Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ok I want to put this to bed on many levels. I pulled a muzzleloader tag for Unit 36 NM start date of 10/10/20.

I would like first hand knowledge of that zone, what size elk are typically coming out of that zone in regards to inches, at what point do I say pass or let’s go after it, I don’t need “all elk are trophies” what I need is good information on what to expect hunting hard, good shape, five day hunt with an outfitter.

Thank you in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ask the outfitter?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great unit for 330-350+ elk. U may catch a late rut.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks muy.

Deadhead you say something?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Opened this to share some info but for a new guy on here asking for info you’re pretty much an azz.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Opened this to share some info but for a new guy on here asking for info you’re pretty much an azz.

Yep, me too....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by GusandRip
Ok I want to put this to bed on many levels. I pulled a muzzleloader tag for Unit 36 NM start date of 10/10/20.

I would like first hand knowledge of that zone, what size elk are typically coming out of that zone in regards to inches, at what point do I say pass or let’s go after it, I don’t need “all elk are trophies” what I need is good information on what to expect hunting hard, good shape, five day hunt with an outfitter.

Thank you in advance.

Never go full retard

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Gentlemen,
GUSandRIP is my hunting partner and he is going to NM with me. He and I drew unit 36 and we chose unit 36 as our first choice on our application based on what the outfitter told us at the time. Now the outfitter seems to be giving us "different" expectations so he AND I are looking for some real world experience. Everyone is entitled to a bad day and GusandRIP had a bad day after arguing with me over some differing opinions on what to expect out of unit 36. When we booked with our outfitter, we did it based on bigger expectations then what we are getting now. I'm not going to say that our outfitter is doing anything wrong or that they have mislead us, it's just that we have talked to the outfitter and now we would like some real world experience on unit 36 from guys who hunt it or have hunted it. What do you see, what is an average bull size, is it steep as Idaho etc..... We are getting excited and we just want some info from those that have been there done that and aren't outfitters.....
I'll apologize for any offense that my buddy may have caused but please give him the benefit of the doubt. It was just a stressful day and he turned to you guys here for some info after arguing with me.... he may have came across wrong but he turned to the wealth of knowledge here.....
Any real world experience for unit 36 would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Bob

Last edited by bobinpa; 08/12/20.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yep, Can be Steep as [bleep]. this is the area where the ski area is, so that should give you an idea, but also goes down to sage, juniper.
That might look like a small unit, but it is huge
Good to great bulls, Big country.
It is where the Mescalero Indians shoot the crap out of elk every year.
There are no specific places to go from me, but there are elk everywhere in there, some need horseback to get to.
Who is the outfitter? If he is worth anything you should come out of there with a 340-380 bull.
Best be in shape...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Gentlemen,
GUSandRIP is my hunting partner and he is going to NM with me. He and I drew unit 36 and we chose unit 36 as our first choice on our application based on what the outfitter told us at the time. Now the outfitter seems to be giving us "different" expectations so he AND I are looking for some real world experience. Everyone is entitled to a bad day and GusandRIP had a bad day after arguing with me over some differing opinions on what to expect out of unit 36. When we booked with our outfitter, we did it based on bigger expectations then what we are getting now. I'm not going to say that our outfitter is doing anything wrong or that they have mislead us, it's just that we have talked to the outfitter and now we would like some real world experience on unit 36 from guys who hunt it or have hunted it. What do you see, what is an average bull size, is it steep as Idaho etc..... We are getting excited and we just want some info from those that have been there done that and aren't outfitters.....
I'll apologize for any offense that my buddy may have caused but please give him the benefit of the doubt. It was just a stressful day and he turned to you guys here for some info after arguing with me.... he may have came across wrong but he turned to the wealth of knowledge here.....
Thanks
Bob

Gonna be a long hunt if you guys are arguing over that stuff....

Good luck...

- Greg

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who’s the outfitter and how many bulls you have you guys killed?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Hey Bob, super green up there right now, but it’s all monsoon grass. We were very dry all spring, so I’d say growth will be a little down this year. great unit, great dates. like someone mentioned same country as the Mescalero, but I believe they only average in the in the 330s. The wilderness is steep. Please don’t take offense, but I’ve got some honest questions. How big is yours and your buddy’s biggest bulls? If you you’re trying to best several 350 bulls or if it’s 370 or nothing, you’re gonna have to pass a bunch and you might be disappointed. Not impossible by any means, but if you have goals then you know what it’ll take to achieve them. Another honest question, and I don’t know y’all from Adam so I can’t say, but can you and your buddy tell the difference between a 330 and a 350? How about a 5 year old and an 8 year old type bull? Again, no offense but I have so many guys show up in camp and say they want a 350 bull but in reality they just heard that number and couldn’t tell the difference between a second year 6x and and 350. You sound like you’ve a good attitude which I promise your guide will appreciate and work hard for. They can’t control antler growth but a good positive attitude will keep them positive, we all want the biggest bulls on the mountain. I’m sure you do, but you should be thankful you drew a tag and are even getting to hunt, as there has been talk our beech of a governor has considered closing the hunting season somehow. Good luck and maybe you’ll kill a bull bigger than your buddy ! Hahaha

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I appreciate the info....all of it! He and I are new to Elk hunting. We have been on one other hunt (Idaho) where he was successful and I wasn't. We chose this unit because we were told there were big bulls in there.... lately we have been told the average is 320. He started this thread for reassurance from guys that have been there and could speak from experience. I'll reply more later as I am late for work....
Thanks again to everyone.....this is what we were looking for and it's reassuring that we made the right choice.

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Gentlemen,
Thanks
Bob

Gonna be a long hunt if you guys are arguing over that stuff....

Good luck...

I would agree but the only thing we have argued over is the differing info from outside sources.... We've had each others back since childhood. It wasn't my intention to make this seem like more than a difference of opinion.

TRUMP 2020
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
To answer a few of the questions... I have killed bulls in Idaho 310”. Would we know the difference between 330”- 350” I would say no however have been reading a lot about field scoring hopefully the guide will be well experienced in field judging.Really looking for 350” I’d say would be my/our “goal”

The whole point of the discussion was/is to determine what to pass on and when to pass, do we want the biggest bull...sure we do however size will not determine our success and enjoyment of the hunt. The guide (not outfitter) said there are a really good amount of 330”-350” and there are 370”-400” but there like ghosts but they are there.

Jokingly I said to guide if you pull a 350” in front of me day one I’m taking him and he said I’ll remember you said that..

Really appreciate all the replies!

Last edited by GusandRip; 08/14/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not sure I'd be that choosy unless you are ok with eating the tag or a meat bull. The more you wait for the right antlers the higher the chances of the above, especially on a 5 day'er. 5 days of hunting is minimal for trophy expectations and unknown bugling. If it's been dry, the rut may be more spotty as this does effect elk health which effects cows cycling.

You'll get a feeling on day 1 how it's gonna go. Adjust from there...

- Greg

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No offense but sounds like you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.

A 350 bull is a pretty lofty goal. See a lot of 320 bulls turn into 350 bulls on the WWW every year.

Are you guys willing to eat the tag for a 350?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey guys I hunted the 36 with Jim Bobb a couple of times. Has he retired. Have tried to find his contact info to no avail. Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
No offense but sounds like you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.

A 350 bull is a pretty lofty goal. See a lot of 320 bulls turn into 350 bulls on the WWW every year.

Are you guys willing to eat the tag for a 350?

Yep. You guys got a great tag, see a good bull that horns ya up, kill him.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
350 is not a lofty goal in that Unit. I would guess there is 35% chance on that size. Unit 34, 36, 37 Have some big bulls.
The Outfitter would be the ONE BIG variable in that scenario.
Yes, I personally would eat a tag for less than that, but then again I would not put in for a tag that didnt have those bulls,
and I have hunted enough that the experience is 90% of a hunt.
I looked over some of the outfitters in that area pictures, and, I was amazed that they would even show
those as client pictures.

Last edited by LeeC; 08/14/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.