. The Tesla pickup truck coming the first of the year can get 500 miles range.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like to drive 32 hours each way to hunt elk. How many batteries do I need?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
900 volts you say? I saw a you tube clip of a car in South Africa that had built in propane flame throwers to deter car hijackers... If it comes with a switch labeled repel BLM rioters.... that would help sales...

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
I am really looking forward to trying an electric truck - pickup or semi, I don’t care. All that torque, no 9 sensor emissions system...... No problems starting at -20, no adding anti-gel, no $6000 variable geometry turbos to replace. No shifting, no babying the stupid torque converter.... simply can’t wait. 600 mile range is the barrier to entry, there.

As they say, that would be the tits!

You looking at that as 600 mi one way? One days drive in the semi? Charge overnight and haul back?

As much as I like the idea of it all, at my age I think the Tacoma will be my last vehicle for hunting type stuff, the old Matrix I just changed oil on might be the last daily driver, and the 4 year old RAV4 is probably the last "family car". Retirement will not allow for a new e-vehicle.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate Tesla. Egomaniac boss and egomaniac almost cult car owners. $1500 a share stock price? Compared to the biggest car makers in the world under $100 a share? Give me a break. I can't wait to see multiple companies offer viable competition just to see that stock price lose 90%. It's no fugging Amazon.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dutch

In the mid-90's I did a project for GM during EV1 press releases....it was a Chevy S10 with EV1 electric motor and batteries....was a fun truck fast for what it was then.....what sucked was you couldn't do but a couple burn out and it was back to charging....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This, of course, is under ideal conditions. My sister in law works for an ortho type Dr. in the Fargo area. He parks his Tesla all winter, as it can barely make the 30 mile one way commute in cold conditions. Cold has always been the enemy of batteries.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What? No electric snowplows in MT or MN?

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its like buying an 80,000 dollar diesel pickup to save money on fuel.

Its dumb.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just how practical are EV's as of now?

Are they really economically feasible?

Are they really environmentally better?

I can see where city folks my want one, if they are, but 70% of the country isn't metro... And it may be a hard sell.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Just how practical are EV's as of now?

Are they really economically feasible?

Are they really environmentally better?

I can see where city folks my want one, if they are, but 70% of the country isn't metro... And it may be a hard sell.

rockinbbar;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's as bright and fair in your part of the continent as it is up here and that all is well with you folks.

Interestingly on the subject of EV's, two of the chaps I've just done some firearm work for were driving Tesla's - one was new and one 3 years old.

The chap with the new one related that he wasn't able to make it from here to the Lower Mainland/Greater Vancouver area without stopping to charge. It's roughly 250 miles, but because of the mountains it must use more power going up than it saves and makes coming down.

When my good wife was looking into getting a new SUV last year, she decided on a hybrid since we do travel to see our daughter at the coast a few times a year and if there's an accident or avalanche one can sit for 4-5 hours sometimes. In winter when it's sorta nice to be warm, she didn't want to have the EV only in those instances.

With her hybrid, the math the dealer showed us was of course dependent on how much one drove, but "average" users usually paid for the cost difference in 2-4 years, if memory serves.

In her instance, it's a Rav4 Toyota and is getting an average of 5.3 liters per 100km which if my math is right would be about 44mpg US.

The biggest issue with the straight up EV or even the hybrids is the battery is extremely environmentally "dirty" to create and honestly there's debate as to whether they're being recycled properly when they're dead too.

She was looking for a few things by getting a hybrid and so far she's been more than happy with it, but I would suggest it's not a clear cut discussion by any means.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there sir. All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by driggy
This, of course, is under ideal conditions. My sister in law works for an ortho type Dr. in the Fargo area. He parks his Tesla all winter, as it can barely make the 30 mile one way commute in cold conditions. Cold has always been the enemy of batteries.

ssshhhh don't bring science into an emotional based conversation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (09wingates, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.