Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I got to try out a Jackery 1000 solar generator(22 pounds) and solar panels to see how they would work for a truck camper..Actually,I am pretty impressed..The ability to use the pure sinewave inverter built in with my microwave(700 watts) or a 5-cup coffee maker(650 watts) and the 3-quart Insta-Pot(700 watts) without messing with a gas generator on the go, is nice..I did have to dig out my 2200 watt generator out of the back seat to charge my AGM battery I forgot to charge before I left..I guess I forgot what a pain they can be sometimes, especially with a hurt back from picking up a big Spruce round wrong to make a step for the dog..LOL

Pulled over for to heat up some taco's for lunch with the solar generator..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My C-Pap 12 volt cord either went caput or my C-Pap machine is going out as it would not work on 12 volt and the wife panicked..So I plugged it into one of the three AC receptacles and saw my Phillips C-Pap only draws 22 watts(compared to 14 watts on DC) without the humidifier on..Problem solved and happy wife with the Jackery 1000..I plugged in the Engel fridge/freezer I have and it draws 36 watts and just one 100 watt Jackery solar panel keeps the refer going all day and ads juice to the lithium battery to boot..
finally there and set up.

Being brand new to solar, I had no idea what to expect..First time setting it up it put out 81 watts to the battery through a MPPT controller..The wind blew it down, so laying flat, like if it was mounted on the roof, put out only 45 watts..On average one 100 watt panel puts in about 55-60 watts to the built in MPPT controller,two panels puts in 125-130 watts,depending on the sun..

Chasing the sun..LOL

It's hard not to be in the shade in the forest and camps I use, so I was real hesitant as to how solar would work or if at all..Our camp only got 5 hours of sunlight on a good day, but one 100 watt solar panel recharged the Jackery solar station from 79% to 100% in less than that..There wasn't enough extension cables to use the other 100 watt panel..I have a total of 28 feet of cable from the panel to the MPPT controller built into it.

As far as I could go..

The 12 volt cigarette lighter charger puts in about 50 watts charging and the 120 volt AC charger does 160 while the solar depends..I found on AC it charges about 15% an hour/10% on solar..

All in all,this is pretty cool,maybe not for everyone,but some like myself in a TC..One can use it for his truck camper or the house when the power goes out,to make coffee/run the C-pap/the fan on a wood stove/instapot etc..It is nice in a TC just to pull over and use the microwave for lunch or brew up a cup of coffee without messing with a gen set then get back on the road..

BP-B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good looking rig.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Fuse the power supply leads that feed to your 12 volt, had a solar charger relay short out and burned my boat top! Have everything fuse protected now!

Was about a 3k expense that insurance paid, State Farm subrogated on the relay manufacture, lots of solar charger fires when I googled it.

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/14/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.