Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.opb.org/article/2020/08/14/oregon-state-police-portland-leave-protest/
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A line of Oregon state troopers prepares to disperse protesters from the area around the federal courthouse and Multnomah County Justice Center on day 76 of protests against systemic racism and police violence.

The Oregon State Police troopers who have been guarding the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse in downtown Portland have left the city as of Thursday, an OSP spokesperson confirmed.

“At this time we are inclined to move those resources back to counties where prosecution of criminal conduct is still a priority,” said OSP Capt. Timothy Fox, in an apparent jab at District Attorney Mike Schmidt’s recent announcement that he would be dropping a significant portion of the more than 500 protester cases brought over the course of the demonstrations.

The state police were brought in July 30 to protect the federal property for two weeks as part of a deal negotiated between Gov. Kate Brown and Vice President Mike Pence to get a surge of federal officers off Portland streets. The federal officers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Federal Protective Service and U.S. Marshals were sent as part of President Trump’s executive order protecting statues and monuments in response to what the order called “criminal violence.”

They were largely seen as a provocation during nightly protests for racial justice in the city. The federal officers’ actions helped reinvigorate a protest movement which had dwindled in late June. By mid-July, thousands of people were gathering nightly downtown for demonstrations against the federal law enforcement presence. Those nights routinely ended in violence, with federal officers saturating downtown blocks with tear gas and impact munitions to disperse the largely nonviolent protesters.

“I think there’s absolutely no question that by having Oregonians there, it has made a substantial difference in what is happening in downtown Portland,” Brown said in press conference earlier this week, after demonstrations had again reduced in size. “And of course getting Trump’s troops off the streets of downtown Portland has substantially calmed things down.”

Brown said it’s important that the state turn its focus to addressing systemic racism in the criminal justice system, health care and education.

An official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who was not authorized to speak on the record said Oregon State Police played a critical role and improved the situation on the ground.

“The governor and Oregon police really delivered,” the official said. “We applaud what they did here, we’re disappointed that they’re pulling out. We’re all going to try and keep the momentum going that they started.”

The official said Portland Police will take over the role from OSP, which includes preventing an autonomous zone in the park blocks outside the federal courthouse.

The official said Customs and Border Protection officers are still in the area, if needed, but declined to provide specific numbers of officers and agents.

The sense of cautious optimism could be put to the test in coming days.

Related: Some federal officers could remain in Portland through November

On Wednesday night, after nearly two weeks of mostly demonstrating elsewhere in the city, hundreds of protesters returned to the Multnomah County Justice Center and federal courthouse. After listening to people speak about systemic racism, protesters gathered in front of the federal courthouse. There were chants of “Black lives matter” and “no good cops in a racist system.” Some people set small fires on the street, and occasionally a protester would set off a firework.

Shortly before midnight, the Portland Police Bureau — with help from OSP — declared an unlawful assembly and dispersed the crowd. Officers used batons, smoke grenades and impact munitions as they pushed protesters west from downtown, shoving people to the ground who were moving too slowly. Some demonstrators threw fireworks, paint or objects at officers. Eventually, local law enforcement used tear gas to drive protesters away from downtown.

PPB did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Who couldn’t see this coming.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several of the metro area police forces won't work with Portland Police because they can't expect to not be thrown under the bus by the Portland 'leaders'.

More and more of the people I hang out with are saying let it burn, declare a federal emergency, and arrest the city council and mayor.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They reneged on their agreement with the Trump Administration.

Surprise.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve
Several of the metro area police forces won't work with Portland Police because they can't expect to not be thrown under the bus by the Portland 'leaders'.

More and more of the people I hang out with are saying let it burn, declare a federal emergency, and arrest the city council and mayor.

Patriot Guard, hunting license, no daily bag limit. Time to end this.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Portland can burn to the ground, for all I care

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brown and Wheeler need to be taken out and beaten senseless.

That would be a good start to a great protest.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Patriot Guard, hunting license, no daily bag limit. Time to end this.

Yup. The local tyrants responsible are easy to find and live somewhere nearby.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I remember a handful of Oregonians ready to take up arms against the BLM when Ol' Bundy was having a disgusto.

Guess this don't rate their time.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When they destroy the courthouse, send Portland the bill or deduct it from Oregon federal funding. They'll just take it out of the police budget.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are going to be trashed even more than they are now.

Fire sale anyone?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like a solid plan...Especially, arresting the city council and mayor. Bonus points for locking up the governor and her crew of dipshîts in Salem.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

My 93 year old Grandmother who was just released from a Portland hospital today, and my aunt and uncle who are caring for her, plus their kids **really** appreciate your support. Dumbfugg.

They are all dead red conservatives and refuse to give up the fight.

GFY.

You idiots who write off entire cities and wish entire metro areas to burn to the ground are not true Americans.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
....the blood of patriots and tyrants...

Sad.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well there is a better way, don't arrest them, just beat the schiit out of them..problem solved.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Brown and Wheeler need to be taken out and beaten senseless.

That would be a good start to a great protest.

May be hard to do. They’d need an infusion of sense. Otherwise there would be little to nothing to work with.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The mayor of Portland supports Antifa, the DA blocks ICE busses in Bend with the rest of the mob, charges are dropped against criminals, why should LEOs put themselves in danger anymore when anything they do is highly scrutinized? Let Portland burn until the people, locals, say enough is enough and deal with it themselves. The people need to let these punks know this isn't okay and won't be tolerated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
The mayor of Portland supports Antifa, the DA blocks ICE busses in Bend with the rest of the mob, charges are dropped against criminals, why should LEOs put themselves in danger anymore when anything they do is highly scrutinized? Let Portland burn until the people, locals, say enough is enough and deal with it themselves. The people need to let these punks know this isn't okay and won't be tolerated.

I wouldn't even call it scrutinized. It's just commie propaganda.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by duck911

My 93 year old Grandmother who was just released from a Portland hospital today, and my aunt and uncle who are caring for her, plus their kids **really** appreciate your support. Dumbfugg.

GFY.

You idiots who write off entire cities and wish entire metro areas to burn to the ground are not true Americans.

I don't believe anybody from your family is conservative.

If they were you wouldn't have grown up to be such a cry baby bitch.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by duck911

GFY.

I don't believe anybody from your family is conservative.

If they were you wouldn't have grown up to be such a cry baby bitch.

ROFLMAO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.