Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
A mere 30 years too late, this morning on Fox News, biologists have now determined they are going to have to start killing pinnipeds if they want to have any chance of saving salmon populations in the Columbia system.
The same thing that commercial and sport fishermen have been tearing their hair out over for decades. One can only wonder if it's going to take another thirty years to get to the other dozen major river systems, on the west coast. Meantime the idiots in charge run around screaming, "climate change, global warming, rip out the hydro-power dams". No one knows how many salmon a seal will kill, like wolves, they kill for sport, but it's pretty clear that each female salmon lays from 2000 to 5000 eggs. Apparently biologists don't take math courses in college.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently biologists don't take math courses in college.

How can they when they are being indoctrinated to push other agendas?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The way I first read this, I was assuming it was saying the Salmon are killing the seals...

Maybe I need to take up drinking coffee if I am going to keep waking up this early in the morning...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, the tragedy of the missing little hyphen. The thread title as written means Columbia salmon are killing seals. What you meant was the opposite. It should have read "Columbia Salmon-killing Seals." Or better yet, "Columbia Seals Are Killing Salmon".

I only clicked because I wondered how salmon kill seals.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Still...you gotta admit I'm doin' fair for somebody that left high school before the diplomas were handed out.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That title threw me also, but I just started my first coffee and thought it was kind of weird. But I'm still not fully functional yet.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sea lions, not seals. We fish the lower Umpqua and the seals are thick. We lost a couple of salmon last year to seals.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know, after that screwup, I'll start an new thread, titled, "Seals-eatum heap salmon". Followed by main text, "white doctor man say killem seals (or sea lions, your preference).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oh, the tragedy of the missing little hyphen. The thread title as written means Columbia salmon are killing seals. What you meant was the opposite. It should have read "Columbia Salmon-killing Seals." Or better yet, "Columbia Seals Are Killing Salmon".

It's called clickbait. laugh laugh laugh

Consider this a lesson in modern journalism.

Last edited by Tyrone; 08/15/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Like... Let's eat, Grandma not Let's eat Grandma.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You wanna help Jack off the mule?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Damn, I guess I’ll have to forego grilled salmon if it’s toxic enough to kill seals.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by aalf

You wanna help Jack off the mule?

No, Mr. Meoff doesn’t need any help.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The story I read said that firearms will not be permitted so I assume some very expensive inhumane trapping, lethal injection method will be implemented. Which will create a public outcry and a court order to stop the killing. What would be wrong with a rifle bullet and let them wash out to sea? I've heard the Stellar Sea Lion can weigh over a ton. How do you properly dispose of a sea lion?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Me too!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This thread is worthless without pics of salmon killing seals. smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Marine Mammal Act was as stupid as the Wild Horse and Burro Act, passed by bleeding hearts with no thought about what would happen when their efforts worked too well. Both laws have caused extreme overpopulatons with no legal means of reversing it.

I can't find the figures at the moment but the pounds of salmon killed every day by sea lions in the Columbia are astounding, something like 50k a day IIRC.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's a crying shame that the essential oils from pinnipeds don't make good boot grease...there is enough fire members demanding exotic boot greases to solve the whole dam(n) problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Marine Mammal Act was as stupid as the Wild Horse and Burro Act, passed by bleeding hearts with no thought about what would happen when their efforts worked too well. Both laws have caused extreme overpopulatons with no legal means of reversing it.

I can't find the figures at the moment but the pounds of salmon killed every day by sea lions in the Columbia are astounding, something like 50k a day IIRC.

Yep

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The ole dangling participle strikes again!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.